Attire & Accessories Forum

glasses v. contacts

For those of you brides out there that wear glasses and contacts, which will you wear for your wedding.  I've had a terrible time with the last brand of contacts I've been prescribed.  Does anyone have any advise as to what brands have worked best for them and/or if your just sticking to your glasses.  sorry for jumping around so much. Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: glasses v. contacts

• I'm going contacts all the way, and I don't even have contacts yet (need to go do that this weekend)  My vision's not horrible, I really just wear the glasses while driving at night.  I'm gonna go get contacts though, because my wedding is in the evening, and I'd like to be able to see my fiance clearly without having my much-loathed glasses on for pictures - and they soooo don't match the dress lol
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • my sister bought new white frames to match her dress and they looked great. they were small and rectangular shaped. and the material was a sort of metal. and she continued to wear them after the wedding too of course : )
  • Contacts without a doubt. I have worn glasses since 7th grade and got contacts in high school. There is no way I would ever go back to glasses. I have worn Acuvue2 since I started wearing contacts 12 yrs ago or so. They have been great for me. I tried a different kind once at my check-up and wore them for a bit and didn't like them. I wanted my old ones back and have never tried a new brand since.
  • I used to wear contacts & had problems with them. My mom wants me to wear contacts for the wedding day. I plan on going against her wishes and wear my glasses. I'mjust to worried about if the contacts dry out and itchy & make my eyes red like they used to. plus I love my glasses I have petite glasses with no frame on the bottom only on top. Gow ith what mamkes your eyes comfortable because you do't want to chance red eyes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Contacts.. i wear contacts nearly all day everyday because my vision sucks. I only wear my glasses first thing in the morning and at night. I dont like wearing them out in public unless I have to. If you are the type of girl that wears glasses all the time then its not out of character for you to wear them at your wedding.

As far as what kind of contacts to get, talk to your eye dr because everyones eyes and their eye comfort level is different. They have more breathable and tons of different types of lenses now-a-days.
  • My vision is horrible and I wear glasses all day every day and prefer them but I will get contacts for the ceremony. 
  • Before I had Lasik, I wore contact probably 3/4 of the time, but as I got older, I was having a harder and harder time finding ones that were comfortable. The last round, I must have sampled at least 5 pairs and the last ones still weren't perfect. I found if I wore glasses up until I need the contacts that helped.

I think wearing glasses, though, is definitely a statement. It's whatever you are comfortable with, but for me I wouldn't have wanted glasses in my photos-- don't like how they look.

Now, of course, Lasik made everything better :)

• ahhh i want lasik soo badly! i am a good candidate and can do it...i need to get on that!

i am wearing my contacts....if you afraid your eyes will dry out, bring your glasses and supplies just in case. bring a backup of contacts, eye solution, etc as well. i wouldnt buy a new pair of glasses just for the wedding...for me that seems like a waste.

have you thought about how glasses would go with your hairstyle?? just a thought...
  • I wore contacts for several years and switched back to glasses a couple of years before the wedding.  I got contacts for the wedding because I'm used to them, but if I weren't comfortable with them, I probably would have just gotten nice frames.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I just got contacts so I could wear them for my wedding day. It was a big change considering I always wore glasses. I really think it's just a preference on what you want on your wedding day. Glasses can be really pretty & cute on a bride. If you do decide on contacts I would recommend getting them way ahead of your wedding so you can get used to them. It took about a month before I really got comfortable wearing them all day.
    Love is a canvas furnished by nature and embroidered by imagination.-Voltaire image
  • I have really dry eyes and I've worn Focus Night and Day and they are pretty good. I've just switched to Acuvue Oasis, and they slightly better. I would do contacts unless you can find a very fine and femine pair that won't take away from the beauty of your makeup, hair and dress of course. Good luck!
  • um ... neither.

I can't wear contacts due to past eye surgeries. I wear glasses every single day. And I love my glasses. BUT -- I hate taking pictures in them. This is because there are way too many photos of me in ungly coke-bottle glasses in elementary school, and these oversized montrosities in junior high. Sure, they were in style at the time, but now, when I look back, I can't even see what *I* looked like, becuase all I see is glasses.

So, on my wedding day, I kept my glasses nearby but never wore them. I'm  SO happy I did that, because I love all my photos and won't have to worry about the glasses ruining "the look" in 40 years.
  • I'm wearing my glasses for the ceremony and most of the reception. But I might have contacts on hand to slip in if the dancing gets crazy (and it probably will). I prefer my glasses, because I like the way they look on my face. I just look more like me when I wear them, so I can't imagine getting married without them.
  • I will without a doubt wear contacts - unless something unforseeable happens like a sty or something (I'm keeping my fingers crossed after a huge and hideous one I had in the fall).  I have worn contacts for 15 years, and have a few pairs of really nice frames but still only wear them on very limited occasions.  I wear Air Optix, by CibaVision and they are really comfortable.  They are supposed to let more oxygen in your eyes.  At first it was a weird change from my old ones I wore but now I love them.  And I have an astigmatism in both eyes and still have no problems.

The only thing I can say for people who always wear glasses is that sometimes when you don't wear them, it just looks weird (for lack of a better word) because nobody ever sees you without them.  A girl I went to high school with, who has worn glasses for probably 20 years everyday, decided not to wear hers for her wedding, and seriously I didn't even recognize her when I saw the pictures.  But its totally your call and based on what you feel more comfortable in.

I read that a few of you plan on getting contacts before your wedding.  I would definitely recommend going a month or 2 before so that you can try them out and get comfortable in them, and find the right pair.  They can be very hard for people to adjust to, especially if you're trying to wear them all day right away.  Red scratchy and uncomfortable eyes will haunt you in your pictures way more than glasses will.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Focus Night & Day.  I hate my glasses and only wear them when my allergies are really bad.
  • I wear both and will be wearing contacts on the day of.  However, by the evening my eyes tend to get dry and irritated, and I usually have to take my contacts out.  I am planning on making sure i have my case on me so if I need to at the reception I can take them out. I have horrible vision, but I fiigure by that time and a few glasses of champagne my vision won't matter much! haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards