Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Including Moms/Dads in Ceremony

Hi,

My FI and I are having a very intimate wedding (just 20 people total), which is going to be primarily family attending (his brothers and sisters, my aunts/uncles).  Our Mom's are now great friends (yeah!) and everyone gets along very well (the only FMIL stories I have are those centered around "she offered to help paint the walls of our house", "she helped my parents sell their house", "she is the best FMIL any girl could hope for", was excited about the ceremony and has been nothing but wonderful to me and my parents.).  That being said, due to the fac that my FI and I are having no attendants (small wedding ... attendants would mean 1/2 of those attending would be in the wedding), we both feel that it is extremely important to include our parents in the wedding ceremony in some way other than the FOB walks her down the aisle and the FOG stands up for him during the bride's walk.  I've though of unity candles but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions, because I would like this to be a really special day, not just the joining of my wonderful FI and myself, but the true joining of two families.

Please, help!

Thanks!

Re: Including Moms/Dads in Ceremony

• Our moms lit our unity candle with us.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am doing a parent's blessing, simple and goes like this:

Parents’ Blessing

This wedding is also a celebration of family. It is the blending of two families, separate up to this moment, but united from this day forward -- blending their different traditions, strengthening the family tree. To honor this uniting of the families, (Bride) and (Groom) wish to ask their parents' blessing.
    {To Bride's Mom and Dad)
    (Mother's Name & Father's Name), do you offer this couple your goodwill? Do you welcome (Groom) as a member of your family and give him your love and affection?
    PARENTS: We do.
    {To Groom's Mom and Dad)
    (Mother's Name & Father's Name), do you offer this couple your goodwill? Do you welcome (Bride) as a member of your family and give her your love and affection?
    PARENTS: We do.

I think it's a nice way to include them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • we are having our moms process in together, each holding a vial of sand. then when we have our sand ceremony, the minister is going to acknowledge the moms.
    image182 Invited! image108 Are ready to party!
    image74 Are seriously missing out! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have you seen a rose ceremony before? http://www.officiantguy.com/roseceremony.html
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We didn't have attendants either, and when it came time for the wedding certificate to be signed by two witnesses, we had our moms sign as the two witnesses. I think they got a big kick out of it.
  • Thank you for all the responses!  I really like the idea of having the parents give their blessings within the ceremony!  Thank you! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards