Massachusetts-Boston

Venues for Chinese reception

Hello girls, I'm new on Knot and I just posted my question in the Asian Wedding board, but figured it wouldn't hurt to post it on here as well.

I'm trying to plan my Chinese wedding with some western touches.

Ideally, I would love to have my wedding reception in a hotel but be able to provide traditional chinese dishes (since most of our guests will be chinese). I'm not sure if that's possible, because I heard hotel usually have to do all the catering for you...

If not, my backup plan is to find a Chinese restaurant that can host my wedding reception. There are not many to choose from in Boston Chinatown and it seems like the majority of the chinese couples always get married in the same 2-3 restaurants in Chinatown.

It would be great to be a little different from everyone else. Does anyone know if there's other restaurants in the Boston area that is large enough to host a wedding receiption (approx. 120 people)?

Re: Venues for Chinese reception

• RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why not find a venue that allows outside catering and hire a Chinese caterer? I am doing this for my wedding since I didn't want the typical Chinese banquet hall as the backdrop for our nuptials. It was more difficult to find a caterer because we wanted to host our wedding in Newport, R.I. So your venue depends on your style and max guest count.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your reponse, Royal. I thought about that, but since the traditional chinese food usually includes some seafood dishes (steamed fish.. or crab...), I'm not sure how the outside caterers will handle that. We are planning approximately 120 people. I am looking for hotels near Chinatown that might make the transportation more convenient and able to keep the food as hot as possible. 
  • abilifymeabilifyme member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Over the summer my friend was married at the Mandarin Hotel (it's down the street from the Boston Public Library) and they had a traditional Chinese meal.  I'm not sure if it was brought in by an outside caterer, but I can always ask.  GL!

"If I were your wedding, I'd be sleeping with one eye open... " - Bride Wars
  • RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_venues-chinese-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:dd52977e-a96b-40d6-894d-41c15f5114f4Post:8f844a18-8400-4b97-a1dd-9c92cc9b677c">Re: Venues for Chinese reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for your reponse, Royal. I thought about that, but since the traditional chinese food usually includes some seafood dishes (steamed fish.. or crab...), I'm not sure how the outside caterers will handle that. We are planning approximately 120 people. I am looking for hotels near Chinatown that might make the transportation more convenient and able to keep the food as hot as possible. 
    Posted by babbyamiee[/QUOTE]

I am serving traditional Chinese dinner (8 courses) served family style. If the Chinese cater does onsite catering, they should be well equipped to serve the food steaming hot with no problems. I think your best shot is finding a caterer in Chinatown. I just don't know of any in the area since I am not from Boston.

You can also contact Pink Orchid Weddings or Mikado Weddings, they are Wedding Planners of Chinese descent that might be able to help you.

G.L
  • bmoruzzibmoruzzi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure this isn't traditional chinese food, but Great Chow in Abington is a very nice Chinese restaurant.  We are doing our rehersal dinner there.  
  • megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most hotels require that you use their chefs.

Look at venues that allow outside caterers and hire in a chinese restaurant.

Have you thought about engage a wedding coordinator? Someone who has planned chinese weddings before?
  • edited December 2011
    Try Acacia Country Club. You can have a reception that serves both a chinese banquet and a plated dinner at the same time or just a chinese banquet but in an american setting. The chefs there are trained to cook both types of food. The prices are pretty reasonable except that is in westborough and its quite a hike from Boston.

http://acaciafunctions.com/

Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards