June 2013 Weddings

Time off for the wedding?!?

How much time are you planning on taking off for the wedding (before and after)?

I started a new job a few months ago, so my vacation time is a bit more limited then it would have been had I stayed at my previous job. I'm thinking that taking off Thursday and Friday for a Saturday wedding would be plenty and then about a full week after the wedding for our honeymoon but i'm not sure if that is enough/too much time? ha

Re: Time off for the wedding?!?

• For me, about a week before and 2 weeks after. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Katie, I'm planning on doing the same as you.  I'm not doing a whole lot of DIY, so I don't think I'll need a lot of time before the wedding.  I also lucked out that the week after is the 4th of July, so that doesn't count as one of my days off.
  • My fiance is taking a half day on Thursday, off Friday before the wedding; then the week after for our honeymoon.
  • I'll use a vacation day to take the Friday before off. Hopefully I'll have some overtime comp to use to take Thursday off as well, or at the afternoon. I may take more off before if we take a shorter honeymoon. We're either doing a cross country road trip for three weeks, or flying to the west coast and driving from Seattle to San Diego for a week. Haven't decided yet, so depending on how much honeymoon time I need will dictate my time off before. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I am taking the Thursday and Friday before because we will be making all the centerpieces. The flowers should be delivered Wednesday and we will but them together Thursday. If I wasn't doing the centerpieces I would only be taking Friday off
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AllieS421AllieS421 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    Luckily, I'm a teacher so I don't have to worry about timeoff. But my fiance is going to do the day before the wedding (so Friday for our wedding on Saturday) and then the week after the wedding and the following Monday and Tuesday since we will be on our honeymoon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited November 2012
             I will be taking 1/2 day Thursday and Friday before the wedding, I'll be worthless to my employer anyways that week before and if there is some kind of emergency (i.e. my flowers don't arrive on time) I'll have a chance to fix it...
              I am hiring a college student to put up some of the decor and move some pieces from the ceremony to the reception. So I will be arranging the centerpieces for my wedding and making up some detailed instructions.
            We are going to have a 6 day honeymoon so we can relax the sunday after the wedding and the honeymoon (travel takes a lot out of me- I need my recovery days!)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"So it's not gonna be easy. It's going to be really hard; we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me... everyday."~The Notebook~
  • I plan to take a half day Thursday, which will be my rehersal dinner and also when I get my nails done, and off Friday. Then I am taking off 2 weeks after for the honeymoon. Unfortunately, because this is a new job, I'll have to take some of that Honeymoon time as unpaid. Unless I get super lucky and I get a teaching job for the next school year.
    Honeymoon Destination - Hawaii image
  • I'm estimating about 2.5 weeks of time off in total. I'll be taking off Wed-Friday the week of the wedding. (wedding is on Saturday.) My mom is planning and paying for our honeymoon, so I really have no idea how long that will be! We've discussed time and it looks like it will be somewhere from 1-2 weeks, so i'm planning for more and if I don't need it than no biggie. :)
  • I'm getting married on a Friday evening, so FI and I are taking the Thursday & Friday off work, and the following week for our honeymoon.

Its not the destination so much as the journey, they say. - Captain Jack Sparrow Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • thanks ladies! sounds like i'll be just fine!! :) so crazy to think that our weddings are only like 7 months away so its time to start thinking about putting in vacation time and stuff! :)
  • edited November 2012
    I am working up until that Wednesday. My FI will work until Thursday of that week. Then it's 2 weeks for the honeymoon :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not planning on taking time off before hand unless my schedule changes. I only work from 3:30 to 7:30 most of the time so I have most of the day to get things done. I may take the day before off if my bosses are okay with it. I do know for sure that I am taking the week after off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My wedding is on Sunday, but I might take Friday off if our rehearsal dinner is Thursday night. Our honeymoon is Monday to Monday week, and I'll probably take Tuesday and Wednesday off as well to recover from the time change. So it looks like overall it would be just short of two weeks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Since ours is a Sunday wedding, I might take the Friday before off to be able to tie up loose ends, then the week after we're hoping to take the honeymoon and be back the following Monday or Tuesday depending on how long of a honeymoon we can take/afford.
  • I'm thinking about this also. I taught summer school last year and would like to do it again, but the session is June 13th - July 3rd this year. Granted it's only 3 hours a day and I would take the day before the wedding off if I need those 3 hours. Then the next session wouldn't start til after the 4th of July, which is okay since we're planning our honeymoon in August.
  • I'll be teaching so I'll have summer off, but FH will have just started a new job and he'll only have a week's vacation :-( So we'll just have the week after the wedding off. But since we'll have both recently graduated with our Masters I guess it could be worse! ^_^
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • I'm planning to take two full weeks (9 vacation days, plys 4th of July). I'm taking Wednesday-Friday off before the wedding, plus the full week after, and the Monday-Tuesday of the week after that. We'll be traveling to Europe, so we needed the extra days to travel afterwards as well.
    "I finally realized that I didn't want to live in world that you weren't a part of. And that was hard to admit to myself, and not just because it ends in a preposition." Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards