Snarky Brides

Ah Hell No

Why does this not surprise me?  

Not a long blog entry, but CN:  girls are basically getting pregnant just so they can audition for Teen Mom on MTV.

Re: Ah Hell No

• That's awful.

The high school where we used to live had "Bring your Baby to School Day".  Nothing like glorifying a bad decision.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Uh...Popeater is citing "industry insiders". Who are they exactly?

Not saying this isn't true, but that article didn't exactly sound like anything more reputable than The National Enquirer.
  • Why am I not surprised.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ah-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8f378280-ae77-4050-91b5-72d07a9d63ccPost:1b8127b2-9ab3-4e73-b2a1-7232478aa911">Re: Ah Hell No</a>:
    [QUOTE]Uh...Popeater is citing "industry insiders". Who are they exactly? Not saying this isn't true, but that article didn't exactly sound like anything more reputable than The National Enquirer.
    Posted by LessThanZero[/QUOTE]

<div>That's just where I read it.  If you google it in the news, there's reputable sources reporting the same.</div>
  • Eh, I don't buy it.  Those same girls, if they really exist, would have just gotten pregnant to have something cute to dress up like a little doll, anyway. 
  • It wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

Or if it weren't. I have no opinion.
  • If you watch teen mom on their web site there is chat along the side. So, so scary. Many 12 year olds openly chat there about their desire to be like Macy. One mom, who chats there constantly, even had her 15 y.o. get pregnant and then her 11 y.o. "want to be like her older sister" and followed suit.
    Photobucket
  • Probably the same ones would have flashed their boobs, etc. at 18 for Joe Francis to be in a video.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ah-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8f378280-ae77-4050-91b5-72d07a9d63ccPost:ad7e1a46-acd2-49fa-a090-1e8b18795a7c">Re: Ah Hell No</a>:
    [QUOTE]They used to say at the school where I taught that pregnancy amongst teens was contagious. <strong> I think MTV started the show so teens could see how difficult it is to be responsible for a baby.</strong>  Now it sounds like it's having the opposite effect.
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

<div>You are right, except two of the girls come from very affluent families and have their parents involved in everything, making it seem much, much easier, imo.</div>
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ah-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8f378280-ae77-4050-91b5-72d07a9d63ccPost:7bcc4474-57a5-4092-b582-c33a5fd9d284">Re: Ah Hell No</a>:
    [QUOTE]Probably the same ones would have flashed their boobs, etc. at 18 for Joe Francis to be in a video.
    Posted by missy68[/QUOTE]

<div>FTW.</div>
    Photobucket
  • Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2010
    Anyone remember 'The Pregnancy Pact'?
    It became a Lifetime movie?

This sounds like that, but it was never proven to be true. 

ETA: I get this from the CN and poster's comments.  I can't open the link at work.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2010
    Eh, I don't know. I just don't buy the argument that this show is responsible for that. I think that if this show wasn't on there'd still be plenty of teens getting pregnant.

I just don't subscribe to the idea that video games and Marilyn Manson made kids shoot up schools or that this show makes girls get pregnant etc. People need to take responsibility for their own actions.
  • There were girls from my home town who would get pregnant just for the financial aid boost, so I do believe girls would do it just for fame/money.
    Photobucket
  • reddy123reddy123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ah-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8f378280-ae77-4050-91b5-72d07a9d63ccPost:517aacf3-6ba7-495e-8848-74bfce94672c">Re: Ah Hell No</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Eh, I don't know. I just don't buy the argument that this show is responsible for that. </strong>I think that if this show wasn't on there'd still be plenty of teens getting pregnant. I just don't subscribe to the idea that video games and Marilyn Manson made kids shoot up schools or that this show makes girls get pregnant etc. People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

<div>Seriously though, if you read the show's chat, there are girls constantly asking how to get on the show, how much are you paid, and how much they want to be like Macy. It's sad.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: But I do agree with you that it's the girl's responsibility and they can't say, "Macy made me do it!"</div>
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ah-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:8f378280-ae77-4050-91b5-72d07a9d63ccPost:62a75c68-380a-4eb3-b653-e5568d1205db">Re: Ah Hell No</a>:
    [QUOTE]Eh, I don't buy it.  Those same girls, if they really exist, would have just gotten pregnant to have something cute to dress up like a little doll, anyway. 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

Exactly! However, I am an adult and want to have children and that show scares me! These girls are having babies, some have terrible pregnancies, morning sickness, frightning deliveries, It almost makes me re-think having children myself! I don't know how these girls feel the urge to have a child after watching it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ah-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8f378280-ae77-4050-91b5-72d07a9d63ccPost:41ba427c-b343-493f-b4e0-e52c7924e25a">Re: Ah Hell No</a>:
    [QUOTE]There were girls from my home town who would get pregnant just for the financial aid boost, so I do believe girls would do it just for fame/money.
    Posted by reddy123[/QUOTE]

Totally agreed. I guess what I'm <em>trying</em> to say is that people who would do things like that aren't very bright, IMO. And I think that even if this show wasn't on they'd still be making stupid decisions based upon their own superficial needs. If it wasn't this it would be something else, KWIM?
  • Yes, LTZ, a lot like missy said. If they didn't get knocked up, they went to Cancun and were on girls gone wild.

Clarification: not talking about teen moms, talking about teen mom's who want to be on reality TV.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ah-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8f378280-ae77-4050-91b5-72d07a9d63ccPost:517aacf3-6ba7-495e-8848-74bfce94672c">Re: Ah Hell No</a>:
    [QUOTE]Eh, I don't know. I just don't buy the argument that this show is responsible for that. I think that if this show wasn't on there'd still be plenty of teens getting pregnant.<strong> I just don't subscribe to the idea that video games and Marilyn Manson made kids shoot up schools or that this show makes girls get pregnant etc. People need to take responsibility for their own actions.</strong>
    I agree with this 100%
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ah-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8f378280-ae77-4050-91b5-72d07a9d63ccPost:517aacf3-6ba7-495e-8848-74bfce94672c">Re: Ah Hell No</a>:
    [QUOTE]Eh, I don't know. I just don't buy the argument that this show is responsible for that. I think that if this show wasn't on there'd still be plenty of teens getting pregnant. I just don't subscribe to the idea that video games and Marilyn Manson made kids shoot up schools or that this show makes girls get pregnant etc. People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

<div>I understand what you're saying here.  I don't think there's an actual increase in teen pregnancy rates or something like that.  But I think they probably did find teenage girls who said 'I wanted to get pregnant so I could be on that show" who wouldn't have gotten pregnant if fame had nothing to do with it.  I think the show just gave them an incentive to become famous.  I think there's a difference between that and music/video games "causing" violence, which I also agree with you on.</div><div>
    </div><div>EDIT:  To follow that up, I would liken these girls to someone who would sleep with a Jersey Shore guy just to get on the show - which has happened.  </div>
  • Oh I've never watched it either, but it's all over the news.  I think some girl sued maybe because of some sex story with a guy on there?  I don't remember.
  • I agree with pp that people need to take responsibility for their own actions.  TV, music, etc. don't MAKE kids/people do things, but it seems to rationalize it for them.  I almost want to say that it makes it easier for them, but that doesn't seem quite right either.
    Anniversary
  • What ever happened to MTV? It used to be super awesome and now it just is a bunch of stupid reality shows and rap videos.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker imagemy read shelf:
    Christina's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ah-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8f378280-ae77-4050-91b5-72d07a9d63ccPost:a18ad58f-56dd-46bd-ab5c-3504e00800d3">Re: Ah Hell No</a>:
    [QUOTE]What ever happened to MTV? It used to be super awesome and now it just is a bunch of stupid reality shows and rap videos.
    Posted by crose29[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Did anyone else ever watch that show that was like aerobics?  In the summer?  I loved that show.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, Say What Karaoke.  I loved it when people got "It's the End of the World" by REM.

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ah-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8f378280-ae77-4050-91b5-72d07a9d63ccPost:a18ad58f-56dd-46bd-ab5c-3504e00800d3">Re: Ah Hell No</a>:
    [QUOTE]What ever happened to MTV? It used to be super awesome and now it just is a bunch of stupid reality shows <strong>and rap videos.</strong>
    Posted by crose29[/QUOTE]

Huh? I didn't know they were playing any music at all.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ah-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:8f378280-ae77-4050-91b5-72d07a9d63ccPost:a18ad58f-56dd-46bd-ab5c-3504e00800d3">Re: Ah Hell No</a>:
    [QUOTE]What ever happened to MTV? It used to be super awesome and now it just is a bunch of stupid reality shows and rap videos.

I want my MTV!

The old one.  I want it back. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ah-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8f378280-ae77-4050-91b5-72d07a9d63ccPost:d950118d-8982-4f80-b064-8d5705372cd4">Re: Ah Hell No</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ah Hell No : I understand what you're saying here.  I don't think there's an actual increase in teen pregnancy rates or something like that.  <strong>But I think they probably did find teenage girls who said 'I wanted to get pregnant so I could be on that show" who wouldn't have gotten pregnant if fame had nothing to do with it.  I think the show just gave them an incentive to become famous. </strong> I think there's a difference between that and music/video games "causing" violence, which I also agree with you on. EDIT:  To follow that up, I would liken these girls to someone who would sleep with a Jersey Shore guy just to get on the show - which has happened.  
    Posted by marissa_claire[/QUOTE]

Yes, but like someone else said, those girls would have done something else stupid to get on TV another way if it wasn't for this.  Personally, while I strongly believe the media has a big influence on this kind of crap, I'm really sick of people totally blaming it (I'm including  the people that say "I got pregnant because of Teen Mom!!!!!!").  It's become just another scapegoat for people to throw their time and energy into "fixing" when really they should be looking at the deeper issues instead.  But they're not, because they're too busy trying to censor the media.  It's led to many things get neglected that are actually a bigger problem, IMO.

/soapbox rant.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ah-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:8f378280-ae77-4050-91b5-72d07a9d63ccPost:a18ad58f-56dd-46bd-ab5c-3504e00800d3">Re: Ah Hell No</a>:

MTV legally changed their name to MTV. They are no longer Music Television. I guess so many people got wrapped up in the reality shows that the videos weren't getting a lot of play. Lucas thinks on their 30th anniversary they should re-boot and play "Video Killed the Radio Star" for 24 hours like they did when they first aired.

It's sad they aren't about the music anymore. Neither is VH1 really.
  • cIn Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ah-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8f378280-ae77-4050-91b5-72d07a9d63ccPost:30704baa-de41-47ec-a005-75bbb7eb09e1">Re: Ah Hell No</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ah Hell No : Huh? I didn't know they were playing any music at all.

Ha! Well if they did I bet its rap.
    Christina's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • It really is a bummer. I miss the old videos and cartoons and back when the Real World was good.

I feel bad for all of the kids that are in this generation, this MTV is all they know :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards