Massachusetts

Wedding Venue Search- need advice!

Hi everyone,
I've been on the wedding venue hunt for the past two months and am starting to get discouraged. The fiancé and I are based in NYC, but we're looking to get married next year in Western Mass./Upstate NY/Southern VT area where he's from.

We've been looking at places in Lenox, Lee, Pittsfield, and Holyoke MA, as well as some places in NY like Schenectady, Saratoga and Cambridge and Manchester and Bennington VT. So far we haven't found a single thing that fits our needs and budgets and we've looked at all of the usual suspects mentioned on these boards (Log Cabin/Delaney, Berkshire Hill Country Club, Bucksteep Manor, Look Park, Crissey Farm, The Kemble Inn, The Inn at Manchester, etc.).

We want someplace where we can get married outdoors and have the reception either in a tent outdoors or inside in a room with lots of windows. We're looking at a guest list of about 125-175 people right now and we have a grand total of $12,000 TOTAL (so for food, drinks, DJ, flowers, venue, etc.) to spend.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me of places that aren't frequently mentioned on these boards that might be able to accomodate the wedding I'm dreaming of? We have an appointment to view the Red Barn at Hampshire College in Holyoke next month, but right now that's the ONLY option I have right now. I need more places and not being from the area, have no clue what I'm doing or where to even start looking.

Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Starting to get really discouraged and frustrated, when all I really want to do is just enjoy the engagement. Help!

Re: Wedding Venue Search- need advice!

• edited December 2011
    Have you thought about the Log Cabin in Holyoke?
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, we already looked there, but it's going to be too expensive. It's definitely along the lines of what I'm looking for, but it's too pricy for the size wedding we want to have.
  • edited December 2011
    The Red Barn is in Amherst, not Holyoke, I'm getting married there next month.  The venue holds a max of 120 (a bit less than your guest list) and I'll just be honest but I don't think it quite fits into your budget, the venue fee, cake and food alone will put you over 12,000.

Sorry I don't think that was super helpful.  Another one you can look into is Salem Cross Inn in West Brookfield it has a higher capacity and the food costs are less.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the recommendation. Will look them up. Yeah, we're pretty much resigning ourselves to the fact that nothing we like is in our budget. I just find it so hard to believe that $12K isn't enough to get us something more than the local VFW hall. Boggles my mind how expensive all of this gets. I just want something simple and fun for my family and friends, with some halfway decent food and a great view—is that so wrong?!?!
  • edited December 2011
    It is crazy!!

I'm not 100% familiar with the area you're talking about, I grew up on the CT boarder but...could you try contacting some art houses? I think the Eric Carslile museum will allow events. I THINK N. Adams might have an art museum. While you'd have to get everything yourself, you'd at least have the chance to look for deals.

And you're not missing much by not getting married at the Log Cabin. I'm getting married there in less than 2 months and lets just say I'm less than impressed. 
    August 2011: E-Pic! Photobucket
    229 image Invited to celebrate!
    191 image Remembered to RSVP!
    26 image Can't make it
    7 image Got lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Have you considered country clubs?  I know there are a couple in Westfield that might fall in your budget,  Shaker Farms Country club, East Mountain Country Club.  For an outside wedding I am looking at Amelia Park in Westfield, MA.  You can't have your reception there but they only ask for a donation to do the ceremony. 

Edit:  Also just thought of Look Park in Northampton.  Lots of outdoor space and I think they have facilities to hold reception.  Might be worth checking out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CarolynEllCarolynEll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How about the Barney Carriage House at Forest Park in Springfield? We're having our reception there, but they have several beautiful locations in the park for the ceremony. You have to bring your own caterer, so that helps with cost a bit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tedds1219tedds1219 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure the cost, or if you've looked there, but the Mount in Lenox is absolutely beautiful- gardens, terrace, various locations on the site for the reception... Also, the cost to rent the facility is partially tax deductible.  Might be worth it to check it out.  
  • bpphoto785bpphoto785 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can only speak for the Berkshires, but there's Skyline Country Club in Lanesboro MA or ITAM in Pittsfield. They're not expensive, have nice views and are big enough for your guest lists. Any of the historical buildings or musuems will have outrageous rental charges.  
    If you don't mind me asking, what was wrong with Berkshire Hills? It sounds like it should fit your budget and guest list. (We looked their for our wedding)
    May '12 Nesties
    March Siggy Challenge: Furbaby
    MARRIED!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I guess I need to get my eyes checked, I didn't read that you had already looked at the Log Cabin!  Sorry about that!

How about Hartman's Herb Farm in Barre MA?
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • sickl20asickl20a member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Have you checked out The Warfield House Inn? Sounds like it would meet your wants/needs perfectly!
    We have an August wedding booked there.  Planning on the ceremony outside in their little garden/lawn area (has a cute gazebo!).  The reception will be in a pavillion.  It's a great location for us-- the pavillion can hold up to 200.
    The view is incredible, it's a working farm, there are two houses where your family/bridal party could stay... they have a restaurant on site where we're hosting our simple dinner the night before. 
    I've visited a couple of times-- if you have other questions, just let me know!

• sickl20asickl20a member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Also, here is a list of places we looked into but did not end up using.  Most are in Southern VT/Southern NH or Western MA:

The Inn at Valley Farms
    Les Trois Emme Winery
    Golden Lamb Buttery
    The Inn at Richmond
    Worthington Pond Farm &Garden
    Rock Hall Estate
    Inn at Green River
    Garden Gables
    Shaker Mill Inn
    Bucksteep
    Hawthorne Inn
    Mountain View Grand
    Inn at Laurel Lake

• edited December 2011
    Hi
    I was in the same pickle. We are getting married at the Warfield House Inn. Working farm with gourgeous views and covered pavilon for reception. You have to bring in your own caterer. They have a good list. $2000 gets you the garden overlooking mtns for wedding, chairs, tables, and two bartenders and a dance floor.  They are very nice. Hope this helps! Tina

www.warfieldhouseinn.com - (413) 339-6600
  • edited December 2011
    We actually like Berkshire Hills—our one complaint was the ceremony site. it's right by the parking lot and just wasn't what we were envisioning for the ceremony portion. Also, they only have Fridays available. It's still on the backburner as an option, but it's not my first choice at the moment.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, wow, the Warfield looks right up our alley. Thanks for all of the great advice everyone. You've definitely got me excited about this again. Just the boost I needed!!!
  • edited December 2011
    So I saw a couple of references to Bucksteep Manor on here- what were the oppinions of it- I am hoping to check it out in a week or so, but was curious as to what the overall opinion on the place was...
  • edited December 2011

What time of year are you looking at?  Harrington Farm in Princeton, Ma is amazing!
    And Nov 1st - April 1st has a reduced rate for weddings!

Vacation Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • mightiemousiemightiemousie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Harding Allen Estate in Barre. It's got everything you want

• tanya1977tanya1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if you need a wedding planner in the western mass/berkshires area, my site is www.bowtiesandbutterflies.com

What time of year are we talking about for an outdoor wedding?

The Garden House at Look Park in Florence MA is beautiful and has the indoor/outdoor option.

There are some great options in this area, but depends on the season.
  • Elm Court, in Lenox MA would be a great option! My finace and I had been planning to have our wedding there this coming November and unfortunately, sadly had to cancel. Our cancellation had absolutely nothing to do with the venue however, it was a dream location - stunning veiws, a historic Vanderbilt estate, and the nicest proprieters you could imagine. 
    I am putting out some feelers because, in addition to cancelling our wedding, I felt really bad about leaving them in the lunch and if i can help them book another party, will be able to recieve part of my deposit back. Please do not misunderstand me though, this place is one of a kind, romantic and I would have been so thrilled to get married here. They have a really nice outdoor area for the ceremony, a pretty conservatory for cocktails that overlooks the mountains and a lake, and all your guests could stay onsite. There is plenty of room for up to 250 guests to eat and dance very comfortably and you would be able to bring in your own vendors.

We had chosen November 3, 2012 because the foliage will be at its prime, and its before daylight savings time so we'd have a nice sunset.  If you are interested, please get in touch with me and I would be happy to put you in touch with Elm Court. 

Best, Jenna
  • oops just realized how long ago this was posted!!! sorry! :) hope you found your dream place!
  • oops just realized how long ago this was posted!!! sorry! :) hope you found your dream place!
  • edited March 2012
    oops just realized how long ago this was posted!!! sorry! :) hope you found your dream place!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards