New York-Long Island

Vendor Rant-Helen's Bridal Commack

I had my first dress fitting on Saturday 3/17/12 at Helen's Bridal in Commack. When I purchased my dress I was made clear that the "CAP" for alterations was $295 and that my bustle would be $125 for a French & $99 for a regular, and cups would also be extra. When I tried on my dress and was meeting with the seamstress she made it clear I needed about an inch taken in under my arms on each side for my top because it was too big. I knew I needed a hem also but we weren't doing anything with the hem until my 2nd fitting so that was not touched. When my charges were being added up I noticed the number was over $450. I asked what that was and they said that is the charge for alteraitons plus tax.
In my opinion I felt my alterations were minor and didn't think I was going to get charged the full $295 cap. I spoke with the women there who were all ver nice and they said this is what they charge and that I can speak with the owner if I had a problem with it. I called the owner, anthony, on Tuesday 3/20/12. He was rude from the minute he answered the phone. I was basically calling looking for an explanation as to why I was being charged the full cap for alterations that seemed minor.

He said, "You knew the fee from the start and this is not my problem, this is what we charge eveyone." I said I understand what the cap is but wasn't sure with my alterations why I needed to pay the whole thing. He said, "it's like when you cook a steak. Whether it's a 2oz or a 20oz steak you cook it the same way. The woman is doing the same job as if she took off an inch or a foot and this is the way it is" He was very obnoxious and I even said to him 3 times during our conversation "why are you being so rude, why are you talking to me like this & being so mean?" He had the attitude where this is the way it is, take it or leave it. I told him I never heard a bad review about him and that we even used his place for my brothers wedding for my SILs gown & BM dresses. I said I could write a bad review and he said "Go ahead and do it, I don't care" UGH Needless to say I picked up my dress from there Tuesday night  and refuse to use them for my alterations.
I cannot believe there are people in this world that actually treat their customers this way. The only reason that business is still running is because of the wonderful women that work there. If you are using Helen's pleas be aware that the owner is a rude and obnoxious person who could care less about anyone but himself and I hope you never have to deal with him. Also be aware that when they tell you CAP they actually mean FEE so plan on paying the whole thing. I would not want anyone else crying over things like this. 43 more days till my wedding and now I have to deal with finding someone to alter my dress :-(
Li Weddings deleted my post so I figured I would give you girls a heads up on my experience too!

Re: Vendor Rant-Helen's Bridal Commack

• I also bought my dress from them - I'm sorry you had a bad experience with them but my experience was wonderful.  Granted, mine was almost 2 years ago so things may have changed but breathe!  Everything will work out!
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited March 2012
    it does sound like a miscommunication. it probably could've been avoided had you asked how much the alterations would be for what you were having done. i'm absolutely not blaming you but in hind site (and if anyone reads this maybe it will help them going forward) to ask at the time and get it in writing as to what they're doing and how much it will cost.  i also think that $155 for tax is incorect.

• REPORT THEM TO BBB!

thats horrible!!!!!!  Thank you for the heads up, will NOT be getting anything done there

Oct. 2012 Siggy E-Rings Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards