Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Too many nephews

Between the 2 of us, my fiance and I have 3 nephews that are 3-4 years old that could all potentially be our ring bearer. We want to include the boys but using all 3 to hold 2 rings is a bit extreme and leaving one or two out just doesn't seem fair. Any ideas on how we could maybe make one the ring bearer and include the other two in the ceremony somehow? Our daughter will be 14 months when we get married so we were thinking of having her pulled down the aisle in a wgaon or something by two of the boys and she could be our flower girl then the third boy could be the ring bearer. Any thoughts? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

Re: Too many nephews

• Options
    Do you want the wedding to be about you and your FI, or the kids?

I know many brides nowadays are family focused, but having a troupe of kindergarteners involved seems like a bit much.

Would you be happy buying your daughter a pretty dress and just seating her in the front row with your parent(s)?
    Having your nephews attend as guests with their parents versus having a "role"?

You could still get pictures taken with each of the kids.

I wouldn't want my infant in a wagon pulled by a trio of 4 year olds, that's for sure.
  • Options
    I have to agree the wagon idea seems fraught with the possibility of mishaps.   I'd nix that.   Choose the oldest nephew to be a ring bearer and have the others sit with their parents.  It seems like a tidy way to solve the problem.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't like kids pulled in wagons at weddings. IMO, if a child is not old enough to get him or herself down the aisle, he or she isn't old enough to participate. If you want to include the boys, you could have 1 be the ring bearer and 2 carry a "Here Comes the Bride" banner or something. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

I know people may disagree with my opinion but I think it's fine that you have your daughter pulled down the aisle in a wagon.  She is your daughter and I understand you wanting her involved in the wedding even if its just by being pulled down the aisle in a wagon.  Have one of your nephews pull her down the aisle.  Your other 2 nephews can be ring bearers each holding a pillow with a ring tied to it.  I'm against giving the real rings to ringbearers no matter how old they are.

Now with that being said, just be sure that you won't be upset if any of the children don't feel like doing any of these things on the day of the wedding.  I have 3 children in my wedding and I don't care if they walk or run down the aisle or even if they choose not to make it down the aisle.  I understand that children are children and anything can happen.  Also, I wouldn't have the children stand at the altar but instead they should sit with their families.   Your daughter could sit with your parents or other family members and your nephews with their parents.

And I think it is completely crazy that anyone would think that having children in their wedding will take anything away from the bride and groom.  Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think that the wagon idea is really cute just make the two boys that will be in charge of it practice with a doll in a wagon a few times. Otherwise, making the oldest be the one makes sense. And they're kids. I doubt any of them would be upset if they weren't allowed to do something in the wedding. 
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I wouldn't trust a couple of three year olds to pull a fourteen month old baby down the aisle in a wagon. By that time, your daughter will probably be able to stand, climb or roll out of that wagon. Or the two little guys might accidentally dump her out.

If you want all the kids in your wedding procession, let them wear their best outfits and walk down the aisle. Ring bearers aren't usually trusted with the actual rings, so it doesn't matter what title you give them. Call them junior groomsmen or pages. Your little flower girl should be carried down the aisle or pushed down in her stroller, by an adult that she trusts.

• Options
    I think it's perfectly fine to have your daughter pulled down the aisle.  It will be adorable and everyone will love it.  And it's a great way to include them.

As one PP said, have the boys practice with a wagon before hand with a doll or something in it and do a few trial runs with the real baby with you right near in case everything goes haywire.

However, you will have to be prepared for them to freak out the day of.  My ring bearer is 3 and it's a distinct possiblity that he won't want to day of even though he's said, when asked, that he wants to be in our wedding.

If you decide that you don't want all of them, I don't think it would offend anyone if you decided to have just the oldest nephew as the RB and have the others as guests.
  • Options
    I am so glad to hear someone else having a children-welcome wedding!  We are waiting until our son is 3 to get married so he will remember it.

I personally think that having the kids participate in the wedding is a wonderful idea.  I especially like the idea of the two boys carrying the banner.

I do have to say that the wagon idea might not be such a good one unless it has seat belts.  It also might be a little awkward dealing with it once it gets down the isle.   If she is walking by that point.. can you walk down the isle with her?  (Even if your dad is on the other arm?)

• Options
    That's I nice idea but is it that important to have them all...if it's too hard to choose...just pick the oldest
    ****The Future Mrs. Ikeard**** wedding countdown
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards