Jewish Weddings

Mentioning Relatives Not Present in the Program

How have people mentioned relatives that could not come due to age/distance in their programs?

I can't remember whether it is a Jewish tradition to mention the names of loved ones who have passed away, but if anyone has done this, how have you written it?

Thank you for your help!

Re: Mentioning Relatives Not Present in the Program

• edited December 2011
    We mentioned grandparents and my husband's father who had passed away in our programs. No one who did not make it due to other circumstances were mentioned in the program. During the ceremony, the rabbi made a comment about those who were not with us because they had passed away, and made special reference to my husband's grandmother and her boyfriend who could not come due to poor health. Other relatives who did not come were not mentioned.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_mentioning-relatives-not-present-program?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:a0587054-3e5a-41a6-ac07-00b513a1782ePost:ade0bc14-7484-4efb-98ea-fc7b3d373818">Re: Mentioning Relatives Not Present in the Program</a>:
    [QUOTE]We mentioned grandparents and my husband's father who had passed away in our programs. No one who did not make it due to other circumstances were mentioned in the program. During the ceremony, the rabbi made a comment about those who were not with us because they had passed away, and made special reference to my husband's grandmother and her boyfriend who could not come due to poor health. Other relatives who did not come were not mentioned.
    Posted by penaltyshot[/QUOTE]

This is what we are doing.
    Anniversary image
  • edited December 2011
    We just did our programs!  We have a section at the end to mention our relatives that have passed away.  I think the wording is something like: "We remember our loved ones that are no longer with us.  May their memories be a blessing to us and future generations." 
  • edited December 2011

We also wish to remember those loved ones who are not with us today: Abel and Nacha , ז״ל,Reuben , ז״ל,William , ז״ל, Edward and Mildred , ז״ל. You are in our hearts and minds.

This is what we did for our grandparents. It is at the bottom of the last page of the program. I don't know what the Hebrew word means, FI put that in.

I feel like there is something about not dwelling on the dead in Judaism at a wedding but I would have to double check my reference book, which is at home right now. HTH!

Anniversary image
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_mentioning-relatives-not-present-program?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:a0587054-3e5a-41a6-ac07-00b513a1782ePost:a24e3d4b-1925-4ab6-abfd-72f618012714">Re: Mentioning Relatives Not Present in the Program</a>:
    [QUOTE]We also wish to remember those loved ones who are not with us today: Abel and Nacha , ז״ל ,Reuben , ז״ל ,William , ז״ל , Edward and Mildred , ז״ל . Y ou are in our hearts and minds.  This is what we did for our grandparents. It is at the bottom of the last page of the program. I<strong> don't know what the Hebrew word means, FI put that in.</strong>   I feel like there is something about not dwelling on the dead in Judaism at a wedding but I would have to double check my reference book, which is at home right now. HTH!
    Posted by MrsMLRB[/QUOTE]

It stands for "of blessed memory" in Hebrew. 
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I didn't mention my dead grandparents.  It's a custom, but not a requirement.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards