Latino Weddings

Need help with figuring out the language for the Reception

Ok, so  my family is American and nobody but, myself speaks Spanish and on FI's side it is, half-half, his cousins and uncles speak English to an extent but, his parents and sisters do not, they are in Mexico and have never been here. I know I can't have the DJ speaking in just English or Spanish so, my question is, how do I go about this so, that my family isn't lost and his family isn't lost?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need help with figuring out the language for the Reception

• edited December 2011
    This is tough.  But, I would say figure out what most people would understand and have the dj use that language first and then translate to the second language.  And in reality...most things you will have plenty of time to say both translations and it shouldn't throw things off.  For the introduction, he can introduce that he is going to be introducing the grand couple in both languages...then have some kind of musical build up, then when he says your names, everyone will understand that!  And for most other things, he can just make both announcements.  We are having my mother say a prayer over the meal in English and his father say a prayer over the meal in Spanish.  And, if you have a schedule for how the events of the reception, you could always have that available in both English and Spanish and then people know what to expect.  But, really people will be able to look and get an idea.  If you guys are by the cake, its probably cake cutting time.  And there is plenty of time for the dj to say in both languages that you are ready to cut the cake.  I would say for toasts, just have some in English and some in Spanish.  I wouldn't worry about translating those...we aren't.  Hope that wasn't too long and was helpful.
  • edited December 2011

bilingual DJ ?

We wanted our officiant to be bilingual because our family speaks spanish but not very many of our friends. You'll most likely find one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    fam6: That is what we are doing in the ceremony, we are doing everything in Spanish because his English is about 30% and I think it is more important that we both understand everything said than our guests but, we are having super long programs where I am having the ceremony wrote out in English on the English programs and even though we are speaking it, I am also having it wrote out in Spanish on the Spanish programs, I guess I could do that for the reception but, just do like an order of events, maybe?

Mioh 1: Yeah I thought so too but, it seems all the bilingual DJ's I find do not do Duranguense, Banda, and other music like that, they only do reggeaton, merengue, and others that none of FI family and muchless him listens to or even likes the least bit. If it was just my taste in music, I would go for it, I absolutely love reggeaton, bachata, and all but, he can't stand it.

We live in a mainly Hispanic area and you would not even begin to belive how hard it was to find a bilingual officiant since we are not having our church wedding here.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    On the topic of finding a bilingual dj...have you ever considered finding a dj that you like regarding their music and how they control the flow of music throughout an event.  Then have a seperate MC, that is bilingual and can concontrate on informing everyone and keeping things on track the way you want them.  This could be someone you hire or even a friend or family member that is bilingual.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards