Pre-wedding Parties

Two showers this weekend!

I'm already feeling tired. I'm co-hosting my sister's bridal shower for this Sunday. I'm in charge of food and games. I'm not sure how the games will go because half of the guests don't speak english. I figured I'd just get a decent spread and hope everyone relaxes. I'm looking to pick up a few party trays at the grocery store and make some fresh strawberry lemonade, my sister's favorite beverage. I wasn't planning on getting my sister a present, is this okay? As her wedding gift I paid for her photographer so that's sufficient right?

I have an appointment for Saturday at 2pm and I got an invitation in the mail for my friend's bridal shower which is this Saturday at 3pm. Sigh. I already let them know that I would be a little late and I'm attempting to make my appointment a little sooner. Luckily I already have a gift for her. I knew I was getting invited to her shower but I didn't know when it would be so I wrapped up some photo albums and an espresso/cappuchino maker. 

This is not really a vent, just a look at how busy I'm going to be this weekend. But I guess this will be nothing compared to next month. I start school again on August 22nd. My friend's wedding is Friday August 24th which FI and I will be able to do. My sister's wedding is Monday August 27th. Yes it's a Monday, it's an initmate family affair at city hall. I actually have class that day, the first day of class in fact, but fortunately I know the professor so I've already worked it out with him so I don't get dropped from the class for not being there the first day. I'm not going to tell my sister about this until after the they come back from their honeymoon. I know she would feel awful for putting me in this predicament but I love her and wouldn't dream of missing her big day.

Wow, so did not realize how long this would be. I guess I had this weighing on my mind for awhile.

Re: Two showers this weekend!

• The response I initially wrote to this was really snarky, but I think it may have been too mean, so here's the toned down version. Please take a moment to step back and think about how lucky you are to be able to have so many parties to celebrate joyous events in the lives of people you love. An attitude adjustment would help a lot here, I think. And no, you don't need to get your sister a shower gift.
  • Oh crap I truly didn't mean to come off mean or ungrateful! I know how lucky I am to have these amazing people in my life and they didn't ask me to do anything for them. I did this all on my own because I wanted to. I didn't mean for it to come off as I'm resentful towards them or anything. I'm thrilled for them I promise! I'm sorry calli I was just sitting back and looking at all the stuff I have coming up as in "Wow, I'm have a lot to do this is going to be exciting!" but it didn't come off that way so I apologize.

I'm seriously this close to getting out of work so I think once I will get some food in my system I will be able to comprehend the tone I was giving off in my OP.
  • No, no, it's okay; I know sometimes all this stuff can get stressful and feel overwhelming.  But that's kind of my point, I guess; whenever it starts to feel that way (about other people's weddings or your own) it's really important to do the attitude adjustment thing where you step back and remember that you're celebrating happy occasions with people you love.  And that all the other stuff besides that really doesn't matter in the long run.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards