June 2012 Weddings

Dilema

Hello Everyone! OK. So I just recently got engaged and have been pondering about the location of my wedding. My fiancée claims he doesn't care where it is. My family wants to do a destination wedding because we had already planned on going on a family vacation when my brother returns from Afghanistan. I love the idea of getting married on a beach. However, we brought up the idea to his family but the three main people do NOT agree. His grandma's reaction was "I'm not going, I'm too old." His mother's reaction was "HELL NO!" and his father will NOT fly anywhere (and will make a big deal about EVERYTHING.) My family however cannot afford the family vacation and a wedding. If I cannot be on a beach then I will have the wedding in my hometown anyways and that is still a four hour drive for them. I feel like they will make a big deal out of everything we  do. I'm a very organized individual so I would like to get on the ball with booking a venue or destination wedding where ever it may be. But now his family wont even talk about it... WHAT do I do??

Everyone has been telling me to do what I want to do but I am torn between the two ideas. Do I want everyone to be there or do I want it to be simple and stress free (with or without the in laws?)

Re: Dilema

• Can you get your FI to talk to his family? He may say he doesn't care where it is but he is going to have to decide so he can help you by talking to his family

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • Even though your FI says he does not care where it is, how would he feel if his family was not there?

Is there maybe a financial reason behind his family not agreeing to a destination wedding? Regardless, it would be good for your FI to talk to them about what you guys are hoping for and what they are able to do.
  • My first question is are you and FI paying for the wedding yourselves? I only ask because "He who pays has a say". So if both families are contributing to the wedding then they both have a say about what happens.

I would sit down and talk to FI about the situation first as far what type of wedding you two want and then talk to your families about it. You have plenty of time to find a venue. 
  • you and the FI really need to talk about this. Determine who is paying for the wedding and what's important to you two.

Regardless of the decision that you two make, be sure to be happy!

Congrats on the engagement
  • I agree with talking about who's paying...but I'm going on a different route here though too...you mentioned that you LOVE the idea of a beach wedding....

My FI and I wanted a destination wedding, we're paying for it all, but neither of our families could afford to fly anywhere (and family is important to us)...according to your location (Chicago) it seems to me that you have Lake MI as a GREAT location if you want to have a beach wedding and not have the expense of the travel.  It may not be the EXACT same...but I'm also looking along Lake MI, and I PROMISE that there are some awesome locations...you just have to look! :)

Best of luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I love how you combined both ideas together by making a sandbox in  the alter and having a beach theme. You could always carry the theme to your honeymoon and have a caribbean get away ;) Congrats on getting the location settled. It sounds like its going to turn out beautiful and memorable, especially because its the same wedding location as your parents.
    June 2012-July Siggy Challenge: Ceremony Venue imagePlanning Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards