Wedding Woes

I'm going to shake my fist at world stupidity, now that I have a moment.

I'll preface this w/ my grumpy (I was grumpy BEFORE I read the it. Now I"m grumpier) thoughts:
Illinois school plans to shoot blanks during drill to get students used to gunfire 

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/duck-cover-school-plans-fire-blanks-gunfire-drill-article-1.1250435#ixzz2JTafc9h5

-my kid would be having a 'sick day'.

-I've been to 'active shooter drill' at my workplace. I do think there is value in drills...what I don't see value in is pretending that the kids need the 'realism' to make it real (and scary) enough. My child has a much MUCH greater chance of being a victim of sexual violence, of her house burning down, of dying in a car crash on the way to daycare tomorrow, etc. than she has of dealing w/ an armed shooter. I hope to teach her, as best I can, how to deal w/ those things--but the way to teach her that is not to 'pretend' she's in those situations in a way designed to scare her.

Re: I'm going to shake my fist at world stupidity, now that I have a moment.

• OMG.  What? ::blink, blink:: WHAT?

This is a terrible idea.  Terrible.

Also, the kiddo had an active shooter drill recently.  I think his teacher did a great job of being 'real' with the kids about what to do.  And that was to GTFO the school if they can and get as far away as possible.  There's a CVS and a church next to his school.
  • WTF! 

When I was a kid I got anxious when we did fire and tornado drills.  This would have put me in the hospital.

My kid would not only be sick that day, but we would also be going to a different school from that point on.  I wouldn't want my child accustomed to gunfire, blanks or not.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So incredubly WRONG!
  • This is giving me a panic attack.   WTF indeed.
  • I was in high school after Columbine, and I remember we had a drill where the teacher locked the door, turned off the lights and we all had to huddle in a corner out of sight from the window in the door until an "all clear" announcement was made.

I feel like that prepared us enough since we all knew what gunshots sounded like. Then again, would children recognize the sound and realize that there was danger? I feel like this could be argued both ways. But I'm not a parent, just a childcare provider.
  • AnitaH08AnitaH08 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2013
    This is the lunacy that results when people don't take the time to think. I personally think the parents should have had to sign some sort if consent for their kids to be there during this.

Also, I don't know that this will help. I grew up around guns (family of hunters), and hearing gun fire somewhere it's not supposed to be scares the sh!t out of me. However, that is partially due to the fact that there was a shooting at my college not long before I graduated.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • my parents lve 1/2 mile from a shooting range...my kid already knows the sound of rifle fire...
  • I grew up in the suburbs, and while my dad has always had guns in the house, he never showed them to us or took us hunting with him. So I can't say that as a young child I would recognize the sound of gunfire and think "oh sh*t duck and cover". The article doesn't say where the school is located, only that it is in a suburban area. I don't think it's the BEST idea - couldn't they have a school assembly outside or something with police officers shooting blanks to familiarize the kids with the sound? Or I don't know... play a recording? Just throwing out ideas.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_im-going-to-shake-my-fist-at-world-stupidity-now-that-i-have-a-moment?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:52f69723-9521-437a-aa3b-5b7b24b866cdPost:c953259d-a9c2-48e4-a73b-d53250007bd6">Re: I'm going to shake my fist at world stupidity, now that I have a moment.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I grew up in the suburbs, and while my dad has always had guns in the house, he never showed them to us or took us hunting with him. So I can't say that as a young child I would recognize the sound of gunfire and think "oh sh*t duck and cover". The article doesn't say where the school is located, only that it is in a suburban area. I don't think it's the BEST idea - couldn't they have a school assembly outside or something with police officers shooting blanks to familiarize the kids with the sound? Or I don't know... play a recording? Just throwing out ideas.
    Posted by CourtaniaLynn[/QUOTE]

It's Cary-Grove High School in Cary, one of the NW suburbs of Chicago.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards