Pre-wedding Parties

Opinions needed - Bridal Shower Idea

Hi ladies - I am planning my sister's bridal shower. It's a surprise shower, but she mentioned that she would rather not have a wishing well but she wants scratch offs (instead guests bring one) or each guest bring a recipe.

I don't know but in my opinion (don't mean to offend anyone) I like the recipe idea much better than the scratch off one. I know it's what she wants, but she won't be upset if she doesn't have it. She saw the idea in an invitation she got for someone's shower and thought it was cool.

I have mixed feelings about it, I don't mean to be snarky when I say this, but it seems tacky? I don't know. Does anyone agree?

Re: Opinions needed - Bridal Shower Idea

• I'm not sure how the wishing well, scratch offs, and recipes relate....they all seem like different traditions to me.  I personally also wouldn't want the scratch offs, i think it's slightly tacky, but I wouldn't think badly of someone for having them at a bridal shower I went to.  And it seems like your sister wouldn't have mentioned it if she didn't want it....even if she "says" it doesn't matter.

Do you have to pick either/or for the scratch offs and recipes?  Can't you do both?
    127image 88image 39imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  •  I'd want to pick one idea. It may be a lot to ask of guests to bring a recipe, scratch off, and a gift.

I will figure it out, I just wanted to get some opinions :)
  • The recipe idea is great and meaningful, and doesn't cost your guests a thing.  However, a shower really is a gift giving event, and I think guests will expect to bring a gift (and probably will even if theyre also bringing a recipe).  As for the scratch-off idea...not a good idea, sorry.  Because, like I said, a shower is a gift giving event, giving her a pile of scratch offs isn't really appropriate.  Have a traditional shower (where people bring gifts) and include something along the lines of "We'd love to help the bride get started off in her new marriage, so please bring your favorite recipe to share!" or something like that.
  • I agree, asking each guests to bring a scratch off ticket is rude. It's the same as acking for cash, even it it's only a small amount.

The recipe idea is sweet, though. You could enclose a recipe card or two  in each invitation so the cards will be easy to organize in a file box or book.

• One of my showers had the recipe theme. The hostesses bought me a recipe box and then if guests wanted to they brought recipes. They also brought gifts so it was still a traditional shower. It was great getting family recipes, and a lot of people brought recipes of things they know I love - it was a lot of fun and really meaningful.
  • Achrissy557Achrissy557 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for your replies! I just figured out a good idea :)

I'm def doing the recipe thing and my sister can have both! ... I just found this photo of a "scratch off bouquet"  I can do one of those, from me and my mom this way she can have what she wants :)

Thank goodness for the internet!
  • That's very clever, Chrissy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards