North Carolina-Outer Banks

Online Ordination... legal in Nags Head?

My FI and I want to have a friend marry us. We have looked into the online ordination but want to be sure that it is recognized and legal in Nags Head. I have spoken to the Register of Deeds office and the town of Nags Head. Neither know the answer. I was told to check with someone on the state level. Before I track someone down to call up at the state I wanted to see if anyone on here had been or knew someone who was married by someone who was ordained online.

Re: Online Ordination... legal in Nags Head?

• APreunAPreun member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We wanted a family friend to marry us as well.  He got ordained online and it was legal.  Just make sure the online ordination you are using is recognized as legal and you should be fine.
  • LRPardyLRPardy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    NC seems really narrow with who is recognized to perform a wedding. I'd check with the state.  I toyed with the idea briefly when possibly getting a friend who's ordained here in Canada but saw that it was not worth the work.  We've opted for a local officiant, Marsha from Great Cakes who is also doing our cake.
  • edited December 2011
    i was told that it is not legal in NC, but when i researched it online i found an article that said it is.  it doesn't seem like anyone has a clear answer in NC, or many other states for that matter.  although it is what we originally had our hearts set on, i think we have decided not to go that route.  please let us know if you get a better answer!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When we applied for our marriage license they made it clear that we must be married by "minister or magistrate", online ordinations were not accepted. 
  • edited December 2011
    We also wanted a friend to marry us, and after a great deal of research, found a court case where a marriage was overturned as NC will not recognize an online ordination, unless the minister and ordaining association arfe actually affiliated with, on a regular basis, an actual church. That still seemed unclear to me (as to what online ordinances would have the proper support to make this legal), so we have opted for a minister.  Why take any chances?   
  • missdysmissdys member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend was ordained through universal life church and I saw the articles, too. When I called the Deeds office, they asked, is he ordained. I said yes and that he takes it seriously. He's done other weddings and is a deeply religious man. 

When I said Universal Life church, they were like, you need to go to the state and confirm this… so I have spend the last 2 weeks leaving messages for someone to call me back. It is getting extremely frustrating… If you get an answer, PLEASE post it so we can get an answer!!
    Remember my name. You'll be screaming it later.
  • mzoolemzoole member
    First Comment
    In Response to Online Ordination... legal in Nags Head?:
    Online ordinations ARE legal in North Carolina.
    The problem comes in when you ask people that are religiously biased - they will tell you no. Yes, there was a case of a marriage overturned but you can also get an annullment (an over turning of a marriage) with any other religion or anordination through a seminary.

Most of us on-line clergy aren't ignorant of theologies and philosophies - most of us have some kind of religious training. After nearly a semester of religious based classes in college, I toyed with the idea of going to a brick and mortar sminary but did not want to limit myself to one strict religious ideology.

Independent officiants usually charge LESS than what a church will "request" you "donate" and we will actually CUSTOMIZE your wedding.
  • littlemo175littlemo175 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    May I ask who your online ordination is through?
    Thanks

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_online-ordination-legal-nags-head?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:b982a85a-c302-455c-87e4-c08362ed5cf3Post:1b00408d-6c04-412c-80de-5a4498c4d079">Re: Online Ordination... legal in Nags Head?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Online Ordination... legal in Nags Head? : Online ordinations ARE legal in North Carolina. The problem comes in when you ask people that are religiously biased - they will tell you no. Yes, there was a case of a marriage overturned but you can also get an annullment (an over turning of a marriage) with any other religion or anordination through a seminary. Most of us on-line clergy aren't ignorant of theologies and philosophies - most of us have some kind of religious training. After nearly a semester of religious based classes in college, I toyed with the idea of going to a brick and mortar sminary but did not want to limit myself to one strict religious ideology. Independent officiants usually charge LESS than what a church will "request" you "donate" and we will actually CUSTOMIZE your wedding.
    Posted by mzoole[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards