Louisiana-New Orleans

wedding date

What do yall think of an outdoor JUlY or August wedding in new orleans?  Is the weather to hot for that?? What  if we have it in the afternoon like 4:30 or 5:00 ?

Thnks guys! 

Re: wedding date

• I would not recommend an outdoor wedding in July or August. It is extremely hot during those months. If the men are in tuxes, they will be miserable and sweating up a storm.

If you want it outdoors, I would recommend October.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It is incredibly hot in July/August, not to mention hurricanes in August. 
  • I agree with the rest - way too hot.

• Ditto, I'd avoid it.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • I can't see any good reason to do it. Sure you'll probably get better hotel rates but it's really not worth it, especially if your guests are not familiar with the climate.
  • An outdoor wedding ceremony in the summer, I think, is ridiculous.  It's way too hot and the humidity is too high, not to mention the threat of a hurricane.
  • One of my friends got married at the end of July two years ago. The ceremony was outdoors in City Park in the evening. It was definitely hot outside, but the ceremony was beautiful and the hot weather was kind of part of the charm of the ceremony. The groom and the groomsmen wore these amazing linen suits, had handkerchiefs to dab their foreheads (very southern gentleman), and all the bridesmaids held these pretty fans instead of bouquets. Paddle fans were placed on every seat for each guest too. I loved it! If you and your fiancé want to get married during the summer, then do it! If you do, then you may want to provide fans for your guests and ensure that your wedding party's attire suits the hot weather. An indoor reception with great air conditioning following your outdoor ceremony may be a good idea as well.
  • I wouldn't do outside more because of the VERY LIKELY possibility of rain.  Not to mention that you need to remember that in New Orleans 4 pm is generally the hottest point of the day...it isn't like other parts of the country that peak around 2 pm.  So to really have it be bearable you'd probably have to wait until 7 pm, and then your reception would start so late.  Now a hotel with a retractable roof might not be bad, like the Omni Royal Garden Terrace....then if it was nice it could be left open, but in bad weather have it shut.  There is always the chance of hurricanes, however.  Friends of ours very generously donated to us their deposit at the Cathedral because their wedding was cancelled to to Katrina, and they never rescheduled once they lost all their deposits....so be careful!!
  • I agree, very hot outside.  I went to an outdoor wedding in May and I couldn't stand the heat, July and August are much hotter.  If this is your dream though, you can do it.  If there are a lot of trees around to provide shade it helps a lot.  I agree with the paddle fans, those are a good idea but you will have people fanning themselves throughout your ceremony, it might be distracting.  As tacky as it may look, you can probably put a few fans in inconspicuous places to provide a gentle breeze.  Do think about make-up, it may melt right off your face and you will feel sticky and be perspiring in your pictures.  Hair may become frizzy, etc.  Think about food as well.  If it is sitting outside in that heat for 3+ hours it may spoil (a friend had that happen n a lot of people got sick, eek!).  Dancing may throw people into heat exhaustion.  Sorry if I'm running on here, but I just wanted to give you things to think about.  Definitely do-able but keep the details in mind.  Happy planning :)
  • At the very most, I would endure an extremely short ceremony outside, but I would not be sticking around for the outdoor reception, and would probably side eye it. PP brought up some great points about spoiling food, running makeup, sweat etc. I really don't think it's worth it, not to mention the comfort of your guests, which is most important.
  • At 4:00-5:00 in July or August, the only one word that comes to mind is "sweltering."  The stickiest, hottest, sweatiest part of the day and of the year.  If you really have your heart set on it, or it's the only time of year you can get married for whatever reason, I would suggest that you try contacting some wedding planners or the venues you are thinking of and ask them for their opinions and/or suggestions about battling the heat. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards