Christian Weddings
Options

Couples Devotions

Maybe I was naive, but when I was younger I always pictured myself doing devotions with my husband on a regular basis. Fast forward, we both work crazy hours and haven't gotten into the habit of taking that time together more than once a week maybe.

Do you do devotions with your DH/FI?

How often?

What do you do? Read together? Pray together?

Re: Couples Devotions

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We have started to a few times, but we always get sidetracked with life. It sucks, I know, but its just hard. The first thing we did was read through "Wild at Heart" together, he did the guy's manual and I just made notes and we discussed it. The goal had been to do the same with "Captivating" but it didn't happen...he finished "Wild at Heart" before me because he wanted to read "the girl one", because I told him how eye opening it was even for me AS a girl, and I never caught up. Although I did tell him that when I read Captivating I swore the guy I married would have to read it...so he has homework lol.

An idea I had was doing the One Year Bible together...I suggested we both read the passages for the day, make notes about it, and discuss it together. That way we were both reading the same things and discussing it together.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did devotions every day in college. Now we live apart from each other until the wedding and we never get to do devotions together. It's really sad and I don't like it. We tried over the phone, but we both got really busy and didn't have time for it, and the 10 minutes we had to talk in the day we wanted to talk about each others days.... I really hope it changes when we are married
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, BF and I don't do that together now (we do our own things) but I'm like you Kat, in that I always pictured us doing things like that together later on (like engaged and married). But I know how often that doesn't happen :/

I'm a leader for the teen youth group at my church, and we had our bible study tonight where we were actually talking about the importance of daily "appointments" with God. I'm terrible at forcing myself to sit down and work through a book (in fact, I should be doing that right now!) but it really reminded me of how important it is to get involved in spiritual time. Even though sometimes things like school work and sleeping take priority, I know they shouldn't. Like I told my girls tonight, even if you just take 10 minutes a day at first- it's still 10 solid minutes, and 10 minutes isn't that hard to find time for.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We just got a wonderful devotion book, called "To Live with Christ," by Bo Giertz.  The devotions start on the first Sunday in Advent, so we are planning on reading through them at dinnertime starting then. 

We tried doing devotions at night, but I would rather read my book for fun, or we are just too tired to read at all.  Dinner time works best for us, because we have dinner together 95% of the time.  Breakfast would also work well for us, but we're kind of busy in the mornings.

Having this book with an actual plan that follows the year will help us stay on track, I think.  It will most likely supplement the readings and sermons each day we have church and there is one specified for each day, following the church calendar, not just the calendar year.
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are not alone.  We got a couple's devotional for our wedding and I would read them every night for the first month.  We have not done it lately and I don't have an excuse.  It is something that I should make as a priority.

I like Jeffie's idea of dinner time because we eat dinner together almost every night.  The book sounds interesting too.  I think I'll look into getting it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't get my FI into a couple's devotional.  I really want to do one, and I have done them in a past relationship with pretty good consistency.  My FI just thinks they're cheesy and that he'd have too much trouble sticking with it, so he doesn't even want to start.  Is that a red flag or just him being a guy?  Anything I can do about that?
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_couples-devotions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:14dc26d3-2232-4383-99e9-70001f9df3fcPost:fc0382d2-7e04-4233-bed7-05f790090991">Re: Couples Devotions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't get my FI into a couple's devotional.  I really want to do one, and I have done them in a past relationship with pretty good consistency.  My FI just thinks they're cheesy and that he'd have too much trouble sticking with it, so he doesn't even want to start.  Is that a red flag or just him being a guy?  Anything I can do about that?
    Posted by sessionswedding[/QUOTE]

Does he not want to do a couple's devotional book or is it about devotion time in general? If he doesn't like devotional books, I can understand that. Some people really don't. Perhaps he just hasn't found one he likes. But if it wsa about devotional time in general, it would be a red flag to me. I do think it's important for a relationship to grow spiritually together, as well as emotionally and (eventually) physically.
  • Options
    HeartOverMindHeartOverMind member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_couples-devotions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:14dc26d3-2232-4383-99e9-70001f9df3fcPost:fc0382d2-7e04-4233-bed7-05f790090991">Re: Couples Devotions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't get my FI into a couple's devotional.  I really want to do one, and I have done them in a past relationship with pretty good consistency.  <strong>My FI just thinks they're cheesy and that he'd have too much trouble sticking with it, so he doesn't even want to start.  Is that a red flag or just him being a guy?  Anything I can do about that?
    </strong>Posted by sessionswedding[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel. My BF is the same way. It really concerned me because I bought a book for us to read together and he said he would read it with me. When it came in the mail, I ended up reading it alone. Several months later... I'm reading it again, this time with him. (We just started it on Wed!)

I prayed about it and I communicated how important it was to me (a couple of times I got really upset), but eventually he gave in.  I'm continuing to pray that he will get something out of it and God will stir in his heart again. Because it's important that the man I marry has a heart for God and I've been so patient with my BF. But he needs to be there spiritually for me and I need to be there spirtually for him.

So my advice is just to communicate with him and pray about it.
    "Why does a girl have to be so silly to catch a husband?" ~~~Scarlett O'Hara Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I talked to my FI about it and he would rather attend a group study at our church once a week.  He's also feeling pretty good about our premarital counseling that we're gonna have to do at church.  I know he's against the devotional books because - like I said - he thinks they're really cheesy.  I personally think he's against a daily devotional because we're both really busy and we'd just be setting ourselves up to fail if we tried that approach.

image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards