Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

People judging the wedding still.

So, I really did not want to have a wedding, but my fiance and his family really wanted to so I went along with their every demand- it being at their Catholic church (no one in my family is Catholic), to there having to be a dinner, to having the food and cake, as well as the flowers, be from their grocery store, and from having the photographer that they wanted.  They even tried to make us have a full-mass but luckily, the priest said that it was not fair to my family and made sure we had a half-mass.  I just felt like I had no control over anything; any decision I made was either wrong or weird and my mind needed to be changed.  Everybody felt like they had a right to plan this dumb wedding except for me.  My heart was not in planning and while I would have loved to have perfect details and stuff, I just let things be decided without much regard for how it was. But I was hopeful that once the day came, all this weirdness would be over.  However, it is not.  The one good thing is that my in-laws are all happy that they got the wedding they wanted and that has made everything peaceful on that front. 

(I must add that two days before the wedding, because I let my distaste for having a wedding show too much, his parents wanted us to call of the wedding and forced us to make the decision asap.  We felt like we should call it off, so we did but then changed our minds.  They were very irritated because his mom decided to call people immediately to cancel everything. So, a day was lost in planning because it was filled with trying to get it going on again.)

However, I keep hearing weird comments from people telling me that the wedding was weird and disorganized.  Maybe it was.  But I would not say that to anyone.  We did not know we could kiss at the end of the ceremony and if we did, we would have requested not to. So, when the priest said, "You may now kiss your bride.", my DH just kissed my forehead which apparently freaked everyone out.  Then we did not have a bouquet or garter toss, or the cake-cutting stuff (well, we cut the cake...but only to serve it to our guests).  I did not wear a veil, or a garter or tiara- just some earrings and a bracelet.  Heck, I didn't even wear any special undergarments- just some cheap packaged Hanes underwear. 

I don't know...it just really hurts my feelings that people would say that to me- especially when they know it has been a very sensitive subject for me for a long time.  I just wish I had more people's support instead of some more negativity.  Why do they have to say anything?  Or at least end it with something positive ("You could really tell your heart wasn't in this wedding, but at least your dress was pretty." or something like that).  It just makes me feel really sad.

Re: People judging the wedding still.

• Options
    Are these people married? If not, just say "At least I had a wedding."

And who cares if your wedding was a little unconventional! The important part is you will have a long and happy marriage, whether these 'friends' liked the wedding or not.
    my read shelf:
    Elysia's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    That is kind of rude - perhaps they think they are making you feel better seeing as it wasn't the wedding you wanted. That makes no sense, I know, but the brain is a complicated mess.

You just have to let it roll off your back. Enjoy the good memories and the photos and remember that you got to spend this day with the people that you loved the most. And, in the end, you are married, which is all that really matters. Smile
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image image
  • Options
    I would never ever in a million years tell someone that.  The people who are saying these things to you are rude.  Please ignore them.  Are they from your fiance's side of the family?  Perhaps these people are all just rude.  I suggest you make a list of things that you enjoyed about the day.  For example, marrying him and how happy you are to be with him and anything else you liked.  Ask people who you are close to what they liked most about the wedding and to tell you positive things and write those down too.  

Also, your fiance's mother sounds crazy.  To pressure you like that and then start calling people is just butting into your business too much.  I would talk to your fiance about standing up to her more and trying to make sure that she doesn't run your life because this might come back later on when you have kids, etc.  Perhaps you could go to couple's counseling where your fiance could learn how to tell his mom to back off and let you guys handle your own lives.  Because she'll probably keep doing it till he stands up to her.  
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Not cool at all hun. I would never make comments about someones wedding like that no matter what. You really should speak up when these people speak negativley about your wedding. It was your day and even though it seems you didnt have much imput, it was still your day. No one should make you feel bad about it. I would check those comments at the door hun, otherwise they might not stop for awhile.

• Options

Sounds like you've been a saint - I hope your not living near your in-laws.

• Options
    I'm not having a garter or bouquet toss, or a first dance, or a receiving line, or a formal cake cutting... or anything!

Dont feel bad :-)
  • Options
    [QUOTE]So, I really did not want to have a wedding, but my fiance and his family really wanted to so I went along with their every demand- it being at their Catholic church (no one in my family is Catholic), to there having to be a dinner, to having the food and cake, as well as the flowers, be from their grocery store, and from having the photographer that they wanted.  They even tried to make us have a full-mass but luckily, the priest said that it was not fair to my family and made sure we had a half-mass.  I just felt like I had no control over anything; any decision I made was either wrong or weird and my mind needed to be changed.  Everybody felt like they had a right to plan this dumb wedding except for me.  My heart was not in planning and while I would have loved to have perfect details and stuff, I just let things be decided without much regard for how it was. But I was hopeful that once the day came, all this weirdness would be over.  However, it is not.  The one good thing is that my in-laws are all happy that they got the wedding they wanted and that has made everything peaceful on that front. <div>
    </div><div>(I must add that two days before the wedding, because I let my distaste for having a wedding show too much, his parents wanted us to call of the wedding and forced us to make the decision asap.  We felt like we should call it off, so we did but then changed our minds.  They were very irritated because his mom decided to call people immediately to cancel everything. So, a day was lost in planning because it was filled with trying to get it going on again.)
    <div>
    </div><div>However, I keep hearing weird comments from people telling me that the wedding was weird and disorganized.  Maybe it was.  But I would not say that to anyone.  We did not know we could kiss at the end of the ceremony and if we did, we would have requested not to. So, when the priest said, "You may now kiss your bride.", my DH just kissed my forehead which apparently freaked everyone out.  Then we did not have a bouquet or garter toss, or the cake-cutting stuff (well, we cut the cake...but only to serve it to our guests).  I did not wear a veil, or a garter or tiara- just some earrings and a bracelet.  Heck, I didn't even wear any special undergarments- just some cheap packaged Hanes underwear. </div><div>
    </div><div>I don't know...it just really hurts my feelings that people would say that to me- especially when they know it has been a very sensitive subject for me for a long time.  I just wish I had more people's support instead of some more negativity.  Why do they have to say anything?  Or at least end it with something positive ("You could really tell your heart wasn't in this wedding, but at least your dress was pretty." or something like that).  It just makes me feel really sad. Posted by Emma912 [/QUOTE]
    </div></div>

Hey, at least you had a day to celebrate your love to your DH and vice versa, despite wishes to even have such a grand wedding.  Everyone that has something not so nice to say should go back to kindergarten.  (in Kindergarten they say, "If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all")

If people want to talk negatively, ask them "So did you enjoy your free food?"  and if you seriously have comments, redirect them towards your in-laws. Since they wanted the wedding of their dreams, maybe for the second time around, they didn't even try to scale back to at least compromise with you and your fiance.

We can say that we weren't at your wedding, but, we support you 100% positvely!  Have you posted some pictures :) I really want to see you in your dress :) :) 

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    Don't focus on it anymore, it's said and done. Just focus on your life with your husband and move on. Pretty soon these folks will betalking about something else.
    Wedding Countdown TickerVisit The Knot!
  • Options
    Yeah, I do need to get over it.  It is said and done...but it is just hurtful.  Some of my friends are married and some are not- it was a mixture of both groups that were making comments.  I just feel like weddings make people feel weird- everybody thinks they are experts even when they know so little.  Haha. 

I will say that I loved my dress a lot though.  I stared at pictures of it online for a long time but I could not find it in any local stores.  I finally decided that I just should order it and see what happened.  When I got it, I did not like it in person and it was way too small!  Luckily, they hooked me up with the most amazing seamstress and it was able to fit me perfectly.  But, as you will be able to see in the pictures, I really needed some help in the gut department.  Oh well.  Haha. 

I am just going to post the link to the pictures that I uploaded on my Facebook account:
  • Options
    Since you can't stop people from saying something rude I would just respond with something like, "oh, was it awckward, I didn't even notice.  I was just so excited to marry my husband." or something like that. 
  • Options
    Wow your pictures are super fabulous! Leave everyone in the dust (the negative ones) and focus on the one you love :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    "Hmm...I  see you have gained weight"
    "You decided to name your child WHAT?"
    "I'm sorry, what did you say? I didn't realize you had so much grey hair. How old are you?"

All of the above would be less rude. I would purse your and say something to change the subject dramaticially.

• Options
    I love your dress,so pretty

It looks like you had a wonderful wedding,I wouldnt worry about what everyone is saying,after all is said and done weddings are not about how much people spend,how pretty people decorate for the reception & who's wedding was better then everyone elses,they are about sharing Love & a special day surrounded by people who care about you and most important it is about Marrying your best friend which is all that really counts anyways.
  • Options
    Well, maybe you should have been more open to the wedding-and your fiance' should have been more open to what you wanted. Sounds like you didn't want to plan and he wanted to dl all the planning-along with his family. Did you guys even talk about this before??? I mean how was he not prepared to tell his family about the wishes for the wedding that the 2 of you should have came up with together??? And how hard did you try to fight for things you wanted? And if you did fight it sounds like he really didn't back youup-there is more going on here within the family dynamic than just an unconventional wedding. Either way-you're married now and you need to start moving past this so you and your hubby can just enjoy each other! Best of luck!
  • Options
    Everyone has an opinion.  I am currently trying to plan my wedding and I am learning that you can't please everyone.  I am trying to do so and that has resulted in no vendors being booked and no dates set.  At this point I would rather elope.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards