Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal Shower?

I got engaged earlier this year. Were getting married August 2013, and have most things planned n paid for. Something came up and I needed insurance, so we did a quicky wedding in Nov with only our parents there as were still planning to have the big family wedding in August. My question is my bridesmaids still want to throw me a shower and I know i kinda don't get a say in it, but most people already know were married, i'm afriad people will think were just looking for gifts. Is it ok to still have the shower, we never had any type of engagement party and we really could use the gifts as were buying a house too. How do I handle this?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bridal Shower?

• Retread is right, you should decline the shower. Are you buying a home or moving? Perhaps they could throw you some kind of housewarming shower instead.

Is there any way to rework what you have planned a bit?

I understand you need insurance, but having a wedding ceremony when you are already married just seems...less than honorable.  Why not skip the ceremony part of the day and all things "bridal" (bridesmaids, being given away, bouquet toss, first dance, etc) in favor of a great party to celebrate your marraige?  You can keep your reception venue, decprations, food, DJ, and whatever else, just reword your invitations a bit so that it is very clear you are already married.

Some people will side-eye you for it, but I think it would be okay for you to still wear your dress if you already bought it, depending on the style. That is the one thing that really doesn't affect guests comfort at all, so I don't see it as a huge deal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't think you should have to decline your shower just because you had a medical emergency that forced you to marry sooner than expected so you could utilize insurance. In this economy, people are very understanding and the people who may feel offended probably won't come to the shower anyway. I just recently attended a wedding for a friend whose husband is in the marines and for medical reasons they married a year before their wedding date. Her family and friends were aware of this and yet we still threw her a shower, a bachelorette party, and they had a lovely wedding ceremony and reception. I don't veiw it as greedy or selfish to want the things that come with celebrating a union just because the timing of your union didn't happen the way it was supposed to.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-50?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:42c81d97-7539-45fb-a6f7-3c40f6af0fd5Post:c5fe5cce-8afb-4733-8363-d34f3eb9afa8">Re: Bridal Shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think you should have to decline your shower just because you had a medical emergency that forced you to marry sooner than expected so you could utilize insurance. <strong>In this economy, people are very understanding</strong> and the people who may feel offended probably won't come to the shower anyway. I just recently attended a wedding for a friend whose husband is in the marines and for medical reasons they married a year before their wedding date. Her family and friends were aware of this and yet we still threw her a shower, a bachelorette party, and they had a lovely wedding ceremony and reception. I don't veiw it as greedy or selfish to want the things that come with celebrating a union just because the timing of your union didn't happen the way it was supposed to.
    Posted by Apples2013[/QUOTE]
    This makes no sense since she's still having a big wedding where the money could have been spent on something like health insurance.
  • I don't think you should have to decline your shower just because you had a medical emergency that forced you to marry sooner than expected so you could utilize insurance. In this economy, people are very understanding and the people who may feel offended probably won't come to the shower anyway. I just recently attended a wedding for a friend whose husband is in the marines and for medical reasons they married a year before their wedding date. Her family and friends were aware of this and yet we still threw her a shower, a bachelorette party, and they had a lovely wedding ceremony and reception. I don't veiw it as greedy or selfish to want the things that come with celebrating a union just because the timing of your union didn't happen the way it was supposed to.
  • I agree with bunii 100%

1. A housewarming is an appropriate celebration for a couple that is already married. Too late for a shower.

2. You can still have your big party, but make sure all of your guests know that you are already married. I would skip the ceremony, but if you opt to have one, it is a vow renewal, not a wedding ceremony.

3. IMO, it's fine to wear your wedding dress for this occasion.

• Same reactions as your post on the E board.
  • i agree with bunni.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards