Wedding Woes

Period on Wedding Day??

I wasn't thinking about it too much until today, my period is kind of tricky to track. I got anywhere from 25-32 day cycles, so I didn't think about it when planning a date. Today, is exactly 1 year from my wedding, and I got my period today....I'm not saying it will happen again this time next year, but it has me worried since I have bad periods. Not bad as in I bleed a lot, but bad as in I can't function. I throw up anything I eat and have such bad cramps that I can't get out of bed. I'm worried about this effecting the big day, just wondering if anyone had any advice at what I could do from now till then that may help.
Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Period on Wedding Day??

• edited December 2011
    try the pill? 

other than using some sort of hormonal birth control there's not really a whole lot that you can do to adjust timing of your period or reduce symptoms. if you really have that bad cramps and can't function while menstruating then the pill might not be a bad option for you anyway, it will help reduce some of that. talk to your ob/gyn about your options. 
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    talk to your doc about BC options that can help w/ the issues surrounding your period.
    You want to worry about that sooner rather than later so that you can get it solved--if you try BC option 1 and hate it, you'll have plenty of time to switch to BC optoin 2.

And the doc can give you a touch of advice on how to 'move' your cycle w/ some pills.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011
    Ditto zilla.  A debilitating period is cause to see a doctor.  Not just because of your wedding, but because of your life.

And a little anecdote.  My period was so regular I knew when it would start within a 10 minute range.  Six months before our wedding it stopped.  It didn't start again until after the honeymoon and I was back to the 10 minute range.
  • edited December 2011
    Pill!!! I know exactly when I am going to have my period and it will end just in time for my wedding
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have a very overprotective mother who doesn't believe in birth control or even seeing doctors for that sort of thing. I've been dealing with it since I was in highschool, I'd miss school the first day of my period every month unless it started on the weekend.....I do the same for my current job.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Get on the pill!  I figured it out and skipped a week (went straight to the next pack of pills) several months before my wedding so that I will have my period the week before my wedding, meaning I'm home free for the honeymoon too.  
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_period-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:76fa5485-a3ac-4d8a-8aeb-6c63b44e0b59Post:4c6f489b-dff9-42c3-8dd2-9e18d8b75013">Re: Period on Wedding Day??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a very overprotective mother who doesn't believe in birth control or even seeing doctors for that sort of thing. I've been dealing with it since I was in highschool, I'd miss school the first day of my period every month unless it started on the weekend.....I do the same for my current job.
    Posted by beckieda[/QUOTE]

<div><record scratch> Do you...still live with your <em>mother</em>? Oh, honey, no. You are not ready to marry if you don't live on your own first, and certainly not if your mother is dictating your medical treatment. </div><div>
    </div><div>FTR? The doctor's going to suggest the pill. I've been through this, because I've had debilitating periods all my life, too, and have philosophical issues with hormonal BC. There isn't anything else to be done at this point in medical technology, except give you the good drugs for your cramps. (And trust me - you want the good drugs. You're still in bed all day, but you're high, so what do you care?)</div>
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011
    If you are old enough to have a job and get married you are old enough to call a doctor and make an appt.  Your mom can no longer dictate your life.
  • SteveandKrisSteveandKris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_period-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:76fa5485-a3ac-4d8a-8aeb-6c63b44e0b59Post:9ce4f607-ad5a-4db7-b9ec-e01962c35a95">Re: Period on Wedding Day??</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you are old enough to have a job and get married you are old enough to call a doctor and make an appt.  Your mom can no longer dictate your life.
    Posted by 6fsn[/QUOTE]

Ditto this - however, if you are on mom's insurance plan and she sees the claims, go to planned parenthood - walmart/target and other stores offer BC pills for about $9 a pack.  No insurance claims there.  If you can't swing $9 a month, I agree with PP that you are not mature enough to get married
  • alikatt17alikatt17 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I'm assuming that if you've never been to a doctor for "that kind of thing" then you've never had a pap.  Since I'm guessing that you are at least over the age of 18, then you need to get one.  You can talk to your doctor about your problems when you have the pap done.

Or you could just get pregnant, I hear that makes your period go away too.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • E SquaredE Squared member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pregnancy.
    Hysterectomy.
    Big girl panties + birth control.
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Who are you to tell her that she isn't mature enough to get married? In many cultures people live with their parents till they get married, and many will live in large family groups after. Other people have been hit very hard by the economy and have had to live with parents as an only option for the time being. I know people that this has happened to. Shame for being so judgemental and ethnocentric.

Photobucket
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_period-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:76fa5485-a3ac-4d8a-8aeb-6c63b44e0b59Post:a25c8930-b1e8-4afb-a054-ab45760d47b5">Re: Period on Wedding Day??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Who are you to tell her that she isn't mature enough to get married? In many cultures people live with their parents till they get married, and many will live in large family groups after. Other people have been hit very hard by the economy and have had to live with parents as an only option for the time being. I know people that this has happened to. Shame for being so judgemental and ethnocentric.
    Posted by graysquirrel[/QUOTE]

In the good old U.S. of A grown women who are old enough to get MARRIED are old enough to make decisions about their REPRODUCTION.  It's one thing to live with your parents before you get married, it's another to allow them to dictate your medical care.
  • edited December 2011
    You should not be throwing up and staying in bed for 2 days of your period. That is not normal. You could have fibroids, cysts,a tilted uterus, or something else.
    Go to the doctor asap.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah I live at home with my daughter because I am in college and not working much.  I am ready for marriage BUT I am on the pill and it really helps with things.  Also is a good idea unless you are planning on a honeymoon baby!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_period-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:76fa5485-a3ac-4d8a-8aeb-6c63b44e0b59Post:14b1cc99-70d5-4127-8112-163e9d99d6ea">Re: Period on Wedding Day??</a>:
    [QUOTE]You should not be throwing up and staying in bed for 2 days of your period. That is not normal. You could have fibroids, cysts,a tilted uterus, or something else. Go to the doctor asap.
    Posted by lrowe70[/QUOTE]
    I agree she should see a doctor, but this IS normal for a certain percentage of people. There's nothing wrong with me - except my horrible periods. 
  • 1297249912972499 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_period-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:76fa5485-a3ac-4d8a-8aeb-6c63b44e0b59Post:4c6f489b-dff9-42c3-8dd2-9e18d8b75013">Re: Period on Wedding Day??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a very overprotective mother who doesn't believe in birth control or even seeing doctors for that sort of thing. I've been dealing with it since I was in highschool, I'd miss school the first day of my period every month unless it started on the weekend.....I do the same for my current job.
    Posted by beckieda[/QUOTE]

I would most definitely look into seeing a doctor.  When I was 14, I had the same issues, but they were getting progressively worse every other month on the first day too.  After spending a day of puking and in such severe pain, my mom made an appointment.  I ended up having cysts on my ovaries, which is pretty common, but they weren't going away.  In my situation, I had to have surgery to have it removed.  And I'm still dealing with it today.  Get checked out; weddings aren't as important as your health.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards