Catholic Weddings
Options

Pregnancy Catholic question

So I know being pregnant exempts me from fasting.  Does it also exempt me from the no-meat rule?  The only reason I ask is this..With how sick I've been, I've been more or less a vegetarian (with the exception of maybe chicken noodle soup or something smaller meat-wise).  Anytime I DO want meat, I take advantage of that.  If it happens on a Friday, am I good to go?  Or do I just skip that meat-wanting occasion?

Re: Pregnancy Catholic question

• Options
    you are probably exempt, but unless its somehow medically necessary for you or your baby to eat meat, id try to avoid it.  you can get protein from other sources.
  • Options
    I've been trying to avoid it, but if you've been really sick, I think your health/the baby's health trumps the abstinence.

DH and I have actually been experimenting with cutting red meat since the beginning of the year.  I haven't been as good as he has, but it's fun to find other sources of protein.
    Anniversary

• Options
    i feel much better since ive cut red meat to a bare minium.

ive had beef only 4x since November 30, and then when i have had it, i only eat Filet Mignon so im getting the least amount of fat (except one time i wanted a cheeseburger, and boy was it good!).

ive increased my fish (great protein source!) and ive experimented more with things like beans/chick peas for protein.

i have found that i dont really  miss the red meat as much as i thought i would.

i think cravings are directly linked to essential nutrients your body is craving.  i think if you get all the things you need you dont crave stuff.  an ice cream craving, for example, probably means you arent getting enough dairy/calcium.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm not really sure about this.  I wonder if Carrie knows?

On a related, but different, note...when I was in Jr High, I always ate meat on Fridays in lent.  And when I was in HS, I never fasted.  I figured the ages are 14 and 18 for a reason, and I was going to eat meat/not fast while I was allowed.  I got SOOO much crap for it at Catholic school.  People would be like "omg it's a Friday and you're eating a turkey sandwich!" and I'd be like "yeah, and I'm 12...learn the dang rules!" 

• Options
    Here's the quote:
    Technically, I don't think I remember seeing an exception for pregnancy for meat--- but use your judgement with your health. 

All Fridays in Lent are days of abstinence from meat.  Here again Catholics will not hold 
    themselves lightly excused, but if there is a serious health problem, this obligation would not 
    apply.

I would imagine that if you're throwing up everything you eat for days, then you can finally stomach some meat protein on Friday-- it would be ok. Your health is the most important thing. 

It's balancing the "holding myself lightly excused" 
  • Options
    Calypso, when I went vegetarian, I was amazed at how much more energy I had.  Oh, and black bean burgers totally taste as good (or better) than regular cheeseburgers if you're like me and mostly love the bun/toppings/condiments lol. 

• Options
    The official US bishop website says 

"Those that are excused from fast and abstinence outside the age limits include the physically or mentally ill including individuals suffering from chronic illnesses such as diabetes.  Also excluded are pregnant or nursing women.  In all cases, common sense should prevail, and ill persons should not further jeopardize their health by fasting."

Anniversary
  • Options
    A friend posted this on FB yesterday, I thought it was interesting regarding meat/fat, etc

Could the increase in energy you felt be related to what you replaced the meat with? More veggies?

• Options

Actually, I always have eaten a lot of veggies. 

• Options
    My mom is so cute and the previous two years made absolutely sure I knew I was exempt from fasting and abstaining from meat (while pregnant and nursing). Chelsea, I was just thinking about the no-meat rule in regards to pregnancy, though, since I am pretty sure I just abstained anyway because I had no reason not to. But I could see how, especially in 1st trimester when I had soooooooo many food aversions, that if something sounded good to me- meat or no meat- I would certainly have eaten it. And I think that would be a good use of the rule... As is your case!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I've been pregnant and/or nursing for the past 3 years. I haven't fasted, buti haven't found abstinence from meat to be burdensome. However, if I were having serious food aversions or not gaining enough weight, I'd rethink it. Personally, if it was just an instance of not having wanted meat for a while and then - BAM! - Friday afternoon you're dying for a roast beef sandwich, I'd try to abstain as long as I was getting adequate protein from other sources like beans and legumes. In that case, I see the meat as a want rather than a need, since I'm getting enough protein, and abstinence during Lent is at least partly about giving up what we want in surrender to God's will. Again, let me reiterate that if I were nutritionally deficient in a way that eating the meat would correct, I'd absolutely put my and my baby's health above abstinence.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited March 2013
    I'm with you, OP.  I'm also 18 weeks pregnant, and I've been NOT abstaining from meat and NOT fasting.  This is my choice based on the American bishops' instruction to "use common sense" when taking care of my health.

I think we have to keep the meaning of Lent in mind: growing in holiness and charity through prayer, fasting, and almsgivng.  These "rules" have a purpose.  I haven't been fasting, but I still pray and do almsgiving extra hard to make it up.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards