Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Menu Assistance Needed

Hey, ladies. I am trying to figure out what to do for my reception menu. Our wedding is at 5:30. So, we are doing a sit down dinner. We are on a really tight budget. However, the future-in-laws insist on the sit down dinner. What would be something besides pasta that is affordable?
**October 8, 2011**

Re: Menu Assistance Needed

• unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    where is your venue? is your food diy?
  • UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BBQ is fairly affordable and popular.  You may want to talk to local ethnic restaurants, rather than traditional wedding caterers, because they're often cheaper (and you can pick a cool cuisine theme!).
  • edited December 2011
    I am facing the exact same decisions!  We are getting married at 5:00 and want a sit down because quests will be sitting on two levels (Balcony) and we want them to be able to just sit and enjoy their time.  However on a tight budget we really need to consider the menu.  My caterer has been fantastic.  She asked me what we wanted to pay per person and she is putting together a list of different items she can do for that price.  She is putting two seafoods, a pork, two chickens, two beefs and one vegetarian on the list for us to look at.  She said anything else she comes up with she will add as well.  Have a good conversation with the caterer and explain you still want amazingly good food, but need to be on a tight budget.  Good Luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • dannette926dannette926 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My venue is TurnBrooke Manor, an outdoor venue next fall. The reception will be on a tent covered patio and spreaded out around the pool. No, I am trying not to do diy food. I have appointments set up with two caterers.
    **October 8, 2011**
  • edited December 2011
    Good luck - sit down dinners are usually less expensive than buffet - so it might be more do-able than you think! Have fun with the caterers.
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'd recommend doing what the prior poster said, and it's what I will do when I meet with caterers: Tell them what you can afford. Don't be shy if that amount is not a lot of money, either. And remember, they tack on gratuities and taxes, so figure that in. If you can afford $25 per person, tell them $20 per person, because tax & gratuities (depending on your area) will add up to another $4-$5 per person. Then you have to figure in the alcohol if it's not included in the price.

In most areas of the country, the economic situation has kicked the *sses of catering companies. Businesses are having fewer catered events, bridal couples are spending much less on weddings. Depending on the size of the catering company and wedding, if they can book a party in the future for $2000-$3000 they'll do it even if the profits are not that great.

Good luck.

• tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check with your local culinary arts school too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards