Students
Options

Getting married in Vegas, what to expect?

Im planning on getting married in Vegas but on return having reception, is it proper to do that? and should I expect gifts, a bridal shower, all that comes with being a bride to be even though im getting married in Vegas? I really need some advice, we are planning to go in December. Oh how does the money tree/bag ideal work?

Re: Getting married in Vegas, what to expect?

• Options
    For more specific info on Vegas weddings you should post on the destination wedding board.  However, regardless of what sort of wedding you have, you should never "expect" gifts or a bridal shower.  If you have friends that want to throw you a bridal shower, that's great, but it should never be an expectation.  Also, a reception is traditionally your way of thanking your guests for attending the wedding, so while guests may bring gifts they should not be expected too. 

I've never heard of a money bag.  However most on here will tell you that a money tree is just a way of money grabbing from your guests and don't recommend it. 
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    It's generally considered okay to have an "at home reception" (AHR) in two circumstances.
    1) You have a private ceremony, meaning you and immediate family ONLY.  Then you have a bigger AHR later.
    2) You invite everyone to the ceremony, under the assumption that very few will make the trip. Then, when you get home, everyone who was invited to the ceremony can come to the AHR. It's generally considered tacky to invite people to only the reception- they might see it as "I'm good enough to come and bring a gift, but not to watch you get married, which is the important part?" See how that could hurt feelings?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_getting-married-in-vegas-what-to-expect?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:3ec4d1bc-f9a0-4c5d-866b-2e6e18558aa7Post:6575dedd-b8ed-4064-8e57-ec614660dd4b">Re: Getting married in Vegas, what to expect?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For more specific info on Vegas weddings you should post on the destination wedding board.  However, regardless of what sort of wedding you have, you should never "expect" gifts or a bridal shower.  If you have friends that want to throw you a bridal shower, that's great, but it should never be an expectation.  Also, a reception is traditionally your way of thanking your guests for attending the wedding, so while guests may bring gifts they should not be expected too.  I've never heard of a money bag.  However most on here will tell you that a money tree is just a way of money grabbing from your guests and don't recommend it. 
    Posted by ChristineNB[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I second this.  

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    I'd also post on the E board. AHRs have very specific guidelines in order to make all guests feel like they're part of the celebration, rather than an afterthought. 
  • Options
    lgoin1lgoin1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    From what I've read (or noticed by looking for invitations), it's acceptable to get married and have a reception afterward.  However, without inviting anyone that would be an elopement.  As others have said, don't expect a bridal shower, although one of your friends may want to do it.  Receptions are a thank you for guests, but don't necessarily have to be a thank you for coming to the ceremony- it can be a "thank you for supporting us, for loving us etc." type of deal for family and friends.  But because of this, don't expect gifts  (but they will probably come anyway).  Not sure what a money bag or tree is.  I know what a money DANCE is, but again, it may be in poor taste to have it with the ceremony separate, just like expecting gifts etc. without inviting everyone to the ceremony.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards