Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Photog contract--pay when + printing limits

Hi gals...

Just trying to decipher a new wrinkle with this whole 'wedding' biz: that is, now I find a clause in my 'maybe' photog's contract stating that, following the deposit, she be fully paid two weeks BEFORE the wedding. Say what?

I looked around online and saw another who wants payment a MONTH beforehand!

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't know of any serviceperson that receives payment before doing a job, lol!

In fact, my dad, who's footing the bill and use to be a wedding photog, won't sign that contract. He said that getting SOME payment is reasonable--say, 80%, and after performing the service on the wedding day--and the rest when we get the pix/disc.

Anyone else know if this is standard procedure for photogs now, or just with some?

Another question: when obtaining printing rights with a disc, what 'time limits' are you-all seeing?

This lady would limit us to only a year of printing rights then we'd either have to purchase the copyright outright or she'll delete them.... I'm not liking that, it doesn't seem long enough.

Re: Photog contract--pay when + printing limits

• SteveandKrisSteveandKris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm seeing that I pay for services before the wedding and products afterwards (like albums).  Most venues require payment before the wedding, not day of, dresses need to be paid in full before work begins, why should the photographer's services be any different?
  • edited December 2011
    My photog required half when we booked and the other half when prints were delivered. I personally have never dealt with a photog or videographer who asked for payment in full prior to the day of the event or prior to presenting you with their product.

As far as "time limit" that's another new one for me and I'm finding that very strange. We got married in 2008 and I am still printing photos here and there for family members. It may be in your best interest (if you book that vendor) to buy out the copyright immediately. Why pay for printing rights and potentially a copyright in the future? Why risk not being able to obtain your photos if she'll delete after a year? Get everything put in writing and signed by the photog. 

Our photog's release read something like this:

I hereby grant anyone in possession of images shot by (photographer) my permission to make unlimited printed or developed photographs, for their personal use, of their portraiture/wedding/event/commercial images. 

My best advice would be to go with your gut. If you aren't comfortable with something then don't do it. IF you have a vendor change anything in a contract for you specifically, get it in writing. 
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice. :)

I know that the venue gets paid in advance--that's a bit different; and it doesn't actually get FULLY paid b/c the bar tab 'n such won't be calculated until AFTER.

And yes, I know wedding dresses and any retailer gets paid before (or at the time) you get your merchandise, but I'm not working with a dress shop either. I'm working with a seamstress who charges a percentage upfront and the rest on delivery--WITH a return/exchange policy.

That's why I wanted to know if this was a 'standard' policy, or one that was something newer. I'd never heard of it, neither had my father who'd taken wedding photos professionally years ago.

Thanks for re-affirming the 'go with ur gut' thing. :) That's always been my saying!
    I'm definitely not comfortable with the time limit, either, as our engagement photog (who's not available for the wedding) had given us an open-ended release.

Thank you, again. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Hi there!

I'm a photographer and unfortunately have had to revise my contract quite a few times based on terrible experiences. As far as payment is concerned, the deposit is half or less and holds your date. You probably figured that out.:) So if you bail for some reason, and it's too late to rebook your date, the photographer still gets paid SOMETHING.

As far as the full balance upfront is concerned, this is new to me too, but unfortunately I've had to start doing it too. I tried to run my business on trust and faith in people, and I guess you just can't do that.  The two-weeks-prior thing is probably to make sure that a check actually clears before your wedding takes place. If you're concerned about the quality of the images or the potential for wanting a refund, (or if you feel sketchy at all), you probably shouldn't have booked them in the first place. You'll find that most photographers ARE expecting payment in full before shooting now, and it's to protect them. There are plenty of things to protect you in the contract too, and as long as you feel comfortable with their track record and the weddings they've shot already, you should be fine.

Another way to check up on your photographer that a lot of people don't think of is to check with a venue they've shot at. You can ask them to list a few venues they've covered, (or recognize them in their portfolio) and contact the wedding coordinator for a recommendation.

Hope this helps!!

Dana
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe we had to pay all of our vendors in full two weeks prior to the wedding.  I think that's pretty standard from what I've seen.

As for the disc "time limit", are you receiving a disc?  We did with all of our pro-pics and have made several copies for family and wedding party.  If you are getting a disc with all of your pro-pics, I don't understand how she can put a time limit on that since you can just copy it.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    When we were looking at photographers it really varied. Some required payment in full before or the day of the wedding and some didn't receive full payment until proofs/albums were delivered. If you're uncomfortable paying in full before hand but really like the photographer ask if they'll change their payment policy to something you're more comfortable with, the worst they can say is no. And, if they don't agree I'm sure you'll be able to find another photographer with acceptable payment terms. 

Also, we get a CD of all of our pictures so we can re-print and have them forever. Most of the photographers we looked at all provided this and we didn't have to buy the copyright. Although I think there was 1 or 2 that we saw that did require you to buy rights, but we didn't even meet with them because so many photogs were offering the CD "free"
  • edited December 2011

Thanks so much, gals! You really helped. :)

I did email the photog back and--not so surprisingly--haven't heard back from her yet. I really am NOT comfortable with the payment policy before and having right to the pix on our disc for a year.

When we got our engagement disc, that photog put his imprint (name) across the bottom of every picture so that in order to print them we have to have his release document sent/faxed anytime we want copies. I still don't know what we're gonna do for the newspaper announcements, short of cropping off his name!! (I know, that's illegal, lol! <rolls eyes /> ;->)

I imagine the lady we looked at was going to give us a _dated_ released letter for one-year from when we got the disc. That's how you'd only be able to print for a year even if you have the disc...the jpgs/pics would have her name on them and places like Snapfish/CVS, etc won't print 'em without a release form.

That's ok, Craigslist here I come! :-D

• edited December 2011
    Every photographer I've met with requires full payment ahead of the wedding.  They are asking for 1/2 down to book the wedding, which is not refundable, and the other half is due two weeks prior to the wedding. I haven't seen anything different. I pay for my dress at the time of ordering, not when picking it up, I pay for flowers when ordering, not when delivered, I pay for the DJ or band up front, the venues are all requiring upfront payment, why would I not pay the photographer? 

It makes sense to me.  What if a photographer books out your wedding day, and after the wedding you don't finish paying?  They're out money for an agreed upon service, and have lost out on booking a couple who would have paid in full.  I also understand the 1/2 to book up front, becuase if you cancel a month before the wedding, it's too late for them to book another wedding.  I don't want to work with any vendors who take payment on the day of the wedding, I want this all done before the wedding, so I don't have to think about those things on our wedding day! 

I don't agree with the limit on the DVD, all of the photographers who I've met with who I believe are high quality, are including the DVD with all their packages. There is no extra cost.  I've had a few photographers try and sell me a specific album at the time of booking, but I believe photographers I've been comfortable with, allow me one year after the time of my wedding to decide on any albums or prints, plus I'll have the DVD of all my prints.  Haven't decided on a photographer yet, but will in the next 30 days.
  • eeeteaeeetea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ChadCarlie - is the included "free" DVD embossed with the photog's name across each iimage or are you free to print clean images?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards