Honeymoon Discussions

Hawaii-what islands?

Hi all,
  We originally were looking into going to Oahu for a week, but we've decided we might want to go to another island.  We hear that Maui is really nice too.  Has anyone gone on a trip and gone to both of these islands?  Is it extremely pricey?  Where would you go first?  We want to stay at the Outrigger in Wikiki, but don't know much about Maui.
Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hawaii-what islands?

• I stayed at the Outrigger Reef in Waikiki years ago, and it was nice, but Waikiki was definitely my least favorite part of our trip to Hawaii.  Too much "big city on a beach" for my taste.

I loved Maui and Kauai.  Kauai is pretty quiet - no real nightlife - but it's gorgeous.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • We skipped Oahu for the same reason as PP. Instead we chose Maui and the Big Island.  We LOVED Maui and liked the Big Island, but prolly would not go back to the BI.
    Maui was everything we thought it would be and more. It felt like "Hawaii" to us and we enjoyed every minute of our stay there. It has everything - touristy spots and secluded beaches. You can be with 100's of people or sit on an empty beach and be alone.
  • I would go to Kauai.  It is the most tropical and least commercialized island.  There are so many great things to do and see....amazing waterfalls.  There is not a ton of night life but we always found a bar or something to do.  Have a great trip!
  • I went to Kauai last Feb...and it was SOOO gorgeous, it is considered the prettiest and least touristy island.  I would highly suggest it! 

We did this fun Zip lining tour through Just Live (Tree top tour), a Kayak/hiking tour to a hidden waterfall, and some snorkeling. Best vacation I have been on by far. We also went to a very fun garden luau. 

I stayed at the Marriott in Lihue. It was absolutely breath taking looking out our hotel room overlooking the pool, ocean, and the mountains in the background. They offer everything at the hotel and are pretty centrally located on the island itself...allowing for easy travel in both directions. 

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lihhi-kauai-marriott-resort-and-beach-club/

Cool  Have fun!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you for the suggestions!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We loved everything about Maui.  We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua.  The Wailea area is really nice too with white sand beaches.  Kapalua is more secluded though with a private beach (in that you can only access it through the Ritz) so we thought it was perfect for a honeymoon.

• We also didnt know what island to go to so we decided to do a cruise (NCL) that goes to 4 of them. it leaves from oahu and spends 2 days in maui, kauai, and hawaii.

• Maui & Big Island are my faves, but each island has a different vibe. What I like, you might hate!
  • We spent a week on Maui and flew over to Oahu for the day and did a tour of Pearl Harbor and Honolulu. We loved everything about Maui there was plenty to do there whether you want to explore or just relax on the beach.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards