November 2011 Weddings

BBC: 11/22/63, Wasted Years?

SPOILER ALERT

Since Jake realizes that saving Kennedy turned out to be a HUGE future-ruining mistake in the end, and he goes back (after a slight nervous breakdown) to erase what he's done, do you feel like he wasted 5 years of his life?

Personally, I feel like he did.  I feel like all he got out of it was a bad knee, a broken heart, some gray hairs, and a lesson learned the hard way about changing the past.  I feel sorry for him, really.
image image image image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
17/100 books read in 2013

Re: BBC: 11/22/63, Wasted Years?

• I definitely think he wasted years of his life, but I also feel that if he didnt, he would have missed out on the best years of his life.  I felt the book really emphasized his lack of drive and motivation after his divorce and him going back in time seemed to make him really take a hold of how he wants his life to be.  He ended up battered, bruised and broken, but he was able to look back and say that he found the love of his life and because of that wouldnt change a thing.
    someecards.com - Sorry the America you fought for became a place that created a Justin Bieber movie
  • I think in some ways yes, it was wasted.  But without that he wouldn't have found the love of his life. So would he consider it a waste? Probably not.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    my read shelf:
    Savanna Funkhouser's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • RaeilyRaeily
    100 Comments
    I think he was really unhappy with his life after the divorce. I I think what he went through was difficult and heartbreaking but he lived his life more in those years than he would've in the present. He met the love of his life. I don't think it was really a waste. 
    January 2013 Moms - February Siggy Challenge - My Valentine
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • In Response to Re: BBC: 11/22/63, Wasted Years?:
    I felt that since he did decide to take up Al on his offer of adventure that he's now living life without many regrets. He knows for sure why the past can't be changed and in the end why he can't go back for Sadie.  I feel like he can truly live in the present knowing what he did/failed to do was the only right way.
    Posted by kodakitty
    I love this perspective.
    image image image image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • I think he lived and learned more in those 5 years than he did in his own life in the present. I agree that he seemed depressed and was going through the motions, so to speak, in his life before Al told him about the "rabbithole". 

Like the saying, "it's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all," Jake found his true love in Sadie, and I think those couple years with her made it worthwhile.

He also learned an important lesson about the past and present. Bad things happen, but there's  a reason. We may not always like the outcome or the reason, but we have to go through life, the good and the bad.
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards