Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Too much for premium open bar?

I'm trying to figure out how much the bar should cost per person for a five hour reception.  Most places we were looking at charge about $20 for top shelf open bar including tax and gratuity, the next most expensive being $26.  However, the place we liked the most charges $31 a person, and they want an extra $1 pp for imported beer.  This seems crazy to me, especially since a few of the other places offer more for the $20 price.  I'm not sure what the bar should cost though, or how I can negotiate their price down, especially since they came down really easily on the food prices but seem kind of insistent about the bar price.  

Re: Too much for premium open bar?

• Do you like that place better because overall it's a nicer place?  Venues charge commensurate with their ambiance and amenities.  You are going to pay a lot more per person at the Beverly Hills Hotel than you will at the local Marriott, because the Beverly Hills Hotel is a much nicer venue to begin with.

What are the other venues charging for food?  Does the price per person average out?  You need to find out what the cost per person is for the food/beverage package.  Then you can make comparisons.
  • $31 per person sounds reasonable to me.  That is just over $6 an hour.   At a standard bar a drink is between $3-$9 per drink depending on what they are drinking.

Alcohol is generally harder to negotiate.  Not in possible, but harder.   Picking a less expensive brands or limiting the varieties help get down the cost.

Just for comparison - we got married in SJ, but could bring in our own alcohol. We had a premium open bar.   We paid about $17 per person.   We could have had them provide the alcohol for a price of $28 per person. (this was 4 years ago, so I'm sure prices have increased some).

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • That sounds reasonable to me.  We're paying $32 per hour for premium open bar in the Boston area.  That price includes tableside wine service with dinner.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• That's reasonable!

We are paying $25 per person for the first 3 hours, then an additional $7 per person for each hour after that. Breaks down to $39 for 5 hours / $46 for 6 hours, which I thought was pretty good considering we are in Santa Monica, CA. 

Anniversary
  • It sounds reasonable, if you are willing to pay that.

Does that include tax and gratuity? Does it include more bartenders than the venues that cost $20? Does it include stemware in addition to just the alcohol, which the other venues might hide in their meal or service costs, rather than bar costs?

I would look at the price per person over all at the venues you are considering for what you want - parking, dinner, hors d'oeuvres, alcohol, tax, gratuity, etc. Compare the total price. See if you can get them to a price you are willing to pay overall.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards