Michigan-Lansing
Options

New ceremony location

Hi Girls-

I don't get on here much but I am in DESPERATE need of a new ceremony location, and need all the ideas I can get.  I have the MSU chapel booked for Oct. 21, when I set the date this was just a normal home game weekend, fast forward a couple months and the football schedule changes and now its homecoming weekend.  I figured I could deal with it and our guests could come to campus the back way off Shaw st. to Bogue st., we were even going to shuttle guests so they wouldn't have to worry about parking and getting in the parade mix.  Yesterday I was informed that the Shaw and Bogue intersection will be closed due to construction so there is NO WAY to get to the chapel for the ceremony. The only option she gave was to have it earlier and have to guests out by 4 when they close the roads, out officiant is not available until 3 that day, and an hour is not enough time.  The Hawk Hollow chapel is booked that day and I am struggling to find an available place 4 months before the day.

Does any one have any ideas or suggestions??? I am super stressed and extremely upset and disappointed that MSU can not do anything else.

Thanks
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: New ceremony location

• Options
    gailpetegailpete member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    That truly stinks!

Would it be possible for you to shuttle all of your guests, say from the lot on Mt Hope & Farm Lane or on Service Drive, north on Hagadorn to Grand River and then turn left onto Cedar or River Street and then hit Bogue from Waters Edge Drive?  You may even consider shuttling them from your reception site to the chapel and then back to the reception site.

You may also want to talk to either public safety or the facilities department at MSU and see if the road closure on Shaw & Bogue is a complete closure where there will be a big hole where the road used to be, or if it may be possible to take a shuttle through there given the special circumstances.

Good Luck.

How large a facility do you need for the chapel?  There is an old church in Meridian Historical Park that they rent out for weddings, but I think it is somewhat small.
  • Options
    michgreenemichgreene member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at the Turner Dodge house in Lansing? It's kind of off the beaten path as far as ceremonies go, plus a unique venue! Only downside is they can only fit 100 people (which is why we aren't using it).

Best of luck!
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought they don't even book for football weekends for this exact reason.  Hmmm anyways....  Who have you been speaking with at the Chapel?  If you haven't already, talk to Steve.  He's great and super helpful and maybe he'll have some problem solving suggestions.

Are you having a full mass or something?  How long is your ceremony?  I don't see why you couldn't be out at 4.  Our ceremony started at 3 and it was maybe 20 minutes.  We could have easily been out by 4 if we needed to have been.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Bridge Street Wedding Chapel in Grand Ledge is great...I'm having mine there on Oct. 15!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! We did think about shuttling through Cedar Village but that is a no go.  I think we found a place in Okemos, The Village Chapel, we are going to go check it out this week.  It is a little smaller but we will have to make do at this point. I was thinking about trying to do a quick ceremony, so it still could be at MSU but I didn't want any added pressure that day. Hopefully this will work out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kmwingluvrkmwingluvr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hawk Hollow has a chapel, too. I'm not using it but it looks nice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Where are you having your reception?  Perhaps that venue has an available space that could be used for the ceremony.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards