Wisconsin
Options

What are the top things you remember?

Hi Ladies!

We are getting married on 5/19/12 hopefully downtown Milwaukee and are running into some frustrations.  We want a unique wedding and not have it be the typical ceremony, pictures, cocktail hour, dinner, and dancing kind of wedding.  I feel like all the weddings I have been to were fun, but nothing really stood out in my mind.  I want people to leave my wedding remembering something special. 

So, what is it about a wedding that you remember most?  I know for a lot of people it is the entertainment, as that can make or break a wedding, but I am also looking to see what I should put more of my budget into to make my wedding special. 

I guess we are just torn between having the typical wedding that everyone assumes us to have, or having something totally unique that surprises everyone that they have never seen before.  Ideally, we would like to have a good mix between the two  :)

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Re: What are the top things you remember?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I remember our ceremony and the tender words of hope our priest shared with us.  It was really special.  Also, my niece and nephew reading the "prayers of the faithful" flawlessly was memorable.  I remember my Dad walking me down the aisle.  So those things are by the book, and honestly my guests said that it was one of the most beautiful ceremonies they had ever been to.

As for the reception, guests told me they remembered the personal touches I put on things: drink flags, personal napkins, homemade favors, I had a friend run a photo booth with some props, little messages on each table about me and my husband at Christmastime.  They liked the candy table and the late night snack.

Again, all of these things are pretty by the book, and at the end of the day, I think, if you over think things and try to reinvent the wheel, you just end up driving yourself crazy.

Just make it personal, sincere and showcase your love for each other, and it will be a wonderful wedding. :)

Good luck and congrats!

142 Ready To Celebrate! image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I argree with Portia there are personal touches you can add to be your own flare - tons of boards girls have great ideas so I would check some of them out.  Bios are a good resource too if a knottie has one.
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding were at the reception, the brides aunts were taking pictures of guests and you wrote down some well wishes for the bride and groom. They put the number of the picture on the back of the card, and once they printed the pictures they put them in a photo album. So the couple could actually see the well wishers faces when they read their wishes. It was fun to take pictures, and write to the bride and groom!

Also any personal touches can make people remember your wedding!
    Happy planning! Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • Options
    msteph82msteph82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    People have said the same thing to me over and over again

1.  Our musician at our ceremony.  He was amazing and so us.
    2.  Our reading (Robert Fulgham - The Union)
    3.  Our photobooth!
    4.  The attention to detail
    5.  How in love we were

Hope that helps. :)

And Portial is TOTALLY on point - don't try to reinvent the wheel. Your wedding will be different, don't stress about it.  We've all been there and know how you feel. 
    ~ Missie

Welcome Baby Grace to the world! (via emergency c-section @ 38w2d)
    2/24/12 12:03pm 5lbs, 9oz Birth Story
    imageimageimage
    image image image
    Linky--> EP FB Group - March '12 FB Group <---Linky </b>
  • Options
    gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

We got many compliments on the sermon our minister gave - the right amount of serious and funny with lots of personal touches.

One of our apps (Walleye Cakes from The Grove Restaurant) were a huge hit with our guests - so many of our guests fish and thought it was a great way to serve a fish they catch so often up north.

We had pictures of both of our parents on their wedding days on the altar table and pictures of grandparents on their wedding days on display as well.  We did an anniversary dance instead of the garter and bouquet tosses to honor all the married couples that give us excellent examples to learn from.

We kept the guest list smaller (about 105 guests) so we could spend time talking to everyone - just so much harder with a bigger group.

And the weather - the snowstorm in April - how can you forget that!  Make for great pics! :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been to many weddings recently. What I always notice and remember are the things that made me think "that's totally them!" 

Here's some examples:

1) One wedding, the bride and groom are all about family, so they served their family's recipe for homemade salsa and homemade tortilla chips as the appetizer and it was amazing!

2) One bride and groom took dance lessons for a year and had the most beautifully choreographed first dance I've ever seen! They also had a string quartet instead of a DJ at the reception. It was a small wedding party, so the bride and groom taught us all how to waltz.

3) At one wedding the bride and groom had favorite drinks that they always order when we go out. Those were their signature drinks at the wedding. It was a huge hit and delicious!

4) One bride is a professional baker, so she made her own cake and several other delicious desserts!

5) One groom is a geologist and really into dinosaurs, so the bride had taken two dinosaur figurines and dressed them to look like they were wearing the same outfit as a brides and groom. It was very cute!

6) One couple is obsessed with their dog (at that time a puppy). They dressed him up as a ring bearer and had the flower girl walk him down the aisle.

7) One groom is a guitarist. During the reception, the groomsmen carried the bride on a chair and sat her in the middle of the dance floor, where the groom serenaded her!

8) Another bride and groom love being outdoors, so they had their wedding in a park pavilion. What I loved the most is that they set up croquet and bocce for the guests to play during the cocktail hour!

• Options
    KatieD212KatieD212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    From my wedding:
    - The ceremony musicians- it was a 12 piece string group that I play with...EVERYONE thought they were great!
    - The DJ- we still get compliments on how fun he was, and the reception hall manager even complimented him!
    - I made bathroom baskets and apparently they were a hit
    - My color choices (Deep Purple and Turqiouse)

I thought I would get more compliments on my detailing because I made everything myself and it looked nice, but I didnt really get much feedback- it was more along the entertainment that everyone loved.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Our music was very us.

Our candy buffet was a huge success... to kids and adults both

The firewords topped off our night, a totaly shock and surprise to our guests.

The late night nacho bar was raved about by our guests as well, espeically since I'm such a nacho junkie it would only be nature to have it at the wedding!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards