Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Hi everyone! Newbie here...

Hi everyone!

My name is Hayley and I'm newly engaged as of Valentine's Day this year:)  My FI and I are planning on a summer 2011 wedding in Pittsburgh.  I'm originally from Mt. Lebanon, but am currently living in Maryland.

So far we have put together our guest list and started our budget, but that is about it.  We are looking at a guest list of 130 and think we would like to have our ceremony and reception in the same place (maybe with an outdoor ceremony, but nothing is set in stone)

Some places we are thinking about (but haven't toured anything yet):
Heinz Field
Phipps
Golf Club at Schenley
Morning Glory Inn
and others....

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself to everyone.  I've read through a few threads already and this looks like such a great resource for wedding planning!  I'm sure I will be asking some specific questions very soon.

Cheers!
Hayley
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hi everyone! Newbie here...

• edited December 2011
    Welcome Hayley!

There's a few ladies on here that are planning a Pittsburgh wedding from OOT, so I'm sure they'll all be ready and waiting with suggestions if you need them. :)

Congrats and good luck!
  • SymoneSSymoneS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Phipps Conservatory is my pick of those listed, I had prices for it a while back and they seemed reasonable, anyway with the remodel and the beautification of Panther Hollow and Schenley Park, it's such a perfect choice. Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Hello and welcome!
      I am also a MD bride planning in Pittsburgh.  What part of MD are you living in currently?  Good luck on your planning and feel free to ask us any questions you might have!
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello and welcome to the board! I'm also an OOT bride (planning from Philly) Everyone on the Pittsburgh board is so nice and helpful! Definitely a great resource!! Welcome and GL with the planning!!
  • edited December 2011
    Hello and Welcome Hayley!

We can't wait to hear more about your wedding.  Please feel free to ask us any questions you may have and join in on the day to day posts!

Best of luck with your planning!
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• edited December 2011
    Welcome, and congrats on your engagement! Yay for another DC area bride! Smile DH and I live have lived in Alexandria for going on 2 years and love it. We moved 10 months before our wedding, so we planned from out of town. It's not always easy, but it works out- just stay organized and on top of things. Good luck with the beginning of your planning.

Oh, and FYI, I don't think Morning Glory Inn gets great reviews on here...
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome and happy planning!

Vacation

• edited December 2011
    Welcome Hayley!

I am planning a May, 2011 wedding at the Twentieth Century Club in Oakland from DC! So, I second Kim's "Yay for DC Brides!" I live in Woodley Park in DC and have been in the district for almost 6 years. I am originally from Lower Burrell/New Ken area in the Pittsburgh area.

I hope you post often! Welcome and Congratulations!!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations and welcome!  I'm also planning from OOT, but the other direction... Chicago :)  I hope you post often!

Ditto Kim, the Morning Glory Inn has received some very bad reviews.  Heinz Field and Phipps get great ones, though!  If you're interested, I can send over our recommended vendor and vendor beware lists.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    Hey, you! We've emailed back and forth a few times about Heinz Field.

Phipps and the Golf Club are good choices too (although the Pittsburgh Golf Club lady never would get back to me), but I think The Inn at the Mexican War Streets is a much better pick than the Morning Glory Inn.

Google Morning Glory Inn wedding and you will see why...nothing but bad reviews and super overpriced! :(

Welcome to the boards and TTY soon!
  • kime31kime31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi & Welcome!  I am also planning a Pittsburgh wedding from MD (northeast of Baltimore to be exact).  The ladies on here are a wonderful resource!
  • amn2152amn2152 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey, just wanted to say hello!

I got engaged last year Feb 15th(my birthday)!!!!!  And my wedding will also be next June! What a coincidence :) I am still on the hunt for places myself especially since I want ceremony and reception in one place. I can tell you what I have looked at so far but my guest count is lower though. Happy Planning!
  • missyt180missyt180 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!

I started posting about 6 weeks back, and these boards are an AMAZING resource!  I'm planning from OOT as well, so it definitely helps to have feedback from "in the know" brides and brides-to-be.

Heinz Field wasn't available for viewing when I was planning, but I believe tours start up next week or the week after.  When I was in town I went to see Mattress Factory (which would be good for your # of guests), Jay Verno Studios, Grand Concourse, Sheraton Station Square, Pennsylvanian, Heinz History Center, and Fairmont.  If you want details on any of those feel free to PM me.

Good luck hunting!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm new here myself - welcome and congrats!

This board is an excellent resource, not to mention that everyone is so friendly and helpful!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the warm welcome:)  I will definitely be on here with a lot of questions! Has anyone planned a cermony and reception in the same venue?
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, my ceremony and reception are both at the Twentieth Century Club. Lots of others on here have had the ceremony and reception in the same spot. Most people probably aren't still reading this thread, so you may want to start a new one.
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in the process of planning my ceremony/reception at the same venue. We just booked the Gateway Clipper. So far it seems to be the most practical way of going about this :)
  • edited December 2011
    Kim,

Can you provide some information or a link about the negative reviews Morning Glory gets?

I was considering this venue pretty seriously, but I may change my mind if people aren't happy with it. 

THX
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards