Wedding Etiquette Forum

Inviting Aunts/Uncles, do I have to invite all cousins?

I know this is going to sound so rude to some.  But, our guest list is currently teatering on 400.  The quote for catering (the way we want it) is $16,000!  FI and I are paying for our wedding and this is NOT possible.  My family is huge.  I have 21 Aunts/Uncles and 38 first cousins.  So, I'm making cuts.  I've already decided on no kids knowing full well this will eliminate some guests.  I haven't seen some of my cousins in years and never speak to them but I do still see their parents at family gatherings.  Can I invite these Aunt/Uncles but not invite their kids?  Mind you, most of these cousins are grown adults with children of their own.  My heart is torn over this.  The pragmatist in me says they have no role in my life and theirfore don't need to be present to celebrate our marriage.  But, my heart says they are blood and should be given the opportunity.  I would like us to get the guest list down to no more than 250.... IDK what to do.

I'm also having a hard time reigning in the FMIL.  They have a small family but his parents have lots of friends.  I know this really is my FI job.  But, he's having a hard time putting his foot down. I know we'll get through this but, man, this is a pain!

Thanks in advance for the input.

Re: Inviting Aunts/Uncles, do I have to invite all cousins?

• Thanks for the input.  It really helps me feel a whole lot better knowing that others have dealt with similar situations.

FI and I are going to sit down and put together his guest list tomorrow!  Without input from any parents.  I'm confident we'll end up with a much more comfortable number and possibly offer any "extra" spots to his mom for her friends.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards