Snarky Brides

What are you reading?

1: What are you reading

2: Whats it about?

3: Would you suggest it?

4: Finished any books since last time?

I finally finished Wicked.  I was sad at how it ended, but I did enjoy it.  I just wish it was a faster read.  I also read Catching Fire and Mockingjay.  They were both really good.  I was a little disappointed in the ending of Mockingjay though.

Right now im reading Blue Bloods.  Its a YA vampire story.  Its ok.  Im only about 60 pages in, and the story is moving slowly but its a fast read (if that makes sense).

I had a hard time getting into a book after reading 2 really good books, but Im really trying to meet my book goal this year since I bombed my goal last year :)
045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
BabyFruit Ticker
DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!

Re: What are you reading?

• Oh!  I also just finished Push.  Its the book Precious was based on, and it was by far the worst book I have read in a long time.  WORST.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Meahg- what page are you on?  I had a hard time with the first 150 pages or so and then I couldnt put it down.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:3d240c23-1604-47da-96f7-18bce02fe3cc">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i2i, and also Joanna Lumley.  I could go on for days about British Comedy.  Jennifer was on camera more, but Dawn has writing credit on almost everything good. If you love this genre, find and watch "The Vicar of Dibley", a TV series.  Watch it in order.
    Posted by 1covejack[/QUOTE]

I just started watching!  I've been craving the oldies but goodies lately.  Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf, Black Adder.. heck.  even Are You Being Served
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:aa835388-a032-4806-994b-64969a52f7c2">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you reading? : I think I would like that stuff.  I tend to enjoy movies along these lines.  Waterworld, Book of Eli, The Road, Terra Nova, etc.  Or am I on the wrong track here, lol
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

You're on a similar track!  (LOVE Book of Eli, btw.)  In those movies, there's more a lack of government.  Here, you've got too much government, which is typically the conflict point of the storyline.  So, given your political beliefs, I think you could identify quite a bit with the protagonists in a lot of the books.  Mos tof them are young adult books, so if you don't like that, then you wouldn't like these.  But they're such fast, easy reads.  It's nice a brain break.

So...Hunger Games, Divergent, The Uglies series (Uglies, Pretties, Specials, Extras), Delirium would all be good places to start.

If you're looking for something a little more "adult", I enjoyed When She Woke, which was very political and a little preachy, but if you can get past that, I really enjoyed the story of it.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I only enjoy political books if they are the same politics that I believe in, lol.

I felt like Wicked tricked me.  I found it to be super political but it didnt clearly identify what point it was trying to get across.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • "Misery Loves Cabernet" by Kim Gruenenfelder. It's a fun girly read about a personal assistant to a movie star. It's about her lovelife and relationships. If you're into this kind of genre, yes. I like it.

I reread The Hunger Games and need to reread Catching Fire. I did not like Mockingjay enough to read it again.

Jenna- Have you read "Summer of My German Soldier"? It's kind of the opposite of what "The Book Thief" sounds like. It's somewhat hard to read in terms of subject matter, but it's good.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:4eebc5f4-5cb6-4016-be69-5af095944d51">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I only enjoy political books if they are the same politics that I believe in, lol.</strong> I felt like Wicked tricked me.  I found it to be super political but it didnt clearly identify what point it was trying to get across.

Well, this type of book will START with politics very much against your beliefs, but typically the protagonists are rebelling against "the man" in some way.  They're all really quite similar when you break it down to a basic level, and they all sort of remind me of other books in the genre with aspects of the story and basic plot, but they tend to suck me (and I know a lot of others) in.

• Koda- I read The Picture of Dorian Gray last year and loved it.  I hope you enjoy it.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Blue - I loved Divergent.  I thought it was better than Hunger Games and I can't wait for the second in the series to come out. 

Apocalyptic Dystopian Science Fiction is my favourite genre.  A lot fo it is Young Adult but I don't care, still love it. 
  • J- Im going to look into some of those books you mentioned.  I really enjoyed Hunger Games and I like YA because they are interesting quick reads.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love, love, loved The Book Thief.  So much.  It took me FOREVER to read (and I'm a fast reader) because it's heavy and the storyline is so intricate, but it's so well written, and I find the way it's written from Death's perspective absolutely fascinating and unique.  LOVED IT.

• 1: What are you reading?
    A Feast for Crows - book 4 of the Song of Fire and Ice/Game of Thrones series.

2: What's it about?
    Ummm, it's a fantasy-ish series about life and war in a royal society.  There are dragons.  And sex.

Definitely.  I think it's a great gateway series for people that don't normally read fantasy. 

We're almost through Bossy Pants on an audiobook and I'm loving that.  If you haven't read that one, pick it up.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm re-reading One for the Money by Janet Evanovich since the movie is coming out at the end of the month. It's about an ex-lingerie saleswoman bounty hunter that works for her skeezy cousin who is trying to hunt down a local cop who skipped on bail. She has an old but hilaroius grandmother too. If you haven't read this series (18 books total so far) you realy should. They're quick reads too.
    Anniversary
  • If you've read and enjoyed HG, I'd go next to Divergent.  It's fantastic, and the storyline is a little more "adult" as well, which I liked.  The next book comes out in May.

Number, are you on Goodreads? 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:31b9b082-68b8-4561-8925-75e50a0ec42c">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Meahg- what page are you on?  I had a hard time with the first 150 pages or so and then I couldnt put it down.

I'm on page 174 (need to update my Goodreads), and you're right, it's starting to get better. I'm going to stick with it, especially since I want to see the film before it's out of the theatre.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • I'm reading the plague by albert camus, its pretty good so far. I also just finished the lady in black (the book that new daniel radcliff movie is based on) which was really good (short though) and the final solution by michael chabon which was also good.
  • The last book I read was the latest Patricia Cornwell book, Red Mist. Loved, especially since I found the last one in the series (Scarpetta books) that I read kinda Meh.  I am currently reading Micro by Michael Crighton but I am only a few pages in. 
  • I'm almost done with Red Mist.  I'm really enjoying it so far.  Number, I feel like our libraries are probably almost identical ;)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:631c4fa6-0384-4185-a9f8-3df1fb5ea8a7">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I finished A Storm of Swords this weekend. I love the A Song of Ice and Fire series. <strong>I'm a little sad since they keep killing off characters I love and feel invested in.</strong> However the end of storm of swords caught me by surprise.
    Posted by kodakitty[/QUOTE]

This is, like, the theme of this series I think.  I don't think I've ever read a series where so many main characters get the axe.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:7576cb79-8443-4555-a41b-56857e7e7d69">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Blue - I loved Divergent.  I thought it was better than Hunger Games and I can't wait for the second in the series to come out.  Apocalyptic Dystopian Science Fiction is my favourite genre.  A lot fo it is Young Adult but I don't care, still love it. 
    Posted by number55[/QUOTE]
    Me too. Pretend I said this.

I thought Divergent was more of a realistic scenario for some reason. I had an easy time envisioning Chicago like that.
  • Ok, so I keep hearing about The Song of Ice and Fire series...and I keep wondering if I'd like it.  But...it doesn't sound like I would.  But it kind of does.  I should probably just read one, huh?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:2fc25ad4-710f-4ddd-9816-15b6bea3a85e">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm reading<strong><u> the plague by albert camus</u></strong>, its pretty good so far. I also just finished the lady in black (the book that new daniel radcliff movie is based on) which was really good (short though) and the final solution by michael chabon which was also good.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Great book.  I love Camus.  You should try The Stranger next.  Its much shorter and really good.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1: What are you reading- currently between books- it might stay like that for a while since I just bought an xbox :) BUT I figured I would recommend "The Passage" by Justin Cronin

2: Whats it about? Somewhat similar to Stephen Kings "The Stand" in a post apocalyptic sense- The government creates a vampire virus and it decimates society- and tells the story of a young girl that is basically the only hope to save the world. This book is the first in a trilogy, the second book ("The Twelve") will be released in 2012.

3: Would you suggest it? Absolutely- it is a long book but I LOVED it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:4f797e6d-cfd3-4e62-a5d7-58b9e2317325">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, so I keep hearing about The Song of Ice and Fire series...and I keep wondering if I'd like it.  But...it doesn't sound like I would.  But it kind of does.  I should probably just read one, huh?
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Do it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:d2e7f0cb-0a8f-40e1-a9de-da658d3df78a">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you reading? : Me too. Pretend I said this. I thought Divergent was more of a realistic scenario for some reason. I had an easy time envisioning Chicago like that.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]

So did I.

Oh, The Maze Runner trilogy is also fantastic, but some of my dystopian loving friends thought it was only so-so--but that's because it's a little more sci-fy-y than most of the stuff that those particular friends typically enjoy.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:4f797e6d-cfd3-4e62-a5d7-58b9e2317325">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, so I keep hearing about The Song of Ice and Fire series...and I keep wondering if I'd like it.  But...it doesn't sound like I would.  But it kind of does.  I should probably just read one, huh?

I bought the first one and I am intimidated by the size of the book.  Its on my list of books to read this year though
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:dea64baf-f729-4704-a6d1-2a7103497fd2">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you've read and enjoyed HG, I'd go next to Divergent.  It's fantastic, and the storyline is a little more "adult" as well, which I liked.  The next book comes out in May. <strong>Number, are you on Goodreads? </strong>

<div>Nope, because I feel like it would be embarrasing. I read so little right now. I want to make it a goal to read more but I know I probably won't.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, if people like YA, try to find the book Gone.  I can look up the author. There are more in the series but I haven't read them.  But I liked it (post apocalyptic, a little fantasy - superpower kinda stuff). </div>
  • 1: What are you reading? The Virgin Cure- Ami McKay

2: Whats it about? A young, impoverished woman in 19th century New York and the fight to make something of herself beyond what she grew up in. It examines the life of women in brothels or "near-brothels," and "the virgin cure" for syphilis. I'm only about halfway through, but I haven't been able to put it down.

3: Would you suggest it? I love it so far. It's uncomfortable at times, but I think that's the point. I would absolutely suggest it.

4: Finished any books since last time? I didn't participate in the last thread, but I finished "Scar Tissue" by Anthony Kiedis. I love me some RHCP.
  • I had a hard time making it through Wicked.  I liked it, kind of, but let's just say I was relieved that the musical didn't follow the plot of the book.  I've tried to read the sequel, Son of a Witch, several times, but I just can't. 

I'm currently between books and looking for something new to pick up. I just finished Raven Cursed, the most recent Jane Yellowrock book.  It's an urban fantasy about a Cherokee skinwalker (shapeshifter) who shares her body with the soul of a mountain lion.  She's a vampire hunter who, ironically, works for vampires.  If you like the genre -- and I admit, I'm obsessed -- it's one of the best. 

I still haven't read A Dance With Dragons.  I keep telling myself it's because it will be another fifty years until the next one comes out and I need to pace myself, but the truth is that I don't want to know who he's killed off now...
  • 1: What are you reading
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman
    2: Whats it about?
    A man from our world goes to Faerie to bring the object of his love a fallen star.
    Yes, I'm really enjoying it.  I've read American Gods and I was a little leary that it would be the same style but it's not.  I liked American Gods, I just didn't see how that style would work for Stardust.
    I just read the HG series.  It was good, but I was pissed at the end like everyone else.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards