Military Brides

Arch of Swords for Navy Bride??

My daughter is Navy enlisted and we are wondering if it is possible to have an Arch of Swords done at her wedding in Ohio...no naval bases close by. If so, how do we go about getting the info needed? Thanks so much for any help that is given!!

Re: Arch of Swords for Navy Bride??

• We has a Marine Corps base near us and since my fianc is not at that base they would not do the Arch of Swords for us. I hope you have better luck than we are!
  • Even if there was a base close by, most units don't support those requests (most units don't even have swords or sabers in their property inventory).  Your best bet would be to have friends of theirs do it (and you'd most likely have to shell out the money to purchase the swords- typically about $100 ea), OR maybe try a local college's ROTC department?  Good luck!

• I am almost 100% sure only Naval Officers can do the Arch of Swords.
    Photobucket
  • IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Or NCOs?  But really I think the Arch is most meaningful when you know the people in them...since the whole point is welcoming the non-military member to the branch family. 
  • Does the Navy have swords/sabers?  If they do, I'm sure it is like the other branches in that you have to meet certain rank requirements to rate an arch.  In the Army, it's NCOs/Officers.  Also, like some of the other ladies said, most units do not sponsor those events.  It is personal friends and unit members of the service memeber who perform that task.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_arch-of-swords-for-navy-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ed81d6b8-51d0-4d74-87c2-2090acf6a022Post:7da353af-9324-41ca-8638-087af9e2c8b1">Re: Arch of Swords for Navy Bride??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Even if there was a base close by, most units don't support those requests (most units don't even have swords or sabers in their property inventory).  Your best bet would be to have friends of theirs do it (and you'd most likely have to shell out the money to purchase the swords- typically about $100 ea), OR maybe try a local college's ROTC department?  Good luck!
    Posted by TeamBaby[/QUOTE]

Hahaha... oh man, the USMC Officer sword was around $700!  But most USMC Officers have their own sword, so we don't have to worry about it for our arch.

OP, usually arch of swords are reserved for Officers and NCOs (Non-Commissioned Officers, which means higher ranked Enlisted).  So lower ranking Enlisted can't have them - I don't know if this applies to your daughter?  If she's an O or an NCO, I'd recommend that they invite friends who could do it.  It's so much more meaningful, as the other ladies mentioned, since it's a welcoming ceremony.  And it's a bit odd to be welcomed by strangers. 

Plus when it's strangers, it's awkward for everyone.  My FI participated in a casual acquaintance's wedding in the arch of swords, and we felt horribly awkward at this small wedding - there were 6 military guests for the arch and their spouses/girlfriends, so 12 people at an 80 person wedding who didn't even know the bride & groom!  It was awkward.  Painfully so.  And it made us all feel like the guys in uniform were there as some sort of show piece.  On a day when it's supposed to be all about the bride & the groom, it felt really awkward to be some sort of sideshow attraction.

I also think it would be a bit weird if the bride was the service member and chose not to wear a uniform (as most brides choose to wear a white dress), as then the arch of swords will appear as if it is for two civilians, since she won't be in uniform.

Anniversary

• I would suggest that you have friends do it as some of the other ladies point out it is much more meaningful. Also, I work at a university with ROTC and they do not lend or send their guys to do anything like that.  Good luck!
  • I've been researching the same thing.  DF is enlisted Navy and we're planning on a military wedding.  From what I've been told, COs and senior NCOs (E7-E9) are able to have the Arch of Sabers.  I've pretty much been told the same thing that others have said regarding the use of a Color Guard, etc....you're better off (and will have a much better response) if you use close friends to partake in the arch....just remember that the arch can only consist of only COs or only NCOs, it can't be mixed.  COs carry sabers as part of their uniform, as of last year NCOs are able to wear cutlesses (smaller curved swords).  Both pieces (sabers and cutlasses) are quite expensive so make sure whoever will be partaking in the arch either has or is willing to purchase whichever weapon is appropriate.  If you can't find a group of eligible friends to complete the Arch of Sabers you can still perform an arch with enlisted folks in which they salute the couple as they walk by.  I've had a crazy time trying to get straight answers about this particular subject, I hope it helps.    Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_arch-of-swords-for-navy-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ed81d6b8-51d0-4d74-87c2-2090acf6a022Post:8dfa579f-6e7e-4fa7-82da-ba613a9189b1">Arch of Swords for Navy Bride??</a>:
    [QUOTE]My daughter is Navy enlisted and we are wondering if it is possible to have an Arch of Swords done at her wedding in Ohio...no naval bases close by. If so, how do we go about getting the info needed? Thanks so much for any help that is given!!
    Posted by tpleshaw[/QUOTE]
  • I'm an Army NG bride getting married this October and we're planning on an Arc of Sabers, even though he's still enlisted. He's already gotten it approved through his COs, and since he's Honor Guard we're having a Color Guard as well (also was approved). If your daughter's FI isn't an officer, I would have the arch approved with his COs, just to be certain! Have her FI find some buddies to help him out, or at least have it be his job to find the appropriate people to peform the ceremony. I gave that job to my FI, lol!
    What I'm having a HUGE issue with is finding sabers!!!! Anyone have a suggestion where I can find some? His Honor Guard and NG Armory won't give them out unless they're for funerals (morbid yep) and I don't want to have to ask a ROTC unit. Anyone found a site to rent for cheap-er?? THANK YOU!
    Visit Military.weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_arch-of-swords-for-navy-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ed81d6b8-51d0-4d74-87c2-2090acf6a022Post:1b3bd9ff-f655-48db-b629-b60c263b4adc">Re: Arch of Swords for Navy Bride??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm an Army NG bride getting married this October and we're planning on an Arc of Sabers, even though he's still enlisted. He's already gotten it approved through his COs, and since he's Honor Guard we're having a Color Guard as well (also was approved). If your daughter's FI isn't an officer, I would have the arch approved with his COs, just to be certain! Have her FI find some buddies to help him out, or at least have it be his job to find the appropriate people to peform the ceremony. I gave that job to my FI, lol! What I'm having a HUGE issue with is finding sabers!!!! Anyone have a suggestion where I can find some? His Honor Guard and NG Armory won't give them out unless they're for funerals (morbid yep) and I don't want to have to ask a ROTC unit. Anyone found a site to rent for cheap-er?? THANK YOU!
    Posted by julieadamski[/QUOTE]

<div>Hi Julie - I just retired from the Army NG after 26 years on the fulltime (AGR) side of the house.  I just want to clarify something in your post so others coming along later aren't confused. CO's do not have the authority to approve a saber arch.  It isn't something that needs to be requested/authorized through the chain of command.  Now, with your FI being on the Honor Guard maybe permission to use the sabers owned by them was given, but they have no authority to decide who does or doesn't get a saber arch.  The same applies for an honor guard.</div><div>
    </div><div>Is your FI part of an honor guard within his unit or is he a member of your state's honor guard that does funerals?</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards