Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Is this possible?

Hey! Ok well Im going to be having a VERY small wedding (me, my FI, my mother, and his son) But I want a beautiful cake and so does he suprisingly (he hasnt shown much interest in planning until we were at of all places a grocery store and he saw some fake wedding cake samples and got all into it) So I want to make sure we have one. But I cant justify to myself getting a large multi or even two layer cake that feeds tons of people. Does anyone happen to know if its possible to get a much smaller version of a two tier cake? (like enough on the bottom layer to serve the four of us and the top tier for just the two of us to munch on on our cruise) Any thoughts or ideas?

Re: Is this possible?

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would check with bakers or grocery stores to see if something like you are wanting can be done.  I know a girl on my local did mini-cakes as centerpieces and this is probably the size you would need.

You could do a replica of a big cake where the the bottom layer would be fake, and the top tier would be to serve.  But the cost would be the same unfortunately and it would probably still be a ton of cake.  The smallest tier generally feeds 25 people I think.
  • trawas01trawas01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do a search for mini cakes.

There is a baker close by me (unfortuantly wrong state for you) that does primarily gorgeous cupcakes but she also does mini versions of wedding cakes. They stand about six inches to eight inches tall and are gorgeous tiered wedding cakes. They run about 60 to 120$.  Sounds like a perfect solution for you and I'm sure she isn't the only baker in the country who makes them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    October 13, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    I think it can be done! Find a local baker and ask them about it. Also . . . some people like to keep the small top tier in the freezer and have it for their first anniversary. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much everyone! I wil look into the mini cakes.
    As for saving the top tier for our 1 yr anniversary, it would never last that long our freezer and deep freezer are always jam packed, and the FI has a massive sweet tooth and would wind up pulling it out and eating it before then.(and then I would be foreced to destroy him) So to avoid that our thinking is just eat it on our 16hr cruise we are hoping to book.
  • rascal17rascal17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    any good bakery should be able to do small 2-3 tier cakes. Im a cake baker/decorator, and you can have very small tiers (ex 5-6inch rounds), Also not all bakerys charge the same price for fake and real tiers. I know I charge less for fake tiers (styrofoam) because there is less labour and food cost involved in those tiers, and I offer that as an option for brides who want the look but dont need all the cake.
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards