Colorado-Denver

Bar Options

Hi Ladies,
I know this is always a topic of discussion, but I am wanting your honest opinions. FI and I can't afford to have an open bar for the entire reception, or even just beer and wine all night. Our location is pretty strict so they don't allow us to bring in our own or make any substitutions within our package.
So, our idea has been to pay a lump amount (probably $500 - $700) to the bar, and when that runs out, people can start paying for their own. But, there are a few people that will be attending that are quite heavy drinkers; not that they'll get wasted, but could easily throw back 6 beers without even thinking. I'm worried that the drinkers will use up our tab and other people, like my mom, won't even get 1 drink paid for by us.
I read a couple of suggestions about making some "nice drink tickets" so that everyone got 2 or 3, for instance, to keep it even. Is this a terrible idea?
Is our limited bar tab okay? On average, it should supply everyone (over 21) with about 2 drinks per person.
We will also have a champagne toast, water, tea, and soda.

TIA!!
Melissa
Photobucket

Re: Bar Options

• spongejenspongejen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i flip flop on this a lot.  on the one hand, i think that you need to do what you can pay for, but on the other hand, i feel like part of being a good host/hostess is providing a great reception for your guests.  how many guests are you having?  i can't even fathom $500-700 NOT covering at least beer and wine for your guests for the night.  we are doing just beer and wine for 80 guests and our estimated cost is $300. 
  • edited December 2011
    I know!! We are looking at about 80 guests, but the beer and wine option for 3 hours is $16/person! This does include soda, then, but is still quite a bit out of our price range. Grrrr dang wedding venues!
    Photobucket
  • spongejenspongejen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ah.  see, we chose a venue that lets us do whatever we want because we did not want to deal with this.  i don't envy you.
  • edited December 2011
    That's freaking ridiculous! Personally, I think the drink tickets are a good way to ensure everyone gets their free booze, and to give a non-verbal cue to the heavy drinkers to take it slow, but I know the etiquette hounds would say that's tacky.  Otherwise, the hosted bar turns into cash bar is fine.  You'll just have to warn mom to make a bee line to the bar right after the processional.
    68 Looking Forward to Mtn Airimage
    31 Afraid of Altitude Sicknessimage
    4 Being Hunted By My Bounty Hunter Bridesmaid image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2010 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Location imageimage{Bio} (updated 3/2)
  • edited December 2011
    i would try and do an open bar for a cocktail hour (if your having one) and then during dinner.  Then turn it into a cash bar after dinner is served.  Have a sign made for the bar that explains open bar for CH and dinner.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • HBookmanHBookman member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jen- We had about 80 people and also estimated around $300 for beer and wine only.  It lasted maybe 45 minutes. This was for the bar prices at our venue, which were very reasonable since they're a non-profit, not a place where we brought in our own.

I think it was because a lot of the people I figured would only have a drink or two, like my MIL, drank way more. All guests lists are different, but I wanted to share our experience with you in case you wanted to over estimate. I wish we would have! (Or that our cat didn't need dental surgery a month before the wedding that ate $500 out of our bar budget, but what can ya do).
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Charlsie. I think hosting an open bar for the CH and dinner is a great compromise. Then you don't have to mess with tickets.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards