Favors

what do you think about this...

we are having a casual beach wedding in Mexico.... 100% traditional wedding is not what I want. So, instead to have wine for the speach; we are thinking about giving personalized shot of tequila. Once they take the shot, they can keep the shot glass as a favor.

My step mom love the idea, my future mother-in-law says that the idea is tacky... their opinion isnt related with their ethnicity because they are both white... and my dad Venezuelan (in Venezuela we dont really do tequila)... me and my fiance want to make out wedding somehow different and memorable
Wedding Countdown Ticker PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: what do you think about this...

• edited June 2012

I recommend this to all people for the toasts: have at least two drink options for people to toast with.  For example, I can't stand tequila, but if vodka were available, I would be okay.  As for your FMIL, I can see how she would see this as tacky, since shots aren't really a "high class" drink. but if you and you FI want to do it, I say go for it!

• I hate taking shots. I would absolutely hate doing this and just not do the shot. I think if you are offering shots as an option, you also need to have wine or chammpagne or something else, since not everyone loves shots and not everyone loves tequila.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • It's your day! Your friends and family know you and your FH well enough to know if this fit you, so it wouldn't be a big deal...It's just like anything else. I would think about having options for people. Maybe you could have a few different options filled in the shot glasses and have them set out out a table so people can just walk by and choose which one they want?
  • I can't do shots and I have to say I would see it on the tacky side.  I guess if you had other options it would be fine but to mandate everyone must do a shot of tequila in order to receive a thank you for attending your wedding isn't cool.  

Do all of your guests have a need for shot glasses?  This is one of those favors I just don't see as being chosen with the guest in mind.  People who use them have them.  People who don't use them don't want them.  
  • Have options, please!  Many people may not care for tequila and many older folks may just not be into shots anymore.
  • BubbsNBubbsBubbsNBubbs member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I honestly would not take the shot, nor would I take the shot glass home. 

I think if you wanted to do this on a smaller level....like bridal party and family members who CHOOSE to participate and make a photo op out of it you will be much happier and so will your guests. 

edited for extra info

*Shots to a smaller group of people would be MUCH cheaper also. :)
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    Yes, I think it's tacky, but just because something is tacky doesn't mean you can't do it, just don't be surprised/upset if someone calls it that.  I would be more concerned because I think this will be bad for the guests, I personally don't like to do shots, and I won't do shots of straight liquor, but since it would be for your toast, I would feel obligated to do it.  At that point I would have to decide what is worse in my mind- not taking a shot, or intentionally not participating in the toast.

As PP said, you need to give options.  Even with a traditional toast, there is nothing wrong with guests using whatever is in their glass, whether it's a mixed drink, wine, champagne, soda, etc. I think a shot is going to be more coercive to the guests, as it's a completely different.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_what-do-you-think-about-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:34679843-555f-437e-8fdd-730055e8ad14Post:70d690d6-ba19-4db9-9605-a6b14cf3bed7">Re: what do you think about this...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I recommend this to all people for the toasts: have at least two drink options for people to toast with.  For example, I can't stand tequila, but if vodka were available, I would be okay.  As for your FMIL, I can see how she would see this as tacky, since shots aren't really a "high class" drink. but if you and you FI want to do it, I say go for it!
    Posted by Lark2013[/QUOTE]

our wedding isnt fancy at all.... his outfit is just shorts and a botton up shirt... my dress is short... we can something really casual... it is a barefoot casual wedding (if someone wants to use shoes or flip flop whatever, but it is on the sand)

But i will probably take your idea of 2 drinks options...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_what-do-you-think-about-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:34679843-555f-437e-8fdd-730055e8ad14Post:e20e46a3-5039-46f7-969f-389ed47546b5">Re: what do you think about this...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't do shots and I have to say I would see it on the tacky side.  I guess if you had other options it would be fine but to mandate everyone must do a shot of tequila in order to receive a thank you for attending your wedding isn't cool.   Do all of your guests have a need for shot glasses?  This is one of those favors I just don't see as being chosen with the guest in mind.  People who use them have them.  People who don't use them don't want them.  
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]

I know all my guest... and the only my mom and mother in law hate shots which im giving them wine.... everybody else loves shots and most of the people going to the wedding have bars in their house and they are always buying shot glasses (including us)
  • Well you know your guests better than all of us here, so if you see all of them enjoying and partaking in the shot, DO IT GIRL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards