Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Did I pay too much for insurance?

I just got my ring insured, I did it online through Jewelers Mutual and paid $190 for the year. I saw a few ports that people only paid liike $30 for the year? thats a big difference??

Re: Did I pay too much for insurance?

• Options
    The cost of the insurance is going to depending on how much it appraised for, the deductible, etc. So it's hard to do a comparison against what someone else paid. I would check around with other insurance companies and just see how much they would have charged you to insure your ring. If you're paying too much then you can try and cancel your policy or wait until next year to get a cheaper rate.
  • Options
    I'm paying $12/$1000 for my insurance. This is a yearly rate.
    August 2011: E-Pic! Photobucket
    229 image Invited to celebrate!
    191 image Remembered to RSVP!
    26 image Can't make it
    7 image Got lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    For my 2K ring, I pay 35 a year with no deductible. It depends on the cost of the jewelry, your location, and your deductible.
  • Options
    I don't know how much cheaper this would make it, but if you homeowners insurance, you could look into scheduling the ring onto that policy instead of having just a policy for the ring. I've heard of people doing this, and it usually is only a few extra dollars a year ... unless you've got a ring that's worth like  $40,000.

Another suggestion, depending what type of other insurances you have (Auto, home, etc), you could see if the company that insures those things writes a "personal articles floater" (People somtimes use these for valauble items like pieces of art and furs as well as jewelry). Going through an agency that writes multiple types of policies (And not just specifically jewlery) might be able to provide a more competitive price.

But most prices will be based on what the ring is appraised for (And what state your in will affect the rates as well). So if it's an exceptionally valuable ring, it really might cost that much to have it insured anywhere.

Hope this was of some use!

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    depends on your ring appraisal...we pay 380 a year and my ring was appraised at 24K
  • Options
    I get mine insured through my renters insurance and it's only like $20 a year.  My ring is around $1000.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards