Flowers
Options

Fired up about flowers! Needing to vent

This may be a long post, I will apologize now.  First off, I am not opposed to having flowers at my wedding, I am just opposed to paying thousands of dollars for them.  I sent my budget at $500 and went off to my first consultant hoping to get simple bouquets for myself and four bridesmaids, a few corsages, and boutonnieres for the groomsmen.  I could tell I was way out of my league when I entered the place.  So the first thing I said was that my budget is $500.  Instead of telling me then that I was probably in the wrong flower shop, the lady proceeded to sit me down and talk non stop for two hours about all of the weddings and events the flower shop had provided flowers for, HBO, Cinemax, etc.  She suggested pomander balls for the church pews and offered to work up an estimate for reception centerpieces as well.  I again brought up my budget and stated that I am sure that this all would be way out of my budget.  She smiled and said you never know and scheduled an appointment with me for the following week.  Next week arrives and she provides me with an estimate of $1800 and said, I may be able to take off some things like the delivery charge, btw my church is literally two blocks away, so I felt this was the least she could do.  I told her I would discuss with my fiance and get back to her, because again she talked for two hours and I didn't have time to stay and ponder over her estimate. I came back with my fiance to review the estimate, because she wouldn't let me take it with me, but she went over her whole sales pitch the same as she did when I first went.  My fiance's eyes are glazed over with boredom, until she finally shows us the estimate.  He states that this is not within our budget and she should remove the pomander balls and centerpieces.  Now instead of recalculating her estimate right then, she says she will email it to me.  I offer to pay the deposit stating that I know that I want her to provide the flowers and I am sure that we can get the estimate closer to our original budget maybe around $700.  A week goes by and she calls, pissed off and demanding to know why I haven't called her with my decision.  I reminded her that she was to send me just the cost.  She says she will send it by the end of the weekend.  The estimate comes on Monday, and it is for $913 dollars!  At this point, I am second guessing using her, she never gets downto the cost unless pushed, and I am not even sure that she is providing me with just the simple bouquets that I envisioned.  I am recalling her estimate with flowers that include crystal pins, tons of greenery, and berries.  I wanted simple hand wrapped roses, no crystal, no berries. I called her and she was rude, basically just asked me if I am going with them or not? I told her my concerns about the bouquets and that we were still not within my budget.  She tells me I can make payments.  I tell her, it isn't that we don't have the money, we just don't want to spend that much on flowers, and I just want something simple.  She starts ranting about how her time is valuable and she provided me with all these consultations which aren't free and how she didn't charge me.  Then she asks me rudely if I just want her to use carnations.  I told her that she was the expert and if she felt that I was asking for the impossible she should have told me.  I also apologized for wasting her time.  She says that I didn't waste her time, but she would have to get back to me by the close of business. One hour later she sends me an email informing me that she could rework the estimate taking off the corsages, and it would be $790, but she is sure that would still be TOO much for me, and that me and my fiance should look for another vendor.  How rude! And to think her flyer says that she works with all budgets and BM bouquets start at $40.  What a liar!

Re: Fired up about flowers! Needing to vent

• Options
    Sorry that happened to you. I can see you are angry.

Using a florist for their skill is going to cost more than just getting the flowers yourself. I recommend you find and post an inquiry on your local wedding board (to the left, "Local Wedding Boards") and other Knot brides for recommendations of a florist in your area that CAN meet your budget. There are a lot of people who do flowers for special events out of their homes and do a lovely job. I've seen posts on our local board about them, and I'm sure they exist in every geographic area.

Don't get yourself worked up over one bad vendor. Breathe deeply and relax. And use your local brides' advice and counsel for good vendors.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I'm dealing with the SAME thing right now. I have a friend doing my bouquets, but I wanted to hire someone to just do very small simple, arrangements for my reception and everyone in NYC is charging such ridiculous prices. I finally broke down and cried this morning. I'm just so sick of this entire industry. the minute you say wedding you get screwed. :( Let me know if you find anyone PLEASE!
  • Options
    Have you checked out a local grocery store with a floral department?   We are getting simple centerpieces from a local grocery store that is known for its great flower-garden department.   The people there were pointing out different flowers with a lower price point to help us meet our low budget.  
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    You should have walked away after telling her what your budget was and then she came back with something almost quadruple what you stated. 

Walk away and find someone else.

• Options
    I am so sorry this happened to you! I was curious to see how others viewed florists, as I am one myself and I, personally, do $500 wedding party flowers all the time and they include calla lilies!! The right florist is out there for you and I hope that you find one because doing it yourself is really hard and a stress you dont need the day before your wedding day. Good Luck!!! 
  • Options
    flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited March 2013
    yes...you should have walked away......she also should have told you that your budget for what you wanted was unrealistic. 

just an FYI to all the brides.....DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT pay a deposit unless you feel comfortable with the florist....There are many of us in the industry that are excellent florists and LISTEN to what our brides tell us.

I am sorry you had such a horrible experience with this one person...professionals in out industry do not act like this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards