Christian Weddings
Options

hymns

I am pretty much leaving the music to my fiance's roommate who is a classical composer.  He is going to compile several classical songs that can be played on the piano for us, as well as write the song I walk down the aisle to.  However, I would like to throw a few hymns in there somewhere.  Do you have any suggestions?  The stuff I am thinking of is kinda cheesy...like lighting the unity candle..."this little light of mine"  lol...not quite right.  Thanks so much!

Re: hymns

• Options
    sweetpea0911sweetpea0911 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm Presbyterian, and glancing through my hymnal, I found a couple different hymns that they suggest:

Not for Tongues of Heaven's Angels
    O God, You Give Humanity Its Name
    O Perfect Love
    The Grace of Life is Theirs

I'm going to try and youtube them later, and my organist from home is recording them for me, but I don't know if we'll be using any of them.  Hope you find what you're looking for! =]

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
    oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks!  I hope you to as well!
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One of my favorite hymns is "Great is Thy Faithfulness" which is not really a wedding song but the words I really like are "All I have needed, thy hand hath provided".  For me, I'm sure that God provided my husband to me as someone that I needed in my life.
  • Options
    felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love it!  I am not sure we will be having singers, just music, but having songs that I know, and love, means a lot!  Thanks

I love worship music and you cant get any more worshipful than hymns, and that is a great one!
  • Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using:

All Creatures of Our God & King
    For the Beauty of the Earth
    Take My Life & Let it Be

I'm sure whatever you use will be fine, espcially if he friend is musically inclined.
  • Options
    felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He is musically inclined...I think...I don't think I have ever actually heard anything he has done.  I just have a hard time relinquishing all control of anyhting, and want a few songs that are meaningful to me, and not just some random classical pieces I have never heard of...Thanks for the lists...I was knowing I wanted hymns, I just went blank about thinking of any!
  • Options
    bfroeschbfroesch member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's a site with top 10 Christian wedding songs!
    http://christianmusic.about.com/od/specialcharts/tp/aatp081603.htm

also, I love this song and my church did a skit to it...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-kxk3EoKTI
    it's a really loving song by Lifehouse
  • Options
    TwylaB123TwylaB123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm opting to have a mostly hymn prelude.  Still working on the selections (just started actually), but am picking mostly our favorites, rather than those particularly related to a wedding.  Also, including my mom's favorite, "It Is Well," just because--since she is now with the Lord.

I'm leaning toward the following in the prelude:  "Great is Thy Faithfulness,"  "O Worship the King," "How Firm a Foundation," "A Mighty Fortress," and "O For a Thousand Tongues."  After all, our lives and our marriage had better be built on the firm foundation of God's faithfulness.

I'm thinking of having a congregational hymn during the ceremony, "The Love of God" by Lehman.  After all, we can only love because He first loved us, right?
  • Options
    felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am loving thos board.  Thank you all for your suggestions.  It is so nice to actually get answers for things like this from not only a Christian persepective, but from women who really love God!  Thank you Ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards