Wedding Party

Jr Bridesmaids

I have never been to a wedding where they have had Jr Bridesmaids before. I have four in mine (I think this is a little ridiculous but I NEED to have my nieces in my wedding!) I am having them walk down the aisle and still have flowers but they will not be standing up during the ceremony, will just be in the front row. 

I am never sure of picking different dresses/colors for weddings - would it be OK for them to be in a complimentary color to the bridesmaids dresses with a different style dress? Does have any pictures of this?

Re: Jr Bridesmaids

• How old are your nieces?

The whole Junior BM notion is ridiculous.  Just make them BMs.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Definitely ditch the "Junior" title.

For example, if your bridesmaids are wearing a dress like this:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Satin-Gown-with-Side-Drape-Brooch-8567_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Long-Bridesmaid-Dresses

The younger girls (presumably under high school age) could wear a style like this:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Junior-Bridesmaid-Long-Satin-Gown-JB1675_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Junior-Bridesmaids

I'd need to know which bridesmaids dresses and color you have chosen to give better recommendations.
  • I have a junior bridesmaid in my wedding party. She's nine years old. My bridesmaids got their dresses from David's Bridal so I told them to pick a dress in the right color and fabric. As long as they stay in the same shade and fabric family, I think it'll all blend well. Happy planning!
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_jr-bridesmaids-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:1d4ef529-7e41-4f11-bfb8-8d2fca2fbdf7Post:6a9be3bb-2e83-471e-91de-25e6dd65c597">Jr Bridesmaids</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have never been to a wedding where they have had Jr Bridesmaids before. I have four in mine (I think this is a little ridiculous but I NEED to have my nieces in my wedding!) I am having them walk down the aisle and still have flowers but they will not be standing up during the ceremony, will just be in the front row.  I am never sure of picking different dresses/colors for weddings - would it be OK for them to be in a complimentary color to the bridesmaids dresses with a different style dress? Does have any pictures of this?
    Posted by tortorar[/QUOTE]
    I think it's fine to do a different style with a color that looks good together.
    To be completely honest, I think it's best to look at the style and color and try to do at least one of those the same. But, honestly, even if the dresses are completely differently, they'll probably look good.
  • Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2013
    I'd presume the dress styles would have to be different; since they don't make identical dresses for kids and adults.  I wouldn't go TOTALLY different; at least keep the formality and probably the material the same, but it's fine for them to be a little different.  I also think complimentary colors is fine.  I attended a wedding two summers ago where the little FG was in pink with a green sash while the BMs were in green and I thought it was really cute.  When I googled junior bridesmaid there's a whole bunch of images most with the MOH different, but the concept is the same - dresses can 'go' without matching.

ETA - personal suggestion - avoid spaghetti straps for the kids.  For some reason bridal lines think they can just take a strapless design and toss spaghetti's on it and that makes it 'kid appropriate'.  It doesn't; those straps break and I've personally witnessed it.  Give them some thicker straps.
  • I've learned today that asking for advice on this forum is a waste of time. This is YOUR wedding.. As long as you and your fianc agree.. Do what you want! I think a complimentary color would be adorable! I have 3 junior bridesmaids in my wedding and wish I would have thought of that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards