Snarky Brides
Options

Saying "I love you".....

I been wondering about first time saying "I love you" stories. Curious and bored. I haven't posted for a while.

I am in a fairly new relationship with a guy I have known just about my entire life. It's weird thinking about it, knowing him so long, crushing on him when I was younger and now to be dating him. Feelings have been there for a long time and there are times I just want to blurt it out but don't want to be the first one to say it, or to say it too soon.

Thanks for sharing.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Saying "I love you".....

• Options
    My fiance was the first to say it.  It took me a bit longer.  I told him that I felt I was falling in love with him, but hadn't gotten there yet.  I said he would be the first to know (after me, of course). He was totally understanding, and let me get to that step at my own pace.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I was just curious of different stories, if it just was said, or like the romance behind it. How long you were together or known each other.
    I guess I should have made it more of a poll type post. I suck at these.

Dot, glad to hear things are moving along with your dress. 

It's going great. He works way too much but we make it work. We really only get time on the weekends, but get a few minutes to say hi, eat and good night during the week at least around my schedule. I work anywhere between 7am and midnight so it varies, he works 10pm to 6am at one job and 7am to 5 at the next job. He's planning for it to only be a few more months (well until early next year) and I'm really hoping it's not for too long. Not even for us to have time but because of how exhausting he is with it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_saying-i-love-you?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d96e66f6-6974-49e9-bc7d-f58edc63df1fPost:a682bb1c-5d95-4d49-857c-e7f5c4d07e89">Re: Saying "I love you".....</a>:
    [QUOTE]My H said about 6 weeks after we were dating. I gave him a stern lecture on how I don't throw that around and I wouldnt say it until I really meant it. I then went on a weekend trip to visit a friend and when we were getting ready to say goodnight on the phone, <strong>it just popped out. I did it without even thinking</strong>. That's when I knew.
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

This is how it feels sometimes. but I end up thinking about it.
  • Options
    DH said it first. It took me a while after that before I could say it.

We actually were in a place in our relataionship where I was crushing on him so bad, I couldn't make eye contact for more than a moment without blushing and turning away. He was driving me back home after his mom's 50th birthday party, and I asked him to pull off to the side of the road. I was determined to be able to look him in the eye so I could tell him "I love you". (I think he was a little sad afterward to realize he couldn't make me blush the same way anymore, but I think saying I love you trumps that. ;) )
  • Options
    anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2012
    hi platy!  Long-time no see.

At one point while we were dating he started saying he loved me without actually saying it.  Things like "And that's why I adore you", "Don't ever leave me. I like you too much" and other randomness.  Always said in a nervous was like he wanted to say "love" but just couldn't get it out.  It was stinkin' adorable.  I already knew how I felt about him but at that point kept my lips zipped because his efforts to not say it were so cute.  After about 3 weeks of it, he finally said it and admitted he was afraid I was going to get freaked out and think we were going too fast.
  • Options
    These are cute stories. I'm sorta hoping it's said either by me or him first, when we go away at the end of the month. We get the entire weekend together with no work which will be a first. We're going to Harve De Grace, MD.  Anyone ever go there?

Well, this is a P&R I have to get ready for work. I work over night tonight and did last night. I am so beat. Back to a regular schedule Wednesday.
    I'll check in on my phone but won't be able to post.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    H said it first. The first time, it was while he was sleeping. We had been dating about 6 weeks. The next day, I pointed it out to him, and he said "Well, that's because I do love you. You're my best friend." I was so touched, but I was cautious since I had just gotten out of a marriage before dating him, so it took me a little bit before I could say it back with confidence.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    DH said it first. Actually, he said it before we were even dating. Our whole story is kind of weird, but it boils down to us becoming really good friends, and then one night, we were sitting on my couch and he just looked at me and said "I'm in love with you. And I have been for a long time". And then I confessed that I'd felt the same way for a while (Which was true), and then he said "Well, since we both feel this way ... why aren't we dating?". And that was how we became boyfriend and girlfriend in the first place.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_saying-i-love-you?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d96e66f6-6974-49e9-bc7d-f58edc63df1fPost:7def09a7-42aa-4b70-b548-7b92cabad791">Re: Saying "I love you".....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mehg, I don't think I knew you were married before.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

Yep. I got married to my exH when I was barely 19 years old. It lasted 5 years (two of which were good). I survived alcoholism (his) and an eating disorder (mine), and we split up Christmas 2008. We were way, way too young to get married, and just simply outgrew each other. I think that's one of the reasons why my H & I waited nearly two years to get married after we got engaged, among other things.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    H and I said it at  the same time, kind of, but he said it first. We were in bed, doing our usual goofy pillow talk and somehow a discussion on being armless turned to how we felt about one another (I believe it was long the lines of, "Would you still like me if I grew a third eye? If I was missing a buttchee?" and so on).

He said that he knows exactly how he feels about me but that it made him nervous to say it. So I said, "If you know how you feel about me, then you should just tell me." So, he did, and said he loved me, and I said it back.

i never would have said it first.
  • Options
    mehg- That's practically why I'm scared to admit it. I wasn't married before but being engaged, I of course felt I was in love, and am not denying that I was because I was. But with it not working out I often think if he truly was. But I know I have to move on from that. He was the only one I had said it to so I don't want to just throw it around. I guess I'm not exactally ready if I keep second guessing it. I do know I care for him a lot.

OK now I really do need to go get ready for work.
    have a great night ladies.
  • Options
    H said it a couple months into our relationship. I was really glad he said it because I think I would have  been too chicken..my 2 previous relationships were with guys I had been with like 1.5-2 years but wouldn't tell me that they loved me.

I knew he did...we almost said it like the week before. But I think he was surprised that I said it back. But I absolutely loved him, I probably loved him like a month in.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    Capone, I was the same way. We didn't see each other a lot the first month of dating because I was back and forth out of town for work, so we were always on the phone. Those were the best conversations and I pretty much knew. He was the same way, but we were both hesitant to say it so soon.

I wouldn't have waited a year though. I think I would have given up hope. But then, H was my first relationship so I didn't really know how it all worked. Hell, I still don't.
  • Options
    My H said it first. His whole life he made it a rule that he would never say it unless he was sure he would marry that person and be with them forever. His parents theory is that you choose to love someone forever. Every marriage has ups and downs but you choose to love them through that. Anyways, I had left one morning to go home and get ready for work. He actually texted it to me because he was so nervous. I told him I wasn't ready yet. Later that day he brought me lunch at work and when I saw him after thinking about it all day I blurted it out. We got engaged shortly after.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_saying-i-love-you?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d96e66f6-6974-49e9-bc7d-f58edc63df1fPost:3f60be79-0831-4a0b-ac36-80c4eef304a5">Re: Saying "I love you".....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Capone, I was the same way. We didn't see each other a lot the first month of dating because I was back and forth out of town for work, so we were always on the phone. Those were the best conversations and I pretty much knew. He was the same way, but we were both hesitant to say it so soon. I wouldn't have waited a year though. I think I would have given up hope. But then, H was my first relationship so I didn't really know how it all worked. Hell, I still don't.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's scary! I told H too that one of the few "pluses" to being a woman is that typically you don't do the proposing either. Thank god because I would never have had the guts to do that.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I was the first to say it TO him, but technically he said it way before I did, though I didnt know it. We dated on and off for a while and then broke up, and later got back together and I moved in with him. It was about 4 months until I said I loved him. Sometime after that, friends of ours came over and showed us a video they found on their camera after their vacation and it was of adam absolutely pissed drunk on new years (2 months after I had moved in), after I had left the party cause I didnt feel well and he was ranting and raving about the "piece of shiiit brown sweater" i made him wear and he goes "and do you know why Im wearing it?! Because I love her!". So technically, he said it first.
  • Options
    Haha Nebb that is hilarious!
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    FH said it first late one night when were both half asleep. We'd only been together a month or so and his exact words were "I have something really scary to tell you. I think I'm falling in love with you." I've been in a few relationships where love has been expressed and I have never said it first.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Well, I said it twice drunkenly, once like a month in, and once about 6 months in. H "officially" said it first, a couple days after my six month one, but it was on our way back from a Canada visit, and he stopped at the Greyhound station in St. Louis which is where we first met in person, so he could say it. It was super cute. I found out later he'd only ever said it to one other non-family member, and they had been together 3 years before he did.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Funny story actually, for me and my husband.

We had been dating for oh, 8 months or so, and we were standing in my kitchen. I honestly don't remember how it came up, but future husband said something like, "Well, I was going to wait until we had been dating a year to say it, but I do love you." My response?

"Well, duh."

ETA: I realize that story isn't particularly helpful. I had been in a lot of relationships before, but had never loved the other person. Prior to dating (and marrying) my husband, my relationships ended at 3-4 months, and neither party ever said "I love you." I said it back to my husband after I stuck my foot in my mouth with the "duh" comment. I definitely followed his lead on that whole thing, though we emailed a lot and I frequently signed my emails with "love, [arwo]" prior to that.
  • Options
    snuff9861snuff9861 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Fi said it first. It was about 2 weeks after we officially started dating. I said it back without even hesitating. My previous bf had said it around the 2 week mark as well and I freaked right out. So that's how I knew I loved FI.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • Options
    He should definitely say it first! Mine said it about 3 months after we started dating, but oh my, I know that he meant it! We spent a long time talking and before we said goodbye, he said wait... I have one more thing to tell you... then he said it, and it was just too sweet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm told I said it first.

I actually don't remember. We had been best friends and started dating, so I did love him, but I'm not sure I would have said it in an "I'm IN love with you" sort of way had I not been so drunk at a party (apparently we got in an arguent?). I realized about a week later that I definitely was in love with him, though. 4.5 years later here we are. Stories to tell the grandchildren, I tell ya.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_saying-i-love-you?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d96e66f6-6974-49e9-bc7d-f58edc63df1fPost:9dc4d16e-050c-4862-a94c-0a05d59025c1">Re: Saying "I love you".....</a>:
    [QUOTE]These are cute stories. I'm sorta hoping it's said either by me or him first, when we go away at the end of the month. We get the entire weekend together with no work which will be a first. We're going to <strong>Harve De Grace, MD</strong>.  Anyone ever go there? Well, this is a P&R I have to get ready for work. I work over night tonight and did last night. I am so beat. Back to a regular schedule Wednesday. I'll check in on my phone but won't be able to post. Thanks for sharing.
    Posted by playtnteppg27[/QUOTE]

Well I mean I got married there.

WHERE ARE YOU GOING IN HDG?
  • Options
    I cant remember what we had been talking about but then we were hugging and he said "Do you love me? because i love you.." And i was like "Yes i do. I love you"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

H said it first and I actually didn't say it back until a few weeks later. I had just gotten out of a bad relationship not long before H and I started dating and I was afraid of getting hurt again so I was taking things a little bit slower. Those few weeks passed and we were getting in his car in a parking garage after a date, I turned to him and said something along the lines of "I can't hold it in anymore, I love you too". He said "I knew it, I love you".

On our first engagement anniversary, he took me up to where he proposed, where he said I love you first and then where I did. It was cute.

• Options
    we met on Friday, went out on Sunday, on Tuesday he said he loved me, on Saturday we started dating, lol 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I have this weird thing about the guy saying it first.  I don't know why.  Probably goes along with my belief that the man should propose, not the woman. 

Anyway, we had been dating a little more than 6 months, and were going our separate ways for Thanksgiving, and he said it in the garage as I was getting in the car to leave his house.  Completely caught me by surprise, although I knew we were very serious, but hadn't said those three words yet.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_saying-i-love-you?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d96e66f6-6974-49e9-bc7d-f58edc63df1fPost:baae01de-7f25-49aa-adfc-99020c3605af">Re: Saying "I love you".....</a>:
    [QUOTE]we met on Friday, went out on Sunday, on Tuesday he said he loved me, on Saturday we started dating, lol 
    Posted by rebeccalynn92[/QUOTE]
    This is kinda how it happend with us, too, LoL....
    We met on a Wednesday, went out Friday night and then Saturday we started dating. Probably that following week, we both made it known that we were "falling" for each other, and then after that we just started saying "I love you" to each other and haven't let up since :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    TeddiD34TeddiD34 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2012
    BF said it first after about 2 weeks of dating. He said he just felt it, and although he totally freaked me the hell out, I eventually said it back (after a week or so).

That was 3.5 years ago, so I guess he did know.

To OP, I think you'll just know when the right time is. Whether he is first, or you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards