Delaware

Looking for recommendations

Hello all!

I am getting married in August 2011, so I'm not planning on booking most vendors, other than our venue, until next summer.  Still, I have been spending a lot of time researching so that when that time comes I am ready.  I'd like to know if any of you in the Wilmington area have recommendations for any of the vendor types listed below. 

String quartet or harpist--we are having an outdoor wedding and I would really like live music, just for the ceremony. I found a group called Sophisticated Strings but haven't heard back from them yet regarding more details.

Florist--will only need bouquets, corsages, etc. since wedding is outdoors and reception centerpieces are provided by the venue

DJ--want typical wedding stuff, nice mix of oldies and some newer songs

Officiant--we have a church we visit sometimes, but the pastor has been ill on/off, plus it's about 45 min. away

Photographer--don't really want to spend more than 2500

I'd love to hear your thoughts, especially about ceremony musicians, as I am having the most trouble finding them.

Thanks!

Re: Looking for recommendations

• edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome!

I heard that Shaw Strings is pretty good.  I saw them at a bridal show at Harry's Savoy last September and they sent me a dvd of stuff they've done.  I then got a letter in the mail about every two months letting me know where they were going to be so I could come and hear them play.  The lady I met was very nice.  I didn't use them for my wedding, but wish I had. 

I used silk flowers for my wedding (for bouquets, bouts, and corsages).  My venue provided everything else.  Everyone thought my flowers were real and I can keep them forever.  I can provide you with my silk florists name and contact info if you'd like it.

I used New Leaf Photography for photos.  One of the owners is a friend of my family, and I got a good deal as i booked them when they first stated.  Their website is www.nleafphoto.com  (if you click on PROOFS) you will see my wedding photos under Rich & Lura. 

I highly suggest you go to a bridal show in the area.  There is one in January at UD.  It's huge and they have a ton of vendors there. 
  • edited December 2011
    Hey there!  I know that you are still a while a way, but my suggestion would be to book now if you can; you will lock in pricing now that may change drastically by next year.  If you are looking for vendors now with pricing you have in mind, and aren't going to book now, please keep in mind that prices will change.

That being said, here is who I have so far!

Belak Flowers- AMAZING.  Barb will probably end up being one of my fave vendors, hands down.  Tonysgurl used her as well, and her flowers were GORGEOUS.  Highly recommend!

Belles and Beaus Photography- I paid $1600 for my all day package WITH albums.  Nicole is a sweetheart, and has some awesome ideas.  Her website is http://www.bellesandbeausphoto.com. I suggest checking it out, and giving her a call!  She will meet with you beforehand, and show you her work, and explain more about the packages (including showing you the FIVE, YES FIVE albums included in the package I got!).

Officiant- Both FI and I are members of St. Philip's Lutheran Church on Kirkwood Hwy, in Pike Creek (next to Petco and Ethan Allen).  Our pastor, Patrick Downes, is WONDERFUL.  He's young (37, I believe), and understands life (he was a lawyer before he became a pastor).  He will do outside weddings, but he does require some pre-marital counseling sessions (approx 3, give or take one, that last about an hour).  If you are looking for a church, I personally suggest you check out a worship service.  The church itself is growing rapidly (so rapidly that the building is too small and we are looking to build a new facility!), and there are TONS of outreach and member programs to join into.  There are 3 services Christmas Eve (5:30 for families, 7:30 and 10:30 candlelight), and I recommend getting there about a half hour early because it fills up FAST.  Either way, Patrick does do outside weddings- email me at msbriarrose@gmail.com for more info, including phone number!

DJ- I haven't booked yet, but we are looking at Tom Barrett.  There are several girls on here and the Philly board that have used him, and were very happy.  Plus, he doesn't charge an arm and a leg- he's $700 for up to 5 hours.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask more questions about these and other vendors- the girls will help you out!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi there :-) 

I could easily recommend all of my vendors, because I absolutely loved them, but for now I'll just recommend my favorite...my DJ, Don Timlin of D&J DJ Service.  He was just awesome, played the perfect mix of music, dance floor packed all night, he was funny but not overly intrusive, and he was one of the biggest reasons my wedding was as wonderful as it was.  Actually, if you're interested and end up checking him out, it's probably a good thing your wedding isn't until 2011.  He gets booked FAST.  He runs a group of a bunch of DJ's, all of which I hear are great, but if you want Don himself (he is the owner), you need to book early.  I booked him 18 months in advance!  He just has such a great personality, he's so knowledgeable, and he makes you feel so comfortable and secure in the fact that your wedding will be fabulous :-)  Check out the website, www.yourcustomdj.com.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I booked DJ's Available out of NJ.  They have a bunch of DJ's that you can choose from to find a match (personality and music choices).  I believe it would not be a problem for them to travel the 1/2 hour to DE.  They are very reasonably priced.  They also have live musicians, lighting and other services you can check out.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the recommendations so far! I am going to a bridal show at Harry's in Jan., so hopefully those string players will be there again!  If anyone else has ideas, I would love to hear them!
  • edited December 2011

Hey!  ditto Brit - book early and get this years rates!  You will save quite a bit :)  Have you booked your venue yet?

Florist--  Barb from Belak's was one of my fav vendors.  She does amazing flowers, and is so sweet!  She's also pretty inexpensive.  I have a full review & pics in my bio.

DJ--  I used Rich Buchanan and thought he was great.  He totally followed my do not play/please play list.  Very easy to work with, again review in bio

Officiant--  Natailie Kita of Soul Mates.  I was a guest at Donna's wedding, and her ceremony made me cry.  We ended up cancelling the guy we had hired (and was starting to show his shady side) and hiring Natalie.  Im so glad we did - I received so many compliments how nice the ceremony was.  Again, review in bio.

Photographer-- Im not sure of pricing, but I really like Issy Schmid Imaging
    www.issyschmidimaging.com  She was a second photographer for another knottie that was married this year, and her pics came out fabulous.

GL!

• edited December 2011
    Tonysgurl--putting down the deposit on Wednesday as long as my mom likes it as much in person as we do (she only saw pictures so far, but she loves them!)
  • edited December 2011
    To where though?  What venue?
  • edited December 2011
    The Farmhouse.  We are officially booked for 8/13/2011!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards