Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

cant wear my engagement ring for weeks before wedding???

So the wedding band I found is actually a double sided band that my e-ring just drops into.  They will need to be custom fitted and solded together at the jeweler, so probably dropped off at least a week or two before hand to avoid any last minute issues.  This means I won't be able to wear my ring until the ceremony- which is going to be TOTALLY weird!

Has anyone else had this issue? 

Re: cant wear my engagement ring for weeks before wedding???

• We were going to, because we were looking at a wrap ring for me.  (We couldn't find a wrap in palladium that I liked, so we went with a separate band.)  FI was going to buy me a big gaudy fake diamond ring to wear in the meantime while they were being soldered.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I couldn't wear my ring for about a week before the wedding because we decided to have it reset.  It was no big deal.
  • i would be apprehensive to leave my ring with anybody without being present. reason being: my aunt dropped off a ring to have a small diamond replaced. when she picked it up, the diamond (big one in the middle, of course) had been switched. This is somewhat paranoid i guess on my part, but when you ask my aunt "how do you know?" she says, "honey, i have worn that ring for 30 years. i know what my diamond looked like" I would just be very careful.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker ~be the change you wish to see in the world ~Ghandi
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_cant-wear-engagement-ring-weeks-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:7ce5bc1a-9f54-49a5-b9ec-fb252466f06fPost:d958149b-c82c-4cf1-b154-38fbad40faec">Re: cant wear my engagement ring for weeks before wedding???</a>:
    [QUOTE]i would be apprehensive to leave my ring with anybody without being present. reason being: my aunt dropped off a ring to have a small diamond replaced. when she picked it up, the diamond (big one in the middle, of course) had been switched. This is somewhat paranoid i guess on my part, but when you ask my aunt "how do you know?" she says, "honey, i have worn that ring for 30 years. i know what my diamond looked like" I would just be very careful.
    Posted by mrs.mims[/QUOTE]

This is why I have a laser inscribed diamond.  I always ask to see the serial number under the microscope before accepting the ring/paying.
  • I didn't have mine for like a 2 week period right before the wedding. My ring is white gold, so we had it cleaned and re-dipped so it would be it's sparkly best the day off. It was weird not wearing it, but it everything worked out good.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Why don't you get a pretty, inexpensive sterling silver ring as a temporary replacement. Lots of cute stuff on etsy.
  • mrs.mims- now I'm paranoid!  What do you do when you have your ring replated (I'm assuming you have white gold)...???

I've left my ring before for a weekend to be resized, plated and cleaned up I guess I never thought about having it switched on me!
  • I didn't have mine for a few weeks and it felt totally weird, but it all worked out. I was super happy when I got to wear it again!
  • I got engaged in July and recently went in to have my ring cleaned and inspected for the lifetime care plan that my fiance purchaed along with the ring in case of lost diamonds, scratches, etc.  They found a loose stone so they had to send it in to fix it.  I had to be without mine for a week as well, and I was devastated!  I love my ring and it was weird not having it on my hand, but I'm glad I got the diamond fixed.  I too am geting my ring soldered and everything before the wedding so I will be without it a  week or two as well.  It will be weird, but will be so exciting to see the band and engagement ring together for the first time!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm getting mine soldered after the wedding, because frankly, it'd just be weird to have FI place my engagement ring back on my finger.  The saleswoman at the jewelers said that most women they've had come through decided to get it done afterwards to avoid the awkwardness.
  • Just get a fake ring to wear in the interim.  There are plenty of CZ rings out there that look real...my current e-ring is one of them.  I didn't want FI stressing over money, so I told him not to bother getting the "real" ring until a few months before the wedding.  In the meantime I've been wearing an $8 ring I bought at Kohls several years ago and no one can tell it's not real.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • I agree with PP - get a fake ring! I already have one, it cost $25 and it looks a little too real (I had to double check I had the right one on last time I switched, ha ha!).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards