Outdoor Weddings
Options

Choice of Gown

Hi,

I am getting married September 2nd outdoors. The venue is sort of rustic with a barn on site. The ceremony will be on the front lawn area and reception inside the barn.
I'm just wondering, for all of you brides that are having an outdoor ceremony, how much did you consider the weather when choosing a dress? I feel like I need to factor this in somewhat because it'll be warm and I don't want to be an uncomfortable sweaty mess, but at the same time, will this decision take away from finding the perfect dress? Does this make any sense? I am just curious how you all are making the decision that are having an outdoor ceremony/reception.

TIA!!

Re: Choice of Gown

• Options
    I was married on the beach and I wasn't going to allow my location to determine what dress I wore.  I wanted the dress that I would fall in love with, no matter where I was getting married.  With that said, it came down to 2 dresses and I chose one of them but I still think about the other one....but the only reason I didn't choose it was b/c it was a very very heavy dress and I swear my legs were on fire in the store and I wanted to be comfortable on my wedding day, not dripping in sweat.  The location didn't really have anything to do with it like I said.

Go for the dress that you fall in love and don't look back ;)

• Options
    I actually got my dress before we picked our venue if that tells you how much it matters to me. Of course you want to be comfortable on your big day but you also want to wear what you want and not compromise because of weather. Is the whole thing going to be outside? Like reception also? If that's the case, then yes you will need to consider it but, in my case, we will only be outside for the ceremony so it's not a big deal to me!
  • Options
    I've always heard to match the dress to the occassion--meaning, if you have a backyard BBQ, you shouldn't have a REALLY formal puffy dress.

I SORT of agree with that...but I also think if your heart is set on something and nothing else sparks your interest, choose what you'll be most comfortable in. Like, I think mermaid-style dresses are gorgeous, but I wouldn't be comfy in that. Choose what is "you."
  • Options
    I got a dress with a shorter train since mine will be outside.  I didn't factor the weather into much... if it was a really cold or hot time of year I would of given it more thought, but mines should be right in the middle.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My ceremony & reception is outdoors and while I haven't gone dress shopping yet I am VERY adamant that I will be comfy and not sweating balls on my wedding day. This means absolutley under no circumstances will I even be looking at ballgowns, heavy dresses, and layered dresses. Although, those aren't really my style either so that helps! 
    July 2013 Knottie Siggy Challenge: Location, Location! imageWedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    The only thing I took into consideration is when I was looking at the giant toulle Vera Wang dress from davids bridal. I think the pictures would have been amazing, but I thought it might snag really easily if caught on branches, or twigs. Also when I was decided between two other dresses, I picked mine because it looked more like my wedding. I can't explain it, but it just looked like I should be wearing it outdoors at our rustic elegance wedding. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! And to answer one of the questions, yes my whole wedding will be outside. Well ceremony outside and the reception in a barn... but no air conditioning in there. Just ceiling fans and stuff. So it could be really hot or might be nice... we're hoping for nice:) I think I need to somewhat consider the weather for the dress. I guess I'm ok though because the dress I love would be great for my venue. But I knew of my venue when I went shopping, so that was in the back of my mind the whole time.
  • Options
    Yay we are date twins! So because I am getting married in Atlanta I was worried about it being horribly hot. I went to a couple of different bridal salons and every time I would say that I don't want the dress to be hot they looked at me like I was crazy. I did find a light comfortable dress I love.

That being said that is my style. If it would have been a winter wedding I would have chosen the same dress. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Look at the "real Wedding" pics.. see if you like or think some of the formal dresses in the outdoor atmosphere look ok. My personal prefernce is the venue and dress should compliment one another, not make anyone wonder if I have a split personality!! :)  My venue is on the beach and I chose my dress according to the weather and over all " feel" i was goin for. I loved a Mermaid Vera Wang but it was much too heavy, so I found a less formal Vera that I customized and absolutely love. Its all about personal prefrence! best of luck to you.

• Options
    I think it had to be factored in, like PP said, but not something that determines it. That said, I like seeing when weddings match in formality. Think a ballgown at a bbq or a sundress at a black tie. I think there are many lovely dresses that will fit whatever you're looking for. 
  • Options
    I know this sounds a bit tacky.....

However when trying on gowns I was talking with the consultant about how warm I was going to be under the dress. She told me an "insider tip"  If you have a bridal suite have a small fan she said you could do a battery operated fan or plug in and put the fan under the dress. She said it cools you off and also helps "re puff" the dress when you need a cool down. Plus the BM's will like it to

I liked that idea i am also thinking permitting how things go at the bridal table to have fans going under the table for the bridal party. I figure since there will be long table cloth that people wont notice and it keep everyone at bay for a July wedding

I know I sure as hell dont want sweat dripping down my legs the whole night Sorry if its TMI
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards