Second Weddings

NWR: The Pink Vaccine

Recently, I read that a vaccine to prevent breast cancer sits on the shelf, awaiting $6 million in funding until trials can begin.  WTF??? With the billions raised by Komen (and others), this group cannot get the funding they need??  There must be more to the story.

I, for one, want to find out why this is stalled.  Here's a link to the website: http://thepinkvaccine.wordpress.com/blog/  Spread the word.

Why is this important to me?  My mother is a 29-year survivor.  My cousin is a 5 year survivor.  One of my best friends, in remission for 3 years, learned last year she had IBC in the other breast, thus embarking on the path of another mastectomy, radiation, chemo, etc.  Enough said.

Re: NWR: The Pink Vaccine

• I posted multiple links to the pink vaccine to make people more aware on my Facebook page.
  • Ok, well, there are lots of reasons why the trials won't begin. Usually the 6 million is the tip of the iceberg. First, it is incredibly difficult to get through IRB clearance for clinical trials. To conduct them in this country is even worse, even with IRB clearance. Then there is the data collection, analysis, publication and finally, FDA approval. The personnell for all this would push that WAY above 6 mil in my estimation, so I'm not sure how they arrived at that number, but I haven't read a whole lot on that particular vaccine so there you have it.
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • I forgot to mention that breast cancer is in my family, too. And 8 years ago I found a lump. It wasn't cancer, but I'm followed pretty closely by my docs now. They offered me the genetic test, but I declined that opportunity. It wasn't going to change anything I did women who test positive can opt for hysterectomy and bilateral masectomy so I just do the mammograms and ultrasounds 2x/yr.
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Handfast is right about why it is probably not yet available (funding, personel, testing, human testing, sufficient time following subjects post-testing to draw firm conclusions, FDA approval, etc.).  There is also a treatment in testing and awaiting FDA approval that has been demonstrated to put any form of cancer into remission - about three years ago, it had only been tested on lab rats and was awaiting approval to begin testing on human subjects; it was still 5 years away, minimum, of being released to the medical industry.  But the process to become an FDA-approved medication takes ~10 years and cannot be expedited.  R&D moves slower than a sloth, whatever the stakes are.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards