Not Engaged Yet

How they met stories

The reply about doing shots in a jewelry store in Mexico got me thinking...let's hear the "crazy" how they met stories.  It doesn't have to be how you met your SO, it can be anyone you know.

My crazy story is my great-grandparents.  I never knew my great-grandpa, but I did know great-grandma (I was 16 when she died at age 93).  They had 11 surviving children (3 either died at birth or within a year of birth) and lost count of the grand and great-grandchildren and they were married for more than 50 years when great-grandpa died.  Great-grandma loved to tell the story of how she and great-grandpa met.  If you were one of her "favorites" she would tell the "full" story.  My great-grandpa got drunk and decided to run through the fields in great-grandma's daddy's farm - he was buck naked.  She said it was love at first sight!

Re: How they met stories

• jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Lol, that's cute.  My grandparents have an interesting one.  My grandpa was actually my grandma's second husband.  She had 2 kids from a previous marriage and had moved out to AZ with them when they were about 8 and 10.  My grandpa apparently had a really nice garden and he would catch my grandma's kids picking his roses all the time, so he went to her house to complain and asked her out instead.  They were married for over 50 years and had 5 more children together.
    Anniversary
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    My friend's grandmother has a funny story...

She and her friend were sitting out on the front stoop of their apartment building joking around. She said something like, "I don't care who I marry." And her friend dared her to marry the next guy who walked by.

They've been married about 55 years now...
  • edited December 2011
    My parents met on a blind date. My mom was 16 and just moved to SC from Miami and my dad was home for a while from the Army.  It was one of the first days of school and the girl who was dating my dad's twin brother comes on the bus and says "I've got a date tonight, but only if I can find a girl for my boyfriend's brother. Who's in?" and my mom thought it would be at least a good way to meet people so she took the offer. Then the brother and my mom's friend dropped out. My mom goes to my dad's house to meet him, and he's not there. He went fishing instead because he didn't want to go on a date. Somehow she got him to go though. 

The end.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    My grandparents met on the street while they were both walking to work in rural Portugal.  It was love at first sight.  They "courted" in a funny way.  My grandpa was not allowed in the house until they were married, so he would stand outside of my grandmother's house and talk to her through the window.  He did this every night until they were married.
  • coastiegrl25coastiegrl25 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Grandpa was visiting friends where my Grandma happened to be. There was a bon-fire and it needed more wood. My  Grandma went and pulled up fence posts from the ground. My Grandpa fell in love.  Also, he says that he married her for the money.  She had $12 and he had 8.  They were married 60 years in September, and they still look at each other with so much love it makes my heart melt.
    When is my wedding
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My grandparents met in 1945. My grandpa was in the Navy, and my grandma was a restaurant hostess. The very day they met (I believe it was at the restaurant where she worked), my grandpa asked grandma to marry him. They were married eight days later in my grandma's parents' back yard. She wore a pastel skirt suit; he wore his Navy uniform. They were married for 50 years until my grandpa's passing in 1995.

I actually never knew this story until it was told at my grandpa's funeral.
  • jess9802jess9802 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My mom got locked out of her second story apartment and noticed that the man across the street had a ladder. She went over to borrow it. Three months later they got married. Thirty-two years later...
  • edited December 2011
    My parents have an interesting story. My mom went out with her friends for her 21st birthday, in May, to a bar named Curly's. My dad was the bartender. They dated for 3 months before my dad proposed. My grandmother asked my mom if she was sure she wanted to marry a guy with a ponytail, completely ignoring how fast things had been moving! My dad cut his hair shortly after that.

They were planning on getting married in October of the following year but my mom's younger sister was already planning on getting married in May so my grandfather asked my parents to move their date up so the older sister would get married first (no clue why that mattered). So my parents ended up getting married in March. They hadn't even known each other a year when they got married!

They have been married for 27 years now but always told us while we were growing up to not rush into things, that they should have been engaged longer or dated longer before they got married.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom was teaching a class for the Red Cross.  My dad was a Red Cross worker who needed to take the class.  It was winter in Nova Scotia so when everyone came in the class they all headed to the heater at the back of the room.  Mom was sitting on the heater, warming her butt and mittens, Dad hopped up and they started chatting. 

So yeah, they met on a heater.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    my mom's dad had a brand new truck that he would let her and a girlfriend take out and drive around on the weekends.  one weekend she was driving around with a friend, and a couple of guys pulled up beside them.  they were waving at the girls so she rolled her window down to talk to them.  turns out, the guys had a fire extinguisher filled with compressed pickle juice!  they squirted the inside of the car and the girls before they had a chance to get the window all the way rolled up.

a couple of months later, my mom was on a blind date with my dad at a party.  my dad starts telling this story about going around town and shooting these girls in a brand new truck with pickle juice from a fire extinguisher...  it was my mom!  she was so mad, but somehow they ended up married and are still together 30 years later.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_met-stories?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:eb11f06e-fa8f-4c5d-be10-bf81e79af3f7Post:9db0c0b5-20b6-4cc0-bfc7-ef613799a84f">Re: How they met stories</a>:
    [QUOTE]my mom's dad had a brand new truck that he would let her and a girlfriend take out and drive around on the weekends.  one weekend she was driving around with a friend, and a couple of guys pulled up beside them.  they were waving at the girls so she rolled her window down to talk to them.  turns out, the guys had a fire extinguisher filled with compressed pickle juice!  they squirted the inside of the car and the girls before they had a chance to get the window all the way rolled up. a couple of months later, my mom was on a blind date with my dad at a party.  my dad starts telling this story about going around town and shooting these girls in a brand new truck with pickle juice from a fire extinguisher...  it was my mom!  she was so mad, but somehow they ended up married and are still together 30 years later.
    Posted by lindsayrae1986[/QUOTE]

Wow your mom is a good sport. I think it would have taken all ounces of my being not to punch him in the teeth.

I had friends that would drive around spraying people with a fire extinguisher full of water. This was the same time my mom used to ride her bike around they neighborhood for exercise. Long story short, they didn't  realize it was her until it was too late. She thought it was pretty funny though.
  • edited December 2011
    i think she did punch him in the face, or something to that effect... and ended up going on a second date with him anyways!  they dated 4 years and then got married.  i would have been so mad!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Dad was the captain of the soccer team in college, my Mom was the captain of the basketball cheerleading squad, so they were both around the athletic facilities nearly every day.  My Mom used to see the soccer team practicing as she walked back and forth from the gym, and said he had the best legs she'd ever seen.  Then one day she was studying in his dorm, and he saw her and thought she was cute, so he brought candy into the room to offer to her and her study partner.  He invited her to go to his junior ring weekend festivities, but they decided to have a date first.  Last night was 33 years since their first date, and they celebrated by going to the same restaurant they went to 33 years ago (a pizza place that we all love).  They told the owners, who gave them the meal and a bottle of wine for free!

EDIT: We've decided that being attracted to legs runs in the family.  It's one of the first things I noticed about my BF.

Anniversary

• loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

In high school and the summer following my friend and I would hang out at a bowling alley in a neighboring town because we knew some guys that worked there. This bowling alley also had a DJ. One day my friend and I noticed the DJ and his friend were hot, so we asked one of our friends if they knew if they had girlfriends. Our friend told us yes, so we let it go. Well shortly after that my friend and I were on AOL chat and since this was 2000 there were no avatars or posted pictures or what have you, so we started with some guys, decided to change pictures and here it turned out to be the DJ and his friend, we met up and I started dating the DJ's friend.

In 2004 there was this country bar that my friends and I frequented. One night there was this guy with a moustache that kept hitting on me. I was not impressed. A couple weeks after this my friends and I were on a road trip to South Padre Island and were stopped for the night in Austin, TX. We were at Coyote Ugly. I noticed that there was this guy who looked familiar. I blew it off thinking he just looked like someone I had seen before since we were on the opposite end of the country. A little bit later the dude comes up and starts talking to me. Low and behold it was the guy who was hitting on me up in MN. What are the odds?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Cute stories everyone - thanks for sharing.

I thought of another story this morning...I've heard this story kind of third hand, but as I understand it, a friend and her mom (I know them both) were at a bar or something and this guy came up and hit on the mom.  She told him she was too old for him, but maybe he'd like to meet her daughter - she introduced them and they got married not long after.  That was 40 or so years ago and they're still married.
  • Brittany421Brittany421 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My grandma was a tomato picker for a canning company and my grandpa drove the tractor, he threw a tomato at a friend and missed smacking my gandma in the thigh (giving her a melon sized bruise I might add). She chased through the field till she finally caught him and beat him with her shoe till he begged her to stop, they were inseperable then on. Wink

ETA: formatting
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My story isn't as cool as most of yours but I think it's pretty funny.

I had only met my boyfriend once before we starting dating.  The first time we meet I flirted heavily  seeing as he was the only single guy in the group and I think the defining thing about that night was that we had a conversation (in a very conservative Christian group might I add) about having sex standing up.  Well that must have impressed him because a month later when I re-met one of his friends in my Humanities class that guy happened to be texting BF.  So I proceeded to flirt through this other guy over texting with BF.  He finally got the hint and asked for my number.  Later that night he asked me out, then got worried and offered it to be a "not date"  I was confused by that and said no lets go on a date more fun for me.  (keeping in mind this is my first date)  Anyways we went on a date, hung out for about most of the day, he went to my church.  Survived and asked me out on another date! We are inseparable now :)  Not that I have the years and years things yet…but I am working on it!

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards