Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

How much can a dress be taken out?

I wear a 14/16 in wedding gowns and I've started looking at second hand gowns.

Could I get a 12 and have it let out? What's the range I should look for? Or just stick to 14 or 16?

Re: How much can a dress be taken out?

• Options
    PattySmith101PattySmith101 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_much-can-dress-taken-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:75d1dac0-2dcb-4116-94ea-88e03dd62558Post:f70d8036-1827-4806-977a-55c443bfbed7">Re: How much can a dress be taken out?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would not risk it since it all depends on how much fabric is available at the seams.  I would ask a seamstress, but I can't imagine a dress can be let out more than 1 or 2 inches on each side. Also, I found that bridal sizing was weird, ran small and often varied by designer. I had to order a 10 and I'm a 4-6 in street clothes. You could go to the designer's website and see if they have a size chart.  Have someone help measure you so it's accurate and see what size you'd need.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

i am a size 6 in street clothes and i had to order a size 14 in my bridal gown because i have a large chest ! and if you are buying a already worn dress it may have been previously altered< something to keep in mind />
  • Options
    I bought a dress that was previously altered and didn't quite zip. Before I bought it, the owner of the shop had me meet with her seamstress who said that replacing the zipper with a lace-up back will give me all the room I need. It also allowed me the opportunity to get one of my wedding colors in there for the lace up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards