October 2013 Weddings

Outdoor Oct. Wedding

I need some positive thoughts here.  I was orginally going for a late september wedding, but the date was taken 2 hours before we were putting down the depost.  I'm pretty bummed over the whole thing.  The only other fall date is Oct. 26th.  I'm worried about the weather, since we are having an outdoor ceremony.  Think it will be too cold?  Rain?  Icky out? 
Who knew picking a date was so stressful!  Who knew I had the most perfect date ever!  If i don't go with this date, it won't be until Sept. 2014 before we get married, which seems so far away!  Any thoughts over the date?

Re: Outdoor Oct. Wedding

• I would probably ask you local board since all of us are from random parts of the US. We are doing beginning of Oct. Typically in WI that one week is warm. This year it was in the 30s. I live in WI so I have no idea what the weather is like by you.

Also, intro posts are nice :)

• October by us (NYC area) is generally really nice. But, why would it then have to be September 2014 if October 26th is not ideal? You could then do May - June and still have pleasant outdoor weather. Or, is your ideal location booked every other weekend until October 2014?

For us, the month/date was not important. We know some vendors we wanted to use, and found a bunch of dates that would have worked for each. When we met with the reception location, we basically asked for all of the available dates for a time span of about 4 months.  From there, we saw when the church and the minister were available, and so on and so forth. That then gave us two options - one in July 2013 and one in October 2013. I then asked FI which he liked better, and he chose fall.

Some people are able to choose a specific date and then all the details. I guess I'm just saying you might need to be flexible- you may have to look at the bigger picture and what can work overall, rather than being set on one specific date.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• dewingedpixiedewingedpixie member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited November 2012
    October is always a big wedding month. We wont know for 2 months yet when our wedding will be. Disney books their weddings in tiers we are the 2nd of three tiers. We cant book till 8 months out. In DC the weather late october is iffy. FL its great. So I'd ask your local board or go on past experiences.

Edited to add: In all seriousness you cant remember the weather 4 weeks ago?
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Your right, I should post to a local board

If not oct. 2013, I would wait until the next fall 2014.  I do not like spring, we've had bad luck with spring.  One year we got hit by a tornado, 2nd year we got softball size hail.  I'm just going to avoid that all together.  We don't have good luck with it, I'll rather avoid a wedding that same month

I'm in STL, the summers are super hot and humid.  I would not be happy if I had to sit in the 100's at someone elses wedding so I will not do it with mine.

Yes, I do remember what the weather was like 4 weeks ago.  In one week it was nice, no jacket weather, 3 days later it was in the 40's.  It's really up in the air on what it will be like.  I was just wanting some support is all.  I'll look for that somewhere else.  thanks anyways.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_out-door-oct-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:05e55b43-6271-4d85-847f-d498f621af26Post:b80f6769-9b62-4ab2-9525-d026f8c41388">Re: Outdoor Oct. Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your right, I should post to a local board If not oct. 2013, I would wait until the next fall 2014.  I do not like spring, we've had bad luck with spring.  One year we got hit by a tornado, 2nd year we got softball size hail.  I'm just going to avoid that all together.  We don't have good luck with it, I'll rather avoid a wedding that same month I'm in STL, the summers are super hot and humid.  I would not be happy if I had to sit in the 100's at someone elses wedding so I will not do it with mine. Yes, I do remember what the weather was like 4 weeks ago.  In one week it was nice, no jacket weather, 3 days later it was in the 40's.  It's really up in the air on what it will be like.  I was just wanting some support is all.  I'll look for that somewhere else.  thanks anyways.
    Posted by MattSusie[/QUOTE]

No worries. Go for the Oct 26th wedding. STL should be fine, or at the very least no different than the beginning of October. And keep positive, i know how you feel. I was suppose to have a beautiful October wedding at our family vineyard next year, and I just found out last night that we can't do it even though we spent the last 6months planning and rehabbing our barn. I'm pretty devastated, and all of my wedding info was for MI, and now I have to start from scratch in IL and everything's already booked :( We'll get through it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_out-door-oct-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:05e55b43-6271-4d85-847f-d498f621af26Post:8c9b2edc-a043-4b5f-929d-afc5f2950110">Re: Outdoor Oct. Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Outdoor Oct. Wedding : No worries. Go for the Oct 26th wedding. STL should be fine, or at the very least no different than the beginning of October. And keep positive, i know how you feel. I was suppose to have a beautiful October wedding at our family vineyard next year, and I just found out last night that we can't do it even though we spent the last 6months planning and rehabbing our barn. I'm pretty devastated, and all of my wedding info was for MI, and now I have to start from scratch in IL and everything's already booked :( We'll get through it.
    Posted by ShannonBananon1207[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry!  That must be hard.  I can imagine how devastated you are.  I was heart broken when I didn't get the date we've been looking at for a month, but wanted to see other venues before me put our money down.  6 months of work would be hard to handle.  You are trooper for wanting to still have a wedding and willing to start over.  I would want to just go to the courthouse. I wish you luck with your planning. You will have a beautiful wedding in the end, I'm sure of it!
  • I say if you love your date so much wait another year! My fiance and I knew the date of our wedding since 2010 before the official proposal in 2012 and there are so many perks for long engagments. Getting exactly what you want, haveing your perfect date, getting better vendors you may not have been able to afford if your engagment was shorter, being able to ENJOY your engagment time instead of allow it to develop stress, house hunting is less strenuous, ect. You're going to be with this person forever, what's another year? Especially if you have a "perfect date" I would hate to have settled for "mediocre date" if my perfect date was available. You've only got one shot at this. I say wait it out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickersLilySlim Weight loss tickers Check out My Blog
  • edited November 2012
    I dunno. I still think you (generalized you - it can apply to more than one person) are putting too much  thought into one date. Whatever you choose will be your wedding date - it doesn't matter if it is the "perfect" month or numerology or whatever. And, you originally stated you didn't want to wait another year, so there are other options out there. You just don't want to look into those.

I can understand that you "don't like" the spring, but anything crazy can happen at any time.

NJ for the past two Octobers has been hit with ridiculous weather. In October (26thish) of 2011, there was a snow storm with 1.5 feet of snow. On October (26th ish - it was really the 30th) we were hit with a hurricane that knocked out power for an entire week for most of the north coast (affecting weddings prior to the storm getting ready, and post-storm weddings due to venues and guests and brides not having power), and it wiped out the entire shore (everyone was evacuated for weeks, venues on the coast no longer exist). 

From that, I can say that October is a bad call, but anything weird can happen on any date. You can plan for some ideal day, and then that day will be yucky and a date you ruled out could be perfect.

I'm just saying as I originally did - have an open mind. The entire process will be much easier - on yourself and those around you. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• I live in STL and we are getting married October 12.  The weather is fickle here, so i understand your concern about having a wedding in October.  Where are you getting married?  Are there any other locations you can look at?  We picked our date around the location (not the other way around) because the date was not as important as the location.  If the date is more important to you, then you may need to shop around for a different location.  You can PM me and we can chat about different locations.  I feel like I looked at a million!  Good luck!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_out-door-oct-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:05e55b43-6271-4d85-847f-d498f621af26Post:46fdc867-b38a-42b5-8101-c70c39d67d30">Re: Outdoor Oct. Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live in STL and we are getting married October 12.  The weather is fickle here, so i understand your concern about having a wedding in October.  Where are you getting married?  Are there any other locations you can look at?  We picked our date around the location (not the other way around) because the date was not as important as the location.  If the date is more important to you, then you may need to shop around for a different location.  You can PM me and we can chat about different locations.  I feel like I looked at a million!  Good luck!
    Posted by Rochelle041[/QUOTE]

I'm looking at Mount Pleasant Winery in Augusta.  It will be an outdoor ceremony with a reception inside.  I've told myself if it is cold, it will probably be only a short period of time.  The guest should be able to handle it.  The rest will be inside. 
    It was just very upsetting going in that day with my ideal date and then having it blast in my face when we were going to sign a contract that it was taken with only 2 other dates to choose from.  I was open to any fall date, but the last weekend of October is later than what I really wanted and with the weather here, you never know what you will get.  For example, this week it's been in the 40's and in 3 days it will be in the 70s and it's the end of November!  Very odd.  So who really knows what I will get in October.  40's, 60's 80's, who really knows.  As with any date anyone picks let's hope for no rain!  :D 

Hope everyone has a wonderful October Wedding! 
  • I would say book the October 26th date since you like the fall! My wedding is planned for October 12, 2013 and will be inside just in case! Could you talk to your venue to see what they think about the weather? Also, would your venue offer another location on site just in case of bad weather?

Good luck wedding planning and Congratulations on your engagement!
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_out-door-oct-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:05e55b43-6271-4d85-847f-d498f621af26Post:757ace38-cdcf-4a3e-a5a0-39fe9da4395b">Re: Outdoor Oct. Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Outdoor Oct. Wedding : I'm looking at Mount Pleasant Winery in Augusta.  It will be an outdoor ceremony with a reception inside.  I've told myself if it is cold, it will probably be only a short period of time.  The guest should be able to handle it.  The rest will be inside.  It was just very upsetting going in that day with my ideal date and then having it blast in my face when we were going to sign a contract that it was taken with only 2 other dates to choose from.  I was open to any fall date, but the last weekend of October is later than what I really wanted and with the weather here, you never know what you will get.  For example, this week it's been in the 40's and in 3 days it will be in the 70s and it's the end of November!  Very odd.  So who really knows what I will get in October.  40's, 60's 80's, who really knows.  As with any date anyone picks let's hope for no rain!  :D  Hope everyone has a wonderful October Wedding! 
    Posted by MattSusie[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I love Mount Pleasant!!!  It is going to be great.  Just let people know that there will be a short ceremony outside followed by a reception inside, so dress appropriately for the weather.  Good luck with everything!

</div>

• I know your pain. My fiance and I were planning for October 12th, which is also his father's birthday. His father was stoked! We literally just found out that a friend of his is also getting married the same day. All of our mutual friends will be conflicted about which wedding to attend and we want everyone together. I am super bummed! My fiance mentioned moving it to November. I am refusing. Won't it be cold?
    I know how you feel. Hang in there!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_out-door-oct-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:05e55b43-6271-4d85-847f-d498f621af26Post:ab933ce9-83a3-4792-9a0b-d6913e34b8c3">Outdoor Oct. Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I need some positive thoughts here.  I was orginally going for a late september wedding, but the date was taken 2 hours before we were putting down the depost.  I'm pretty bummed over the whole thing.  The only other fall date is Oct. 26th.  I'm worried about the weather, since we are having an outdoor ceremony.  Think it will be too cold?  Rain?  Icky out?  Who knew picking a date was so stressful!  Who knew I had the most perfect date ever!  If i don't go with this date, it won't be until Sept. 2014 before we get married, which seems so far away!  Any thoughts over the date?
    Posted by MattSusie[/QUOTE]
  • Having the date on the same as someone elses is a bummer, it will make it harder on your friends on where they should be.  If you don't have date set yet, I don't think it would be a big deal to move it.  But it's really up to you.

It all depends if you are wanting an out door wedding or inside.  I think it would work out fine if it was indoors, mainly because when you hear November you think cold, but you really never know.  You can still take pictures outside, your girls may be get a little cold, but they will not be outside forever.  You can always have a shaw or something w/ the dress to give it a little more warmth during picture taking time. 

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_out-door-oct-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:05e55b43-6271-4d85-847f-d498f621af26Post:596f8f1e-9c6e-4abd-83da-c7993060b20f">Re: Outdoor Oct. Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know your pain. My fiance and I were planning for October 12th, which is also his father's birthday. His father was stoked! We literally just found out that a friend of his is also getting married the same day. All of our mutual friends will be conflicted about which wedding to attend and we want everyone together. I am super bummed! My fiance mentioned moving it to November. I am refusing. Won't it be cold? I know how you feel. Hang in there! In Response to Outdoor Oct. Wedding :
    Posted by LittleCherub05[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards