Chit Chat

I let him pick the date...

In desperate measures to get Chris excited about planning our wedding, I let him pick the date.

He and I originally planned to just 'be engaged' for a month or so and then start planning it once the holidays pass by. And that would have been lovely, but I knew knew KNEW that we had to pick a date and we had to find a venue. Venue's book a year or more in advance... I really just needed to know these 2 big things were taken care of. 

So last night, I was giving him a few dates that I thought would work wonderfully, August... September.. And with him looking at his calendar, he gasps, gets all excited and says, "Cakes, November 11th 2010... It'll only happen once... PLEEEEEEEEASE?"

He picked the most high volume date... ever. 
Now dont get me wrong, we picked a DATE! I am so thrilled! 

And now to find a venue thats not already booked on that day! *bites nails*
{the future mrs lb}

Re: I let him pick the date...

• I'd tell him that the two of you can try to find a place for 11/11/11 but to pick a backup date just in case.  Most likely, everything, including vendors were booked 2 -3 years ago for this.  If he doesn't believe you, take him on a field trip to this thread.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_let-him-pick-date?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:c9939e0a-7d7a-43ea-952a-55ca258652fbPost:24707d14-8fa0-4625-b8be-7f3738a579d1">I let him pick the date...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In desperate measures to get Chris excited about planning our wedding, I let him pick the date. He and I originally planned to just 'be engaged' for a month or so and then start planning it once the holidays pass by. And that would have been lovely, but I knew knew KNEW that we had to pick a date and we had to find a venue. Venue's book a year or more in advance... I really just needed to know these 2 big things were taken care of.  So last night, I was giving him a few dates that I thought would work wonderfully, August... September.. And with him looking at his calendar, he gasps, gets all excited and says, "Cakes, <strong>November 11th 2010</strong>... It'll only happen once... PLEEEEEEEEASE?" He picked the most high volume date... ever.  Now dont get me wrong, we picked a DATE! I am so thrilled!  And now to find a venue thats not already booked on that day! *bites nails*
    Posted by OhCass04[/QUOTE]

Did you mean Nov. 11. 2011?
    image165 Invited
    image9 are ready to party
    image0 Aren't coming
    image156 Can't find their mail box
    RSVP Deadline: September 19th

I will make mistakes
    I will face heartache
    On Christ the Solid Rock I stand All other ground is sinking sand I will not be moved Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio/ Blog
  • I would ask him to have a second choice in mind.  It definitely can't hurt to shop around, but you're likely to find most vendors already booked for that date, and the ones who are still available will hike up their prices.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • That's my birthday actually, and we want to have a party celebrating it.  I talked to a venue last week and not only was it not booked they were giving me a huge discount because it's still off-season.
  • I'm sure you can find something! Have you had any luck?

• I picked that date too, and I picked 9/10/11 as a back up. Our venue was booked for both days, as well as a few other venues we looked into. Good luck
  • It's a Friday night, so you probably won't have as much competition as say 07/07/07 when it was on a Saturday.  However, you should definitely have some back up dates in mind.

On the plus side, he doesn't have an excuse to forget your anniversary :)
    Photobucket
  • Consider something other than the big Sat night dinner dance.

We planned a wedding exactly one month after he gave me the ring, and while we had talked about getting married, I had not done any research work prior to getting the ring.

So we ended up having ceremony at 11:30, luncheon reception to follow.
    Wrapped everything up around 4:00, with time to get to our wedding night hotel in time to watch the sunset.

Sure, not right for everyone, but totally right for us.
  • edited November 2010
    My fiance also picked 11/11/11 and we booked our venue back in February. We have been booking vendors since then. If he HAS to have the date as did my fiance I would start booking asap. Also keep in mind your first choices of vendors may already be booked. I wish you the best of luck. :) Another thing to think of. 11/11/11 falls on Veterans Day so people may have off from work that day. If your venue of choice is booked for that night you may be able to book it for during the day.  Just a thought.
  • The best place to start (well, it worked for us anyway - so best for us) was to just start by just discussing what we wanted.  We agreed that we wanted the ceremony and reception in the same venue, so that helped us cut out a lot of options.  Then when we factored in other things, such as transportation, hiring a caterer, etc, we realized that for us the best bet was either a museum or a hotel.  So then we started researching venues that fit our criteria online, found several we liked and could afford, and then started visiting them.  It doesn't have to take forever, either (and I live in a big city with lots of options).  We narrowed it down to about 6 or 7 venues, visited all, and two weeks after our first venue visit, we signed a contract.  Good luck!

• By the way, I told FI about this post... a few days later he comes to me with an idea.

Jim: "Let's move the wedding up, and get married during the Superbowl."
    Me: "Why would we do that?"
    Jim: "I feel like it's my team's year."
    Me: "What? ..and no. No one would show up because the game is on.
    Jim: "It's like 11/11/11. Why not?"

He was serious, too. I had to tell him that either way, I can't plan everything by then. I love the way men think. Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards