Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

Succulent Plant Clippings???

I really want to do something like this:

http://beta.www.weddingchicks.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/succulentplacecards.jpg

For a favor/at tables and I'm wondering where in Cincinnati I could find the plants at an affordable price? I do want to use real living plants, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I've found the pails/glass jars already online cheap and may not do the moss but any suggestions on the succulent part I'd appreciate!
thanks ladies :)

Re: Succulent Plant Clippings???

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We're involving succulents in our centerpieces and my mom found them at Lowe's for really cheap.  We're creating terrariums to place on the tables and she said their prices were the best.  GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So I am not sure how DIY inclined you are but succulents are soooo easy to grow. You can literally put a small part of one in a pot and you soon will be overwhelmed. There is one specific type that we put in all of our succulent plants (my fi has a small obsession with having them around our house :) and it grew so quickly that it took over all of the plants and overflowed the pot. I would suggest since you have so long until your wedding planting some and within months I bet you would have enough to fill centerpieces easily. You could easily buy a decent sized one from Lowes then separate them at their roots and plant them individually. It really isnt nearly as much work as it seems 
    That is the true season of love when we believe that we alone can love, that no one could have ever loved as much before, and that no one will ever love in the same way again
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_succulent-plant-clippings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:ab3cd946-c5b1-4e26-8d8f-5c45c626ff4bPost:22b2dfdf-05b1-4978-bbe6-22929f49fdc6">Re: Succulent Plant Clippings???</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I am not sure how DIY inclined you are but succulents are soooo easy to grow. You can literally put a small part of one in a pot and you soon will be overwhelmed. There is one specific type that we put in all of our succulent plants (my fi has a small obsession with having them around our house :) and it grew so quickly that it took over all of the plants and overflowed the pot. I would suggest since you have so long until your wedding planting some and within months I bet you would have enough to fill centerpieces easily. You could easily buy a decent sized one from Lowes then separate them at their roots and plant them individually. It really isnt nearly as much work as it seems 
    Posted by Berobinsm[/QUOTE]
    This is what I wanted to do originally but I'm not sure which kinds would grow best and how well they'd seperate. Would they seperate down into little pieces easily? I have about 70-100 to make but I'd be fine with growing some by myself. I have a jade plant in my house right now, but it doesn't seem to be taking off as well as I thought.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Let me talk to my fi and his dad this evening and I will let you know by tomorrow morning. They know everything about plants! I know they break apart really easily, at least the types we have, and I know there are some that grow significantly faster than others but my knowledge it rather limited beyond that, so let me find out all the details this evening and the best way to go about it and Ill let you know. I will also send you some pictures because we just broke ours apart and separated the plants because they were getting slightly out of control and I know haven't been put in planters yet so Ill show you the little pieces too. I think it will definitely be the best option because that would add up so quickly
    That is the true season of love when we believe that we alone can love, that no one could have ever loved as much before, and that no one will ever love in the same way again
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_succulent-plant-clippings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:ab3cd946-c5b1-4e26-8d8f-5c45c626ff4bPost:c02feb14-2d20-4764-b31b-acad0e8b59c4">Re: Succulent Plant Clippings???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Let me talk to my fi and his dad this evening and I will let you know by tomorrow morning. They know everything about plants! I know they break apart really easily, at least the types  we have, and I know there are some that grow significantly faster than others but my knowledge it rather limited beyond that, so let me find out all the details this evening and the best way to go about it and Ill let you know. I will also send you some pictures because we just broke ours apart and separated the plants because they were getting slightly out of control and I know haven't been put in planters yet so Ill show you the little pieces too. I think it will definitely be the best option because that would add up so quickly

That would be awesome! thanks so much. I get emails on my phone that might be easier to check -- jess.judy@gmail.com no rush, I have til June ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey, I just wanted to let you know that my fi got called out of work on business and I wound up going with him and our lives were fairly hectic the past week as a result but I didnt forget!! and I will send you everything this evening once I get home or in the morning :) 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_succulent-plant-clippings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:ab3cd946-c5b1-4e26-8d8f-5c45c626ff4bPost:3f6c5b9c-dbb0-43e6-84dd-c3f9499768a5">Re: Succulent Plant Clippings???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey, I just wanted to let you know that my fi got called out of work on business and I wound up going with him and our lives were fairly hectic the past week as a result but I didnt forget!! and I will send you everything this evening once I get home or in the morning :) 
    No problem thanks for letting me know :)
  • Options
    corrinetyecorrinetye member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm so interested in hearing the details of DIY succulents!  Any word from your fiance and his dad? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards